To tunnel ram or not to tunnel ram - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmechanic13
Another ideea i was kicking around, and i actually saw a few people do it was - a fuel injected tunnel ram. each runner had an injector bung welded into it, an injector stuffed in each bung, 2 sets of rails to feed 4 injectors. instead of running carbs, the guys ive seen had two proform throttle bodies. The fuel system was controlled by a megasquirt EFI stand-alone system that could be easily tuned with a laptop based on O2 sensor, TPS, (i dont remember if they had MAP) inputs, and a basic IAC setup. Injector pulse was piggybacked off the distributor or triggerd by a crannk sensor. I actally spoke to a few people that ran megasquirt efi (MSEFI) and everybody had good things to say. Pretty easy to tune too.
Some guys actually made their own T-Ram top to accomodate one single throttle body instead of two. Depending on the TBs used, without a progressive linkage that would be a whole lot of CFM all at once.

Check this link out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/210102...et-monte-carlo

The only thing that im slightly hazy about is - im pretty sure teh MSEFI was batch firing the injectors, as opposed to a tru tuned port injection system.

That megasquirt setup is some bad ***** stuff.

Food for thought

Yes - these work very well. It runs into serious money, even using Megasquirt, by the time you get injectors, fabricate rails, do the welding, throttle bodies, sensors, etc.
Batch fire is no problem. The only reason the OEMs ever went to sequential was for emissions. They were batch up to about 1995. Batch does not hurt performance.
For your intended use, carburetors on a regular top will be fine. I sell a divided-up tunnel ram that makes a ton of low-end torque for street use, but you can dial in your 450s, or a set of 390s, such that with a decent stall converter you will have OK driveability. You keep telling us it will be 85% strip anyway!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:

Theres a guy up here runs 2 throttle bodies taken off an 80's camaro cross fire , runs pretty good!! It suprised me!! He picked em up at a wrecking yard cheep!

Jester
Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
Theres a guy up here runs 2 throttle bodies taken off an 80's camaro cross fire , runs pretty good!! It suprised me!! He picked em up at a wrecking yard cheep!

Jester

That is surprising - those are small throttle bodies with a single injector. If I was going to try this I would use the two-injector versions from a 4.3L V6 or a 5.0L or 5.7L V8. Even the 5.7L TBI engines only made about 200HP, so to get the injector capacity needed for even a mild performance engine you need two of them. You still have to solve the problem of driving four TBI injectors, but Megasquirt can do that.
Tuning, return line, sensors, etc. are the real snag here.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

Here's the FAST unit on my project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012_0303V12build0001.JPG
Views:	590
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	63597  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Looks awesome!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L79vette
That is surprising - those are small throttle bodies with a single injector. If I was going to try this I would use the two-injector versions from a 4.3L V6 or a 5.0L or 5.7L V8. Even the 5.7L TBI engines only made about 200HP, so to get the injector capacity needed for even a mild performance engine you need two of them. You still have to solve the problem of driving four TBI injectors, but Megasquirt can do that.
Tuning, return line, sensors, etc. are the real snag here.
L79 vette: Those are the only throttle body's Ive ever seen on a tunnel ram and on the street up here it surprised me how well it ran at slow show cruises and parade's I never saw him get on it or even drive home on the highway (that's not the ran good I was talking about) I was just mentioning that throttle body's could be run on tall tunnels not just horizontal tunnels! I don't know how he solved the electronics but the way he talked he did it himself? End of my reply to L79

Jester

Myself: I wouldn't use injectors at all on a tunnel ram If I was going to run injectors! I'd pull the tunnel and run an isolated port like Hilborn with long stacks and build the engine for mid range power But the cost is the problem there too! and it would still not make the big power potential at high rpm of a well set up tunnel ram with carbs (thats my opinion, I used to run hilborn) If any one has never run the 2 and couldn't tell by the seat of their pants or track times, I don't need an argument

Jester

Speed bump: very nice set up!! How would they run without the plenum (if they were set direct to the intake manifold ports )? Or cant that be done with that manifold & injectors? I cant increase the size of your picture and my eyes aren't that good any more even with trifocals LOL Did you have that dyno'd or do you have an estimate on HP and RPM?

