To tunnel ram or not to tunnel ram - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmechanic13
Jester, that cam you mentioned seems like a reasonable candidate. Whe i ran the twin 450s on my motor, they were never tuned. Simply pulled out of the boxes and bolted on, motor fired up and ran decent. There was no work done to them what so ever, and they still ran pretty good. I had a total of maybe 6-8 hours on that motor, but it didnt foul out the plugs. That surprised me since i thought the motor was over carbed (900cfm between the two carbs) and it was puking fuel in the motor; it seemed to run somewhat decent, with what i already had, but a lot of people told to ditch the tunnel ram ideea, and everyone i asked had no clue about t-rams.
My 450s are reworked and actually flow quite a bit more, jet tuned with 50 cc pumps, Idles at 1800 rpm street (no problem with the stall converter at stops) my line lock is on the rear brakes if I put it on the front brakes The brake stall on the converter will push me through staging lights! Trans brake would have been better!! So I hold my line lock bellow flash stall But above brake stall and it launches great! I could have gone to a higher stall but would have had more slippage at top end right now slippage is only about 100 rpm at top end. And on the street it doesn't have as much heat build up as with higher stall converters. We put a lot of miles on in the summer! I run 650s on the street ( I put on 450s for my wife to drive lol ) They are her carbs for her tunnel ram set up for her 79 camaro she doesn't like the 650s on the vette every time she just touches the gas she lays rubber & gets mad I just laugh and she gets madder LOL

One Saturday Last year I went to an air port that holds a car show and old time drag race once a year on one of the run ways and ran the 650s (they're not stock out of the box either) I came home and didnt change em back ( I put it off and then forgot) On Thursday my wife and I went to a Pixies that has a cruise night every Thursday during the summer I drove there she wanted to drive back! When she was leaving and pulling out of the drive she hit the gas the vette went absolutely bananas And she panicked & gave it more gas LOL The rear quarters were just coated with hot rubber!! She pulled over and was just shaking all over I felt so sorry for her ( but I had a big smile on my face LOL) So we switched places and I went back to Pixies (after she got through punching me) so she could cool down & relax a little. When we pulled in she got a standing ovation !!! I thought she would smile but she just got madder & punched my shoulder again !! But at least now about 5 months later when any one mentions it she smiles & turns red in the face (shes so cute )! She never drives like that purposely the 650s are real light on the throttle, the 450s are stiffer she has to push a little harder!! So it was all my fault! I still smile when I think about it

Jester

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

That's a great story, But why would she be mad? She had the baddest Vette around. At least they would not bother her if there is a challenge.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969
That's a great story, But why would she be mad? She had the baddest Vette around. At least they would not bother her if there is a challenge.

There's always a car faster my vette is just a good running car among many not pretty just quick! There's a choice to be made in a build!! If I build an engine for drag Ill be coming home at the end of each weekend and tearing down that engine and going through it every week. And it will be built to the outer tolerances of what you can get away with! It will be built with all bottom end components, or all mid range or all top end. you cant run a top end motor with a bottom end intake and mid range gears and expect good results at the strip ( but with bracket racing I guess you can) A bottom end car can leave the line faster and be 15 car lengths ahead and turn in a 10 second time but a top end car will catch up in the second half of the quarter and can turn in the same 10 second time, witch is faster the one quicker off the line or the one that did the catching up? Plan a build just dont throw any thing together that makes H.P. one part can actually take away from another !a large tube header may not scavenge as good as a small in some combinations, a smaller head exhaust port then the header primary pipe can some times help exhaust reversion and create HP, a smaller intake port then the head intake port can do the same thing in some combinations.

