To tunnel ram or not to tunnel ram - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Last journal entry: My junk
Wiki Edits: 0

I had a tunnel ram once, on a 65 nova. 350 power glide. Put it on, went for a drive when it hit second gear it went sideways off the road into a field of scotch broom. That was enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

We ran the same tunnel ram and 450's that you are talking about on our 355 with a lunati voodoo 60104 cam. It ran absolutely FANTASTIC! We actually have the entire setup for sale right now.

All I had to do to get the "lean bog" tuned out was install 50cc accelerator pumps on the both 450's. It drives fantastic on the street and makes a ton of power. Watch this video of the car to see for yourself.

http://youtu.be/9_ILoi02cTA?hd=1
Old 02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I'll have a beer with that.

Last journal entry: My Trans Am
Last photo:

To answer Jester's posts:
Thanks you for all your, and everybody else's replies as well. I have rebuilt many a motors so far. Stock ones that is. High performance (especially carbureted high performance) is where is still have tons to learn. I am 27. The more i learn about modifying engines to squeeze hp out of them, the more i realize how little i know about that aspect of the automotive world.

As everyone said already, and i understand fully - tunnel rams are high performance. They look cool, but if you can't walk the walk, go back to the drawing board and recompute. That camaro - i only use as a toy. I only want tot take it to the track and turn it loose see what it can do. Obviously i want to go fast (Ricky bobby style ), but i dont wanna look like an idiot. Esentially - it would look real cool when i show up at the track with a scoop sticking through my hood but if end up doing a 30second quarter mile after redlining my motor im gonna look like a real @$$hole.

If i can get more power from a dual plane intake and an edelbrock carb, so be it (it ll save me the trouble to cut my hood and ill be able to see out the left side of the windshield lol). In other words - what would be my best option to make power out of my setup, even with ditching the T-ram? What would be the most sensible way, using what ive already got, to have a decent machine?

As always, thank you everyone for all the great input.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:47 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Mavrick: I just built my wife a 302 like Smokie old school its at the dino now I set it up and make my changes with a single quad, single plane ram style high rpm intake get it right the way I want it to run and then go to the tunnel ram as my final set up, then when I tune it in, I pretty much eliminate everything that could give me trouble except for the induction system & dist curve & tune it from there! you dont need a dino for this.You can do it at home installed in the car! Run any good intake and carb that matches the rpm and demand of your build run that on street or track you should have very good time slips! You can always build a tunnel ram set up and swap it at the strip or at home it doesn't take long in the pits or home and it doesn't cost much (just gaskets) once its set up Remember to run a distributor that will fit behind the ram. If the ram is set up with a different curve get a second distributor to run!

You mentioned scoop: When you race don't run air cleaners in the scoop & you should make a bug screen though on the front ( I sucked a black bird in at 130 miles an hour once LOL ) that was a real mess!! Make sure your scoop is in the air streem at speed you dont want a low pressure area at the scoop inlet It will pull air away from the scoop starving your carbs!! don't take for granted that an over the counter hood or prefab scoop is fine because they usually aren't. seal the carbs to the scoop any gaps defeat the purpose of the scoop.

This is the scoop I made for a wieand high ram with hollys and air cleaners the little rize on the side gives clearance for my fuel line .Its in the air stream and I see fine! if Im at the track I pull the skull just 2 screws ( ran it once with the skull and deflected air away and slowed the car) My cars not pretty did a lot since those pictures were taken Too!

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum
/attachment.php?attachmentid=63146&stc=1

The pictures of my set up is in my gallery. I have 4 sets of carbs for my car over time youll have a lot of different set ups and a garage full of parts! your still young! Wow 27 LOL I hope I have 27 years left

Jester
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	63146  
Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

I say keep the tunnel ram
Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
I say keep the tunnel ram

I think so too !

Is this a vote !: Jester
Old 02-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

Jester: i meant 24 actually lol. The 4 is under the 7 on the number pad(oops) - i was typing really fast while i was at work so the boss wouldn't see me on company time (we had a few cars that needed attention at the time). DOB - July 13 1987

So you guys think i should keep the T-Ram and try to tune it as i go huh?