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 03-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I'll have a beer with that.

Last journal entry: My Trans Am
Last photo:

speedbump - nice work man. very nice.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
i was trying to keep it to myself because the F.I. guys give me a hard time but...

here is what I plan to use on my T-Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbump
perfect
thats what i was thinking
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
Speed bump: very nice set up!! How would they run without the plenum (if they were set direct to the intake manifold ports )? Or cant that be done with that manifold & injectors? I cant increase the size of your picture and my eyes aren't that good any more even with trifocals LOL Did you have that dyno'd or do you have an estimate on HP and RPM?

Jester
see post #34
Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

speedbump, you got exactly what I want

Quote:
have you ran that engine yet?
if so how was it?
how about a little more info on the engine--heads, cam grind, CR, etc
tell me about setting all of that up
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

It won't start/run with the injection set up for another month or two when I get the body on and do the wiring. I've run the engine with 2 600 Holleys on my test stand for about 1/2 hour to verify zero leaks, break in, set timing, etc. It's a 505cid bbc with oval port heads(781's if I remember right) that I put 2.190 intakes and 1.88 exausts in and extensively reworked the bowls and ports, especially the short turn. I'm no pro but they flow a little over 300 in the int. at .600". It's about 9 1/2 to 1 with those big chambers using KB forged pistons with the little bump and the piston .005 in the hole. Comp BMT cam. My goal is to see how this fuel system will react to lots of cam. It would be pretty neat to get it cleaner and still have the good sound and power. We'll see.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
It won't start/run with the injection set up for another month or two when I get the body on and do the wiring. I've run the engine with 2 600 Holleys on my test stand for about 1/2 hour to verify zero leaks, break in, set timing, etc. It's a 505cid bbc with oval port heads(781's if I remember right) that I put 2.190 intakes and 1.88 exausts in and extensively reworked the bowls and ports, especially the short turn. I'm no pro but they flow a little over 300 in the int. at .600". It's about 9 1/2 to 1 with those big chambers using KB forged pistons with the little bump and the piston .005 in the hole. Comp BMT cam. My goal is to see how this fuel system will react to lots of cam. It would be pretty neat to get it cleaner and still have the good sound and power. We'll see.
please keep us (me ) in the loop, when you get it running/driving

I am building a 496 about the same CR +/- with 781s with bigger valves also, (but probably not as much port work) and a Comp XE 274 H cam compared to your BMT cam if that set up works well for you, I would think it should work well, for me also

every time I bring up this type of a set up, the carb guys dont like it because its not carbs, and the EFI guys dont like it because its just a TBI system

for me, its about making the T-Ram work really well
and having something you dont see every day
Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

My thinking is like yours in terms of tunnel rams and I've had this idea for a couple of years but just wasn't willing to part with the coin for the EFI. Finally my curiosity beat me down and I bought it. It does have one injector per cylinder and the linkage is positive so it should work like the mulit port units other than having a little plenum which I think is a plus. I guarantee everyone will know if this deal works(or not), especially due to the cost. Like the guy said, "if it just takes money to go fast, my truck ought to go about 400 miles per hour.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

speedbump, what serpentine set up are you using for your alternator? I'm looking for something simple like that.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
My thinking is like yours in terms of tunnel rams and I've had this idea for a couple of years but just wasn't willing to part with the coin for the EFI. Finally my curiosity beat me down and I bought it. It does have one injector per cylinder and the linkage is positive so it should work like the mulit port units other than having a little plenum which I think is a plus. I guarantee everyone will know if this deal works(or not), especially due to the cost. Like the guy said, "if it just takes money to go fast, my truck ought to go about 400 miles per hour.
very cool set-up
I plan on starting with my RPM AirGap and the EZ EFI
Then down the road, when the car gets closer to being done, and the bugs worked out, and I get the loose ends tied up
I will switch to the T-Ram and get the add-on kit for the EZ EFI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intakes.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	63709  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.