On the street I want to have fun but still build for speed so I sacrifice what I want and settle for what I can live with. I cant run lockers, slicks, a lot of DOT tires that are actually for racing and slide all over in a slight drizzle , big harry cams, 5.88 gears, wheelie bars I build my engines for a summer and go all through em in the winter because I build em on the edge! but I still want to drive 500 miles one way to a show, I cant stand trailer queens, I hate throttle stops, I cant stand burn out kings with line locks on front brakes or no rear brakes but when their done with their burn out and hit second gear they puke, I hate superchargers that surge (but thats the in thing now) Or thumper cams!! H E L L just create a miss and save the money on the thumper if you want the sound! I run 110 octane or higher and I like it. If I have a long run I run premium with an octane booster and crank my timing back. My wife likes that pinia calada additive in my tank rather then smelling high octane fuel (I think its kind of sissy)LOL I like the cherry

Usually the slugs show off on the streets, and make it bad for the rest of us, I usually get some slug that pulls up next to me revving his engine with something to prove, it takes every bit of control to hold back but I do! (well most of the time) Sometimes Ill bob my front end up and they will back off! Every one on here knows what Im talking about!! Guys with the fast cars give a thumbs up to each other they have nothing to prove.

I run 18" x 3" collectors coming out 3"s past my frame under my doors with caps with wing nuts and I like to go into car shows with em uncorked! I have fun doing this I hate burn out contests where they chuck peoples front tires and spray water and you spin the tires till they pop (what the heck does that prove)

I guess I had A little rant: sorry:LOL Jester
Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I'll have a beer with that.

Last journal entry: My Trans Am
Last photo:

agreed well said
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 PM
I'll have a beer with that.

Last journal entry: My Trans Am
Last photo:

This is what my setup looks like. Actually thats what it looked like a while ago when the engine was actually in the car. It actually is on a stand next to the car now lol whie im building a beefier tranny for it at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00074-20090205-2110.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	810.1 KB
ID:	63046  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Ya I did build one with two edelbrock 750's. Some one wanted it more than I did, I needed the money and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Another one is in the works.

Carb sizing for tunnel rams is well known to those that make them go fast.
Here is an example of a 347cid Ford with a t ram using two 825 cfm carbs.
Makes impressive horsepower.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...r/viewall.html

Tunnel rammed motors don't care about common carb size selection rules created for stock and near stock vehicles that make less than 350hp.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-18-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Ya I did build one with two edelbrock 750's. Some one wanted it more than I did, I needed the money and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Tunnel rammed motors don't care about common carb size selection rules created for stock and near stock vehicles that make less than 350hp.
Killer engine build. Thats the kinda build that will make a tunnel ram shine. But now your comparing a "No expense spared" race motor to a mild engine. A sheet metal intake is far superior to a "out of box" tunnel ram. So you take a 14.5 to 1 with a sheet metal intake, a killer set of heads and a Vacume pump and your comparing apples to oranges.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
Killer engine build. Thats the kinda build that will make a tunnel ram shine. But now your comparing a "No expense spared" race motor to a mild engine. A sheet metal intake is far superior to a "out of box" tunnel ram. So you take a 14.5 to 1 with a sheet metal intake, a killer set of heads and a Vacume pump and your comparing apples to oranges.
The idea is the same. Don;t expect big things from a tunnel ram if you choke it with tiny carbs or a near stock cam. The origional poster did not indicate a mild motor. He wants to go fast at the track.

Like I said if its just a cruiser, then the carb size is not that important.
If you want to make some real horsepower give it all the carb it needs.

100% of the bad rap on tunnel rammed street-strip motors is from people that don't know how to build and tune such a car.

The edelbrock 650 and 750 cfm AVS and AFB carbs ( I use and recomend) have a air valve secondary ( that can be adjusted) They are very flexable on the street, on a t ram.
The difference is in how the air valve is controled and adjusted.

if its a wimpy `near stock cruiser use the 500 s

read the ANVIL SBC build up article. This is a cool streetable Pump gas Tunnel rammed 350 that haul ***. Search the Hot Rod Mag site for the article link.
The links I posted are no good. The articles are there.
Thats the basics.

If you fall for the small carb trap, you won`t get the power a t ram can make on the street.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-18-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

The Twisted Wedge style heads are not your friend. Modified non stock valve angle and location creates valve to pistons clearance issues with suitable cams that will cost a lot to correct.

More pain than gain with those heads. Any cam much bigger than the tiny one you got now will be difficult to install using those heads.
Custom piston valve relief machining is required.

The out of the box air flow is modest Not worth the modified non stock valve angle issues. You want more air flow than these give.

Thats one of a few reasons those heads were a big flop for TFS.

