Tunnel Ram on a Chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tunnel Ram on a Chevy 350

I have recently purchased a brand-new tunnel ram with two 600 cfm holley's for my GM 350, with double hump heads. I know the two 600's are too much for my motor, two 450 cfm would possibly work. My question is, since I already own the 600's will the engine perform if I only connect the one, and the other one just set there for looks.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

No! It will not distribute the a/f mixture to the other cylinders.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markedwarde
I have recently purchased a brand-new tunnel ram with two 600 cfm holley's for my GM 350, with double hump heads. I know the two 600's are too much for my motor, two 450 cfm would possibly work. My question is, since I already own the 600's will the engine perform if I only connect the one, and the other one just set there for looks.

Thanks, Mark
Tunnel rams are just plane doggie on the street, they are a race engine item and as such like to work way up in the RPM range. The problem isn't so much of excessive carb CFM (although its present) but is more of a lack of signal in the venturis. This is the result of several factors, the port runners being too big softens the signal, the plenum being really too big softens it more, and all the reversions from too many overlapping cylinders causes gaps and unwanted augments to the metering signals.

So it's really tough to get these things to function on the street with all this chaos going on. It can be made acceptable but it is a pain to set up. Basically you've got to reduce port and plenum volume. And still---------?

It works best with a manual gear box and really stiff gears out back, which takes you back to where I started, high revs.

Bogie
Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I was running two 600's and went to two 450's and it ran a lot better.My motor was a 11 to 1. In a 2300 pound 32 roadster.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

Most tunnel rams have adapters to run a single carb. Never used one but it might be worth a try. If its a mild 350 you might be able to get away with one of the 600 carbs you already have.

Jordon
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 PM

If you can do without the tunnel ram look for a street motor I seriously recommend selling the tunnel ram and getting a performance dual plane manifold.. search for test comparisons etc and you can find some intakes that will make you driving on the street much more enjoyable.. unless you already have a high stall converter, gearing, the know how to tune that thing right.. and a love high rpms, engine wear, and money for more gas. Tunnel rams can be rather cranky with the warm up as posted above as well. You can get dual plane manifolds that perform very well from off idle to over 6k rpms. the throttle response and power band were 90+% of street engine driving occurs is substantially better with the dual plane manifold..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.