To tunnel ram or not to tunnel ram - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Ya I did build one with two edelbrock 750's. Some one wanted it more than I did, I needed the money and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Another one is in the works.

Carb sizing for tunnel rams is well known to those that make them go fast.
Here is an example of a 347cid Ford with a t ram using two 825 cfm carbs.
Makes impressive horsepower.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...r/viewall.html

Tunnel rammed motors don't care about common carb size selection rules created for stock and near stock vehicles that make less than 350hp.
F-bird, The article is about 347 motor and it mention a 14:1 compression race motor. It is spinning 6000 - 9000RPM. That is strictly a track motor. We are not building a race motor. maverickmechanic13 want's a street, strip motor that he can use 93 Octane, not 114 rocket fuel. A car magizine wrote an article and was titled "Standing Tall". It was mention you can use Q-jets carbs on a tunnel ram and you can use vacuum secondary. And you can use small carbs.

Advertisement

Last edited by lg1969; 02-19-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969
We are not building a race motor. maverickmechanic13 want's a street, strip motor that he can use 93 Octane, not 114 rocket fuel. A car magizine wrote an article and was titled "Standing Tall". It was mention you can use Q-jets carbs on a tunnel ram and you can use vacuum secondary. And you can use small carbs.

No one on here told any one they cant do any of that! of coarse you can. Some how your missing the point! When I read the mans thread I took it he was looking for real power not a cruiser set up for looks!!

A person could have his wife set on the cowl with a big squirt can and squirt gas into the intake and drive around all day! And if shes in a bikini it'll look good! I'll Quote your one sentence "WE are not building a race motor." Who's WE !!! No ones trying to build a group of peoples engine We're just giving one gentleman some advice and he can choose any way he wants. Im not trying to make anyone rebuild their eng. If your happy stay with what you know and like! You can build a race engine and still have a street car thats what street strip means!! you don't have to have high compression and run high octane to have a 1/4 mile killer race engine! Even a stock option 60s 302 Z28 with the cross ram was street-able , high spinning, race engine! Among a lot of others.

Our whole hobby ( to some a life style) started with race engines in hot rods and still is and up here most guys I hang with still are traditional hot rodder's not many trailer queens or just for looks cruisers but I guess its a lot different there if a guy here said he was running 2 390 hollys on a tunnel ram every one would laugh & say WHY!! It would be worse if it was little spread bores! It must only be for LOOKs!!!!!! I dont understand why you people run the tunnel rams at all it doesn't make any sense at all to me!! Its like a childs pretend game Lets build what looks like a race engine and pretend! And with your answers on this thread your trying to tell someone he has to have the ball or he cant play the game! If Your not running the tunnel ram for performance your posing to be like someone who does! I think Mavrick mechanic (The gentleman that started the thread) isnt a pretender or he wouldnt have asked what was better. Because if he builds it like some people are telling him the answer would be easy!! Dont use the tunnel ram! Those are my thoughts. What do you think mavrick !

I really would like to know??: why run a tunnel ram of any design if your not going to take advantage of what it was designed for. A single quad and intake would perform much better then these setups some of you people are mentioning and I always thought people built for the best performance they could get. I see I am very wrong on that assumption!!!

I Knew a guy years ago with a 671 super charger on his car with 2 small hollys with chokes & vacuum secondary's on top, he had a 3 inch belt drive. the belt made the noise of a super charger. But the charger case was gutted just a big air plenum it idled ok & cruised ok looked real too! But I never could figure out why! The expense for the charger intake to do that and time involved to make the thing and the 2 carbs and scoop He could have got away a lot cheaper & it would have run better with a single carb and good intake. But if you answer that question (I really would like to know) I might finally have an answer!

No offense meant to any one who reads this (dont read between the lines) or guess what my emotions were when I wrote it:

Jester
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
The Joe Sherman 347 Ford motor article was to illustrate how a Race tunnel ram works, yup its a high cost , high rpm radical race gas only combo.

You can use anything you want on your tram for a carb, but don't expect it to go fast.

Now search for and read the Anvil SBC article. (3 parts)
Street strip, 3500-7000 rpm, 550hp runs on pump gas.
Street Tunnel ram + two 650 cfm DPers
And goes like hell.

I have a few tweeks I would want to do to the Anvil combo, but the basics are there.
it's a good reference: have a look for yourself

F bird: I don't think these guy are reading anything about the anvil! Over the years Ive read all the anvil articles They are great and should be required reading in all auto shops in all high schools!!!

Jester
Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM

Last journal entry: My junk

I had a tunnel ram once, on a 65 nova. 350 power glide. Put it on, went for a drive when it hit second gear it went sideways off the road into a field of scotch broom. That was enough for me.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

We ran the same tunnel ram and 450's that you are talking about on our 355 with a lunati voodoo 60104 cam. It ran absolutely FANTASTIC! We actually have the entire setup for sale right now.

All I had to do to get the "lean bog" tuned out was install 50cc accelerator pumps on the both 450's. It drives fantastic on the street and makes a ton of power. Watch this video of the car to see for yourself.

http://youtu.be/9_ILoi02cTA?hd=1
Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll have a beer with that.