If you want to build a decent tunnel rammed street strip motor sell them off to another mild motor cruiser guy that can use them. and start with a decent 23 high flowing Small block chevy head. ( TFS, AFR, Brodix, Dart, RHS Edelbrock etc) The conventional valve angle 23 TFS heads out now are fair decent if you prefer that Brand.
TFS (Trick Flow Specialities) is owned ny Summit Racing now.

Look for a head with a 190 to 225cc intake port and conventional valve angle.
Again don;t wimp out if you want power. A t ram wants to breath deep.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-18-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

There is a different formula used for figuring Cfm on drag cars and street & mild build engines!!! I took for granted every one knew this! But I guess not, as your particular eng increases in efficiency Cfm and flow characteristics increase as well on a stock eng with the base formula a 350 eng might only need 450 or 500 cfm at 6000 rpm with a mild intake and cam.you change to a better intake with the same cam and efficiency and flow increases and the Cfm demand increases, on tunnel rams and other race intakes that demand increases drastically and there is a different formula for figuring cfm!!! The closer you get to 100 percent efficiency The more the formula changes and fuel and air demand increases!

A single carb intake does not reach the flow or fuel demand of a tunnel ram or its efficiency at the tunnel rams rpm ranges thats why they create so much power!! Im not digging through all my paper work to post the formula but as efficiency increases the numbers in the formula change (Its common sense) At 100 percent efficiency you can add nitrous and not gain 1 hp you cant go over 100 percent!!

One of the engineers on here must have the formula and can post it. The disagreement with fire bird doest make any sense to me hes right and there is no two ways of looking at it. If you dont believe what Im saying I don't really care you need a little schooling! I can build three engines exactly alike run three identical tunnel rams and carbs and each will have to be tuned different each will have different characteristics, I can take two carbs off one that are tuned in! put em on the other and have to change all the jets to tune it in! One eng. might run best with 750s but the other built exactly the same may run best with 800s. No one said you cant run little carbs and little cams and not be happy .But that if you only knew what you were missing you may change your mind.

These formulas I used to use all the time! but after 40 years I dont need to pull em out and read em. I pretty much know from exp f. bird probably through experience is the same.

One big carb on a tunnel ram is not as efficient as 2 - 4 barrels of equal combined cfm the front and rear ports get a slower flow velocity and air fuel charge then the 4 center ports even with the big plenem.So stay away from that combination.Stay away from spread bores the small primary's over their corresponding intake ports create the same effect same thing with vacuum secondary's I dont need to explain about vacuum secondary its only too obvious!! I dont want an argument, Im not going to be sucked into that again on here! Summit and other company's are selling cheep tunnel ram combos and will tell you the vacuum secondary carbs are set up for tunnel rams DONT BELIEVE EM!! They just dont work!!!! call the Holly techs they never designed those carbs for tunnel rams!! they were designed for stock replacement carbs! Look at all the vacuum ports on em they look like porcupines. You dont want any vacuum coming off any of your carbs in my opinion! If you need vacuum advance make sure you hook it to both carbs distributor ports in the metering block on hollys with a tee. It changes with other cabs but the same principle.

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 02-18-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 AM

lg1969

painted jester is on the money! I have a 383 Stroker w/700R4 and 3.90 Ford 9"rear axle. I've been running twin Holley 450's, w/mech. secondaries and no choke, on a Weiand T Ram for 4 years without any problems. I cruise around town and blow it out on the Interstate at 70 mph without any second thoughts. I also have hydraulic boost disc brakes, just in case I may loose my vacuum.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Quote:

F-bird, The article is about 347 motor and it mention a 14:1 compression race motor. It is spinning 6000 - 9000RPM. That is strictly a track motor. We are not building a race motor. maverickmechanic13 want's a street, strip motor that he can use 93 Octane, not 114 rocket fuel. A car magizine wrote an article and was titled "Standing Tall". It was mention you can use Q-jets carbs on a tunnel ram and you can use vacuum secondary. And you can use small carbs.

Last edited by lg1969; 02-19-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
F-bird, The article is about 347 motor and it mention a 14:1 compression race motor. It is spinning 6000 - 9000RPM. That is strictly a track motor. We are not building a race motor. maverickmechanic13 want's a street, strip motor that he can use 93 Octane, not 114 rocket fuel. A car magizine wrote an article and was titled "Standing Tall". It was mention you can use Q-jets carbs on a tunnel ram and you can use vacuum secondary. And you can use small carbs.
The Joe Sherman 347 Ford motor article was to illustrate how a Race tunnel ram works, yup its a high cost , high rpm radical race gas only combo.

