Tunnel ram OR NOT ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 03:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tunnel ram OR NOT ??

I was wondering what are some pros and cons fo running a 2x4 high rise tunnel ram intake? I'm in the process of bidding on one on E-bay Brand new. This is a pro street engine in a 1986 monte carlo with a 496 cu. with all roller goodies and a powerglide with 5000 stall and transbrake.(more of a race car but still streetlegal) I already had the dart high rise single plane. But I hadn't bought a carb yet. They recommended me to buy a 1150 dominator. But if I get the tunnel ram would two 750 double pumpers be overkill or would I be better off with the 650's. ANY OPINNIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED GUYS . THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT AND ALL YOUR PAST INPUT. IF IT WASN'T FOR YOU GUYS I WOULDN'T BE WHERE I AM NOW

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2003, 05:09 PM

Is it that know one knows much about tunnel rams or are they overated and just for show???
Old 09-06-2003, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

I think the DP 650s if most driving is on the street, 750s for serious racing.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Unlike the links posted,your setup is much more radical.If you truly have a 496 that is built to run with a 5000 stall convertor and glide in a 3500# car{something in the 5000 to 7500rpm range},a well setup tunnelram will be worth at least 50# of torque and a similar amount of hp at every point in your rpm rangeover even the best matched single 4 barrel and dominator setup.I would stick with the 650 carbs though.Good luck.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:46 AM

Well really my engine cam specs recommend a 4000 stall but I got a good deal on the glide with the 5000 stall and trans-brake. Since this engine is mainly for drag strip action I think it will be ok! But I was thinking of going with 650's too I don't want to overcarb my engine. Like I said Holley recommended a 1150 dominator but that was when I was going to use the single plane. Thanks for your help and comments guys looks like I'll finally be starting this mean machine soon. It has been a long stressful and expensive process to get where I am now. But with your knowledge and experience in selecting my parts and etc. I now feel like it was all worth it. Who would have thought what started out as a 6 month project turned into 2 years and 5 months and still counting But I took my time bought the good parts and researched alot on the products I chose and follow the manufacturers recommendations except for the higher stall and now trying to decide about the carbs. I probably will call Holley for recommendation for the tunnel ram carbs to be on the safe side.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Chevy sittin' low

just my 2cents, but I would say that tunnel ram's are just a little bit more for show these days. You can get awsome power, but you could do the same with a single carb and single plane manifold. I choose the ram though, it halls balls, AND gets alot of looks.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:15 AM

I know they look cool but I'm trying to find out what to expect from a drag racing stand point. Is it astep towards more horsepower and torque. Rather than just turning heads with it's apperance?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Chevy sittin' low

I really don't know what too tell you because you allready have a monster engine, something I'm still striving for. All i can offer is that I race my car, and if that tunnel ram can do what it's done for my basically stock 350 w/ a 3.08 one legger, I can't imagine what it'll be like with my 383 build up, and some 3.73-4.10 posi gears in the rear.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:37 PM

Need help guys any info or comments will be appreciated. It is getting close to the end of the auction on E bay. If this intake will help me I will bid higher to win. Thanks in advance for your time!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:56 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by ss crazy
Need help guys any info or comments will be appreciated. It is getting close to the end of the auction on E bay. If this intake will help me I will bid higher to win. Thanks in advance for your time!
Assuming you have some decent rear gears... Buy it! You'll like it!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

It's a great drag racing manifold. Tunnels perform at their peak in high rpms, which is where you'll be on the track, and especially with that 5000 stall. It sounds like you are going to be racing this thing more than anything, and if that's the case, I'd go with the 750's. That 496 is going to be consuming a lot of gas @ 7 grand, you'll want to feed it as much as you can.

I do have one comment. With a 5000 stall, I'd put a temp gauge on the tranny if you plan on driving it on the street ever, along with a real good tranny cooler. It's not too often you see 5000 rpms on the street, and you'll run the risk of fryin the tranny...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.