To tunnel ram or not to tunnel ram - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969
I'm not to sure but it was .448/.448 lift with 1.5 rockers, 222@ .050, advertised duration 296/296. 109* sep. I used 1.6 Rocker which makes it 477 lift. It is a strong midrange cam. Slight lope to it. I used it on my 307 (30 overboard) and on 355sbc. Both used 64CC 202 heads that was used on a 69' 302 Z/28 engine.
The 355sbc was 10.5:1 compression. 3600 pound car I was doing 13.2 sec on the 1/4 mile with my 307sbc with street tires. Before they shut down the track. Now there is no 1/4 mile track here. I never had the chance to try it the 355sbc.
BTW: The 406 is using a 280H. I pulled the 270H. Too mild.
And you are not an @$$hole at all.
No your not an @$$HOLE at all and your asking very good questions (I had to write something) LOL I deleted this tread off my controll panel!!!

Jester

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM
I'll have a beer with that.

Last journal entry: My Trans Am
Last photo:

lg1969, would you think that if i swapped the two 450 carbs with two 390s like what you have, and build them per your receipe with different bowls, a new metering block, jets and a different cam i may have a chance to make something work with my current setup?

I kinna started to feel really discouraged about this setup, and i started considering something more newbie friendly like a dual plane with a single carb. (i actually started another post about a cam, intake and carb swap, to see what people's opinions are). However, lg's setup seems reasonalble enough even a moron like me understands it. I'd like to keep what i already have, but i lack a lot of knowledge...

Thanks again everyone
Old 02-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Like I wrote before. Just get the 390 from E-bay. Just put it on TR as is. It cost less then buying it separate.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Lg1969 - pm sent.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

i think im gonna replace my friends with this forum looks like everyone here is more supportive, helpful and apt to answer my questions than most people i run into daily. Tunnel rams are the in thing now again?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

I never knew it was out
Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Maverick,

You've settled on running the tunnel ram. That's good, now you know a piece of your build. And it is one that you really should decide up front, to avoid a mismatched combination.

Next you need to step back and figure out your ET and power goals, and what RPM range you are going to use. Are you going to run slicks? Nitrous? Are you upgrading to a rear end that can handle massive abuse? How heavy is your car? Do you need to cage it for the ET you want to run?

Only when you know those things will you know what to do about rotating assembly, cam, heads, exhaust, rear end gears, converter, and carburetors. Oh yeah - how about budget? That one is huge, and really puts a cap on the ET goal. That said, you can do some pretty amazing stuff on a limited budget if you think it all through. If you just start doing without planning first, you might wind up being one of those guys putting your car on Craiglist while it is still in pieces.

There are folks here who can help a lot, if you are ready to do the hard work of figuring out what you want.

By the way - the 390s are good for a mild street build of maybe 450HP, but not for a fire-breathing 650HP race motor. But now we're back to budget. My advice is to not buy any more parts until you know what you're trying to build.

Reading this over, it sounds kind of harsh. Not meant that way - just want to help you get focused on where you want to get to.

Last edited by L79vette; 02-25-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
I never knew it was out
the change of mind can be seen here

so are we back on track with the tall X2?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

just my $0.02
if this is a 85% drag car/15% street car
I would use bigger carbs
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

A 13.2 sec car is not very impressive even on the street.
I warn you again if you run tiny carbs, expect tiny results with a tunnel ram.

If you want a 13 sec cruiser poser car go ahead. use small carbs and a small wimpy cam. It will not go fast with tiny carbs and tiny cam.
The 390's and 450's are lucky to make 400hp on a t ram motor.

Its obvious you did not bother to read the ANvil SBC engine build up article.
The Lunati solid lifter cam used on that 550hp T ramed street strip motor is
Lunati cam #40119. Look it up. now you are in the ball park and can make some real power and go fast.
This is the cam or something very similar Isky Comp, Crane is what you want to look at.
Not some 350hp mild hyd wimp cam.

A comp XR286R-10 (#12-772-8)or XR292R-10(12-773-8) extreme solid street roller cam and kit would be sweet too. Now you're cookin' with gas! A "K" gets you a complete K KIT Roller Cam and kit.

If you want real power and are going to buy carbs, get 650 to 750cfm carbs You can build your own very sweet HP style carbs using two matching common 650-700 or 750DP's as donors ,,upgraded with the cool Holley or Proform 750HP carb centerbodys.

DO not buy 600's to use as donors. the 600 carb base plate and throttles are too small.

Builds two very responsive tunable custom HP carbs for your tunnel ram that will make real power. Now you are race ready at a fraction of the price of new.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-26-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

This is the type of racing torque converter you should be lookin at.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-408500/

You want to go drag racing , you need the right drag racing torque converter.
( these ATI Treemaster converters perform very very well on the street too.)
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you insist on using the lame Twisted Wedge cylinder heads you'd best bone up on and get real good at camshaft degreeing and measureing valve to piston clearance. Any cam that has half a chance of making any real power, will require custom piston valve relief machining when using those non stock modified valve angle/location heads. They will need a good bit of hand porting to get the port flow up to snuff. + valve train upgrades.

If you want to to go fast, these heads are worth more to you sold off to finance a decent 23 ready to rock cylinder head.

They work fine on mild motors with mild cams.
Some one that needs this type of head will pay good $$'s for them in good used condition.

Does your 350 motor have a flat top piston or a dished piston now?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

F-Bird, if Maverick is happy running low 13s I don't know why you have to disparage that. He can still have fun bracket racing.

That's why I asked him to spec how fast he wants to go.

I'm not seeing where he answered "13.2". Maybe it is in another thread?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

FBird - i didn't realize there was a quiz due after you assigned me the reading material on the anvil article

Actually - i did read it. And i read more than just those articles. I wish i could afford what those guys are pushing as a bottom end. They named it "the anvil" for a very good reason apparently. On the other hand... i have to work with what i got. I cant go out to summit and back my truck up to their loading dock to stock up on goodies. When i got the tunnel ram combo, i knew far less about hp than what i know now - considering i know not much currently as it is anyway. Those twisted wedge heads? If they don't work oh well... i ll change them later. Its what i have. The title of this post is called "To tunnel ram or not to tunnel ram," and not "i have a tunnel ram - tell me what to do now." Everyone here has made very valid points about how to build a motor with a t ram to make power. Lg1969's and PaintedJester's setups i can at least wrap my head around. Now, in theory i undersand your point (FBird) about using big carbs for more airflow and such.
After doing your assigned homework, and read the anvil article, the authors from hot rod magazine used Holleys Stage 3 wild street systemax package. It seemed they made decent power with that so i really started considering that option. It seemed they had pretty good numbers with a mild enough build even i (with my lacking knowledge of carb tuning) could handle. Hopefully. The main reason why i started getting discouraged and posted another thread, that Matt picked up on quick lol

Quote:
Today 12:59 AM
matts37chev Quote:
I never knew it was out

the change of mind can be seen here

so are we back on track with the tall X2?
was that when i got to the part when they t-rammed that same motor (that is obviously a lot beefier than mine) the cam that they used would most likely be ridiculous for my motor. My 355 would probably quit me after ra few passes with such a setup.

Im not afraid to spend the money on the right stuff. i can spare a total of maybe 1500 over the course of this spring/summer to make something happen with my motor. Maybe more than that. But i do have other priorities as well. I dont expect to be the next John Force, i just wanna have fun at the track in a decent running car.

and P.S. this post was in no way intended to offend anyone. Especially FBird
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

13.2 sec with a 307sbc. In a 3600 lbs chevelle.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.