You can use anything you want on your tram for a carb, but don't expect it to go fast.

Now search for and read the Anvil SBC article. (3 parts)
Street strip, 3500-7000 rpm, 550hp runs on pump gas.
Street Tunnel ram + two 650 cfm DPers
And goes like hell.

I have a few tweeks I would want to do to the Anvil combo, but the basics are there.
it's a good reference: have a look for yourself
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
We are not building a race motor. maverickmechanic13 want's a street, strip motor that he can use 93 Octane, not 114 rocket fuel. A car magizine wrote an article and was titled "Standing Tall". It was mention you can use Q-jets carbs on a tunnel ram and you can use vacuum secondary. And you can use small carbs.

No one on here told any one they cant do any of that! of coarse you can. Some how your missing the point! When I read the mans thread I took it he was looking for real power not a cruiser set up for looks!!

A person could have his wife set on the cowl with a big squirt can and squirt gas into the intake and drive around all day! And if shes in a bikini it'll look good! I'll Quote your one sentence "WE are not building a race motor." Who's WE !!! No ones trying to build a group of peoples engine We're just giving one gentleman some advice and he can choose any way he wants. Im not trying to make anyone rebuild their eng. If your happy stay with what you know and like! You can build a race engine and still have a street car thats what street strip means!! you don't have to have high compression and run high octane to have a 1/4 mile killer race engine! Even a stock option 60s 302 Z28 with the cross ram was street-able , high spinning, race engine! Among a lot of others.

Our whole hobby ( to some a life style) started with race engines in hot rods and still is and up here most guys I hang with still are traditional hot rodder's not many trailer queens or just for looks cruisers but I guess its a lot different there if a guy here said he was running 2 390 hollys on a tunnel ram every one would laugh & say WHY!! It would be worse if it was little spread bores! It must only be for LOOKs!!!!!! I dont understand why you people run the tunnel rams at all it doesn't make any sense at all to me!! Its like a childs pretend game Lets build what looks like a race engine and pretend! And with your answers on this thread your trying to tell someone he has to have the ball or he cant play the game! If Your not running the tunnel ram for performance your posing to be like someone who does! I think Mavrick mechanic (The gentleman that started the thread) isnt a pretender or he wouldnt have asked what was better. Because if he builds it like some people are telling him the answer would be easy!! Dont use the tunnel ram! Those are my thoughts. What do you think mavrick !

I really would like to know??: why run a tunnel ram of any design if your not going to take advantage of what it was designed for. A single quad and intake would perform much better then these setups some of you people are mentioning and I always thought people built for the best performance they could get. I see I am very wrong on that assumption!!!

I Knew a guy years ago with a 671 super charger on his car with 2 small hollys with chokes & vacuum secondary's on top, he had a 3 inch belt drive. the belt made the noise of a super charger. But the charger case was gutted just a big air plenum it idled ok & cruised ok looked real too! But I never could figure out why! The expense for the charger intake to do that and time involved to make the thing and the 2 carbs and scoop He could have got away a lot cheaper & it would have run better with a single carb and good intake. But if you answer that question (I really would like to know) I might finally have an answer!

No offense meant to any one who reads this (dont read between the lines) or guess what my emotions were when I wrote it:

Jester
Old 02-19-2012, 05:31 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
The Joe Sherman 347 Ford motor article was to illustrate how a Race tunnel ram works, yup its a high cost , high rpm radical race gas only combo.

You can use anything you want on your tram for a carb, but don't expect it to go fast.

Now search for and read the Anvil SBC article. (3 parts)
Street strip, 3500-7000 rpm, 550hp runs on pump gas.
Street Tunnel ram + two 650 cfm DPers
And goes like hell.

I have a few tweeks I would want to do to the Anvil combo, but the basics are there.
it's a good reference: have a look for yourself

F bird: I don't think these guy are reading anything about the anvil! Over the years Ive read all the anvil articles They are great and should be required reading in all auto shops in all high schools!!!

Jester

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.