Last journal entry: My Trans Am
Last photo:

To answer Jester's posts:
Thanks you for all your, and everybody else's replies as well. I have rebuilt many a motors so far. Stock ones that is. High performance (especially carbureted high performance) is where is still have tons to learn. I am 27. The more i learn about modifying engines to squeeze hp out of them, the more i realize how little i know about that aspect of the automotive world.

As everyone said already, and i understand fully - tunnel rams are high performance. They look cool, but if you can't walk the walk, go back to the drawing board and recompute. That camaro - i only use as a toy. I only want tot take it to the track and turn it loose see what it can do. Obviously i want to go fast (Ricky bobby style ), but i dont wanna look like an idiot. Esentially - it would look real cool when i show up at the track with a scoop sticking through my hood but if end up doing a 30second quarter mile after redlining my motor im gonna look like a real @$$hole.

If i can get more power from a dual plane intake and an edelbrock carb, so be it (it ll save me the trouble to cut my hood and ill be able to see out the left side of the windshield lol). In other words - what would be my best option to make power out of my setup, even with ditching the T-ram? What would be the most sensible way, using what ive already got, to have a decent machine?

As always, thank you everyone for all the great input.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Mavrick: I just built my wife a 302 like Smokie old school its at the dino now I set it up and make my changes with a single quad, single plane ram style high rpm intake get it right the way I want it to run and then go to the tunnel ram as my final set up, then when I tune it in, I pretty much eliminate everything that could give me trouble except for the induction system & dist curve & tune it from there! you dont need a dino for this.You can do it at home installed in the car! Run any good intake and carb that matches the rpm and demand of your build run that on street or track you should have very good time slips! You can always build a tunnel ram set up and swap it at the strip or at home it doesn't take long in the pits or home and it doesn't cost much (just gaskets) once its set up Remember to run a distributor that will fit behind the ram. If the ram is set up with a different curve get a second distributor to run!

You mentioned scoop: When you race don't run air cleaners in the scoop & you should make a bug screen though on the front ( I sucked a black bird in at 130 miles an hour once LOL ) that was a real mess!! Make sure your scoop is in the air streem at speed you dont want a low pressure area at the scoop inlet It will pull air away from the scoop starving your carbs!! don't take for granted that an over the counter hood or prefab scoop is fine because they usually aren't. seal the carbs to the scoop any gaps defeat the purpose of the scoop.

This is the scoop I made for a wieand high ram with hollys and air cleaners the little rize on the side gives clearance for my fuel line .Its in the air stream and I see fine! if Im at the track I pull the skull just 2 screws ( ran it once with the skull and deflected air away and slowed the car) My cars not pretty did a lot since those pictures were taken Too!

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum
/attachment.php?attachmentid=63146&stc=1

The pictures of my set up is in my gallery. I have 4 sets of carbs for my car over time youll have a lot of different set ups and a garage full of parts! your still young! Wow 27 LOL I hope I have 27 years left

Jester
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	63146  
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

I say keep the tunnel ram
Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
I say keep the tunnel ram

I think so too !

Is this a vote !: Jester
Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Jester: i meant 24 actually lol. The 4 is under the 7 on the number pad(oops) - i was typing really fast while i was at work so the boss wouldn't see me on company time (we had a few cars that needed attention at the time). DOB - July 13 1987

So you guys think i should keep the T-Ram and try to tune it as i go huh?

Also, Jester - the advice about not running filters while at the track - very obvious, yet very good. Never thought of that. Makes perect sense , although i never thought of it. A big duh is gratiously awarded to me. While not trying to sound ignorant, these are the tips and advice i need from the more experienced guys out there. Ive been at the track hundreds of times and raced, but it takes experience and advice from the seasoned vets of this game to get ahead.

Last edited by maverickmechanic13; 02-20-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

I think you'll be happy as the Washington turkey after hes pardened!

Jester
Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

lol

so any advice on what to do next? Since the motor is on a stand now,and easily accesible, should i swap out the cam? if so, to what? any course of action that i should take with the carbs?

ProStreetCamaro, that's actually very impressive. Setup looked like it worked pretty good for you.

I am rebuilding a TH350 tranny at the moment (its in the sopgetting hot tanked as we speak). Any ideas?

Once again, i can't stress how awesome all the input everyone is giving me is.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
I think you'll be happy as the Washington turkey after hes pardened!

Jester
Go for it and don't look back. May the force be with you
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

I really wish you guys lived around Cleveland, OH. I'd deffinatley buy everyone a beer, and hiopefully aloow me a chance to pick your brains one on one.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

I like tunnel rams, cant turn down a photo op

As pointed out earlier tunnel rams like alot of initial timing and/or even locking them full. As for carbs the "mild" type build might want to stay with the smaller carbs. I prefer double pumpers 650's on up depending on app.
When working on the 450 carbs found running the 50cc pumps beneficial. With that acc pump & cam will carryover the pump shot into the secondaries when they start to open. Each application is different and your results can vary.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.