Also, Jester - the advice about not running filters while at the track - very obvious, yet very good. Never thought of that. Makes perect sense , although i never thought of it. A big duh is gratiously awarded to me. While not trying to sound ignorant, these are the tips and advice i need from the more experienced guys out there. Ive been at the track hundreds of times and raced, but it takes experience and advice from the seasoned vets of this game to get ahead.

Last edited by maverickmechanic13; 02-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

I think you'll be happy as the Washington turkey after hes pardened!

Jester
Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

lol

so any advice on what to do next? Since the motor is on a stand now,and easily accesible, should i swap out the cam? if so, to what? any course of action that i should take with the carbs?

ProStreetCamaro, that's actually very impressive. Setup looked like it worked pretty good for you.

I am rebuilding a TH350 tranny at the moment (its in the sopgetting hot tanked as we speak). Any ideas?

Once again, i can't stress how awesome all the input everyone is giving me is.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
I think you'll be happy as the Washington turkey after hes pardened!

Jester
Go for it and don't look back. May the force be with you
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

I really wish you guys lived around Cleveland, OH. I'd deffinatley buy everyone a beer, and hiopefully aloow me a chance to pick your brains one on one.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

I like tunnel rams, cant turn down a photo op

As pointed out earlier tunnel rams like alot of initial timing and/or even locking them full. As for carbs the "mild" type build might want to stay with the smaller carbs. I prefer double pumpers 650's on up depending on app.
When working on the 450 carbs found running the 50cc pumps beneficial. With that acc pump & cam will carryover the pump shot into the secondaries when they start to open. Each application is different and your results can vary.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

F. bird gave you a real good web sight, read about the anvil he posted where to look!! Its has real good info! On a build!

Jester
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 PM

Last photo:

lg1969 - after doing more research, based on what everyone told me, and also the articles FBird and Jester told me to read up on, i stumbled on an old post of yours from about 5 years ago, from a post somewhat simmilar to this:

Quote:
Tunnel Ram setup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys are still questioning if Tunnel Ram can run on the streets. I can tell you this YES.
I have a 69 Chevelle ever since my mother bought it brand new. I have own the Chevelle for 38 years and still enjoy driving it all over the Island.
Out of the 38 years of use, I had my Tunnel Ram setup for 25 years.
It is sitting on a 10.5 :1 compression 355cid with 2.02 heads, Crain fireball Cam, 1.6 roller rockers, with gear drive. The carbs I am using are modified Holley 390CFM. They converted from single feed to dual feed setup with metering block for my secondary from a 780CFM Holley. They are mounted sideways on a Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram.
The jets are 57 for primaries and 62 for the secondaries, and 6.5 power valve.
I use a blue pump cam on number 2 setting.
With this setup I even passed emission test before the law was change to safety inspection.
Now I got a 11:1 400cid SBC with AFR heads, Comp cam 270H the same 1.6 roller rockers and yes, gear drive. My 355 had so much low end torque, I can pull tree stumps. And now with the 400 I can pull a house. ( Only Kidding). The Chevelle pulls like a jack rabbit. Top end it will make your hair stand. The 400 is coupled to a 350 Turbo Hydro with 3000 stall converter with a shift kit, and a 12 bolts 4:10 gears for the rear end. As you can see, Tunnel Ram Setup will work with no problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by lg1969 : 10-04-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Do you by chance remeber the specs on that 355 you had? Cam specs maybe? The numbers you are bringing up on you part selesction seem crazy enough to work on what ive got...
Also, not to be an @$$hole or push the envelope too far, but on that same 355 setup, do you by chance have any track times or hp numbers? Thank you very much in advance.

Jester and FBird, i think them articles are helping

Last edited by maverickmechanic13; 02-25-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

I'm not to sure but it was .448/.448 lift with 1.5 rockers, 222@ .050, advertised duration 296/296. 109* sep. I used 1.6 Rocker which makes it 477 lift. It is a strong midrange cam. Slight lope to it. I used it on my 307 (30 overboard) and on 355sbc. Both used 64CC 202 heads that was used on a 69' 302 Z/28 engine.
The 355sbc was 10.5:1 compression. 3600 pound car I was doing 13.2 sec on the 1/4 mile with my 307sbc with street tires. Before they shut down the track. Now there is no 1/4 mile track here. I never had the chance to try it the 355sbc.
BTW: The 406 is using a 280H. I pulled the 270H. Too mild.
And you are not an @$$hole at all.

Last edited by lg1969; 02-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.