Tunnel Ram I designed - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 01:46 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I think with selling something that's low volume in a niche market, your reputation is all you have. It seems like your carb setup almost makes them as specialty a piece as the top casting itself. So leaving a complex carb setup (something that is a dying art in and of itself) to a buyer spending money under the pretense of "ease of use" sounds like a lot of a risk.

I'd at the very least include a primer in the instructions giving a brief explination of why you need to make the exact modifications to the specific carb in regards to design and volume. Include the same text on the site next to the product that only comes with carb and top casting. With how fast word travels in this internet world, you should think about covering all your bases.

I think the idea is great though! Beautiful execution and an innovative way to cover a market that needs a product. I can't count how many tunnel ram setups I see that are for eye candy alone.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM
B.A.M.F

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i would suggest selling the carbs with the top piece as a kit and make sure the carbs are tailored to each customers application then you could get the carbs at a low price as a dealer and do the mods which probably dont take long if you know what you are doing, all u need is the specs from the customer on the engine so you can set it up and sell as a package deal and still turn a nice profit
Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Edited two posts. Commercial marketing links to the OP's site and pricing proposals aren't allowed. We do have free classifieds and PM's can be used as well.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

kind of a hi-jack--food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Why not divide it into "8 plenums" and just use it with carbs that have equal venturis and a mechanical linkage (along with 2 accelerator pumps and 4 corner idle etc). Essentially you would create an IR system from 2 4bbl holleys, which could REALLY make an improvement down low. Tuning would be easier than it is right now as well since you could tune each cylinder individually and there wouldn't be an uneven mix of cylinder pairings.

you could also try altering your cam timing on each lobe to compensate for the firing order, but that would take more R&D and $$$ than I think you would want to invest for a street application.
I have read this thread before, and I just reread it, and it really got me thinkng

what would happen if I only used the bottom half of my T-ram and a carb spacer to mount the throttle body EFI ????

would this make better throttle response?

or am I just trying to re-invent the wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intakes.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	63591  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:28 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

We need more of this

thinking out of the box is healthy and usually produces new tech that we can all use. go getem
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
I have read this thread before, and I just reread it, and it really got me thinkng

what would happen if I only used the bottom half of my T-ram and a carb spacer to mount the throttle body EFI ????

would this make better throttle response?

or am I just trying to re-invent the wheel
With your TBI, you should be better off mounting them on the normal plenum. With TBI, you get excellent atomization and distribution, even with the large plenum.

Atomization and distribution is the key to driveability - that is why I divided up the plenum. With carburetors, you need velocity through the venturis to get the metering to be correct at low RPM. But with TBI, the computer calculates the injector pulse width based on MAP and RPM - you don't need velocity through the throttle body to meter the fuel.

All that said, I have not built what you are talking about, so if you do it, let us know how it works out!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L79vette
With your TBI, you should be better off mounting them on the normal plenum. With TBI, you get excellent atomization and distribution, even with the large plenum.

Atomization and distribution is the key to driveability - that is why I divided up the plenum. With carburetors, you need velocity through the venturis to get the metering to be correct at low RPM. But with TBI, the computer calculates the injector pulse width based on MAP and RPM - you don't need velocity through the throttle body to meter the fuel.

All that said, I have not built what you are talking about, so if you do it, let us know how it works out!
I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm sure that I read that the reason why all TBI engines came stock with some sort of swirl function in the intake track (IE in the bowls of the heads on chevys) is because TBI produces such poor atomization?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7
I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm sure that I read that the reason why all TBI engines came stock with some sort of swirl function in the intake track (IE in the bowls of the heads on chevys) is because TBI produces such poor atomization?
In comparison to port injection, yes. But TBI atomizes way better than a carburetor, especially at low airflow. Fuel injection does not depend on airflow through the venturi to draw out and atomize the fuel, so the atomization is equally good across the whole range of airflow.

Here is a link to a statement by Jim McFarland, who knows as much about mixture quality as any living human:
http://www.maxchevy.com/columns/mcfa...farland-1.html

Port injection runs at 50-60psi fuel rail pressure, while TBI runs at 12-15psi. Plus with the injector next to and pointed directly at the intake valve, port injection does not give the fuel the opportunity to drop out of suspension while moving through the manifold. So with port injection you can set things up so the fuel evaporates at just the right time.

Last edited by L79vette; 03-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L79vette
In comparison to port injection, yes. But TBI atomizes way better than a carburetor, especially at low airflow. Fuel injection does not depend on airflow through the venturi to draw out and atomize the fuel, so the atomization is equally good across the whole range of airflow.

Here is a link to a statement by Jim McFarland, who knows as much about mixture quality as any living human:
http://www.maxchevy.com/columns/mcfa...farland-1.html

Port injection runs at 50-60psi fuel rail pressure, while TBI runs at 12-15psi. Plus with the injector next to and pointed directly at the intake valve, port injection does not give the fuel the opportunity to drop out of suspension while moving through the manifold. So with port injection you can set things up so the fuel evaporates at just the right time.
That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification and the reading material
Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

New Dyno Results

Got some new dyno results on an engine with more cam and heads than the Goodwrench stuff I posted before. We made +20lb-ft or more than the RPM from 2000 to 3200RPM, and beat it everywhere except the very top of the rev range. Very pleased, as the RPM is nearly unbeatable in every test on mild engines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	355 w L79 cam dyno.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	64256  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Very interesting , I have 4 Weiand tunnel rams, among others! But you don't sell the top plenums separat from the Weiand bottom ! So if I modified the tops for track use on different configurations I would need to buy whole intakes from you or if a top plenum was damaged in a wreck or say a carb fire and damage happened I cant buy a replacement top??

Your on a lot of auto web sights pushing this product, I don't see how Hotrodders is letting you get away with this when we other members cant even mention on a thread we have a used fender some one needs and are told to P.M. or put it in our classifieds!!!!!! Who do you kiss to run this advertising!

All your posts on hotrodders are on your product and your only thread is on your product that tells me your only interest on hotrodders is free advertising of your product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 01-28-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

IANAL, but I don't think he's actually broken the Hotrodders Bulletin Board Guidelines. His first post was edited, but that's been about it. He hasn't been here for nearly a year...
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
IANAL, but I don't think he's actually broken the Hotrodders Bulletin Board Guidelines. His first post was edited, but that's been about it. He hasn't been here for nearly a year...
Cobalt: LOL Whats IANAL LOL?

Yes its old ! I was on another thread and saw his Add was posted and bellow that thread was this thread; so I posted on it, (my thoughts)! What this guy got was free advertising that would cost big money for you or I or anyone else to do If we had a brain storm modification of a product! He has a captive audience on this sight! It just struck me as wrong!

Jester
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Cobalt:

google "Testimonials - Real Street Ram" to see a Hotrodders testimonial!!!!!!

There are three testimonials on this company's web sight They are all Emails except for this one that is cut and pasted on their web sight, From a hotrodders post on this thread! It just strikes me as wrong! I wonder if Mr fix it knows?

/attachment.php?attachmentid=70917&stc=1&d=13594111 220716[/url]

Jester
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	792edb5a35aab806c40b660efa9344b5.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	70917  
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

IANAL = "I'm not a lawyer..."

I see where he's all over the 'net w/it, yeah. But as far as him violating the policy here, I'm not sure he has- but one way to bring it to the attention of the powers that be is to hit the 'report post' icon and see what they'll do about it.

Mr fix it might even be a sock puppet.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.