Tunnel Ram/Vacuum Secondaries/Cam/Torque Converter - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If its a B&M converter (blue) the part number should be stamped on it.

The converter bolts/nuts are not the correct ones. Get correct converter bolts.
Fine thread from a trans shop. The bolts you have now, will come loose. Its not pretty when they do.

You'd be much better off with the B&M holeshot 3000 or super hole shot 3600, if its a 2400.
Especially if you go bigger on the cam.

The light car weight really tames down a high stall.

You have spin bearings, It's rebuildable.
The dyno test to dial in the carbs correctly instead of smoking the motor over and over again is money well spent.
Work it into the budget. Get a paper route.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Love it! I detail cars for extra cash...just need to do more!!!

I can't believe you noticed threads on bolts! You are just amazing!

Let me change subjects a bit. I'm reading a lot of articles on 396 builds and all of them note issues with the original heads (that I don't have), and problems with cylinder walls/interchangibility with 454 cranks, etc.

If it comes down to a cheaper alternative to mate my 454 Hi Perf heads with a new 454 short block (pick cam, pistons, etc.), isn't that the way to go? As far as I know, everything I have is going to bolt up - brackets, mounts, etc.

Is the only reason I would consider a 396, just because it is what the previous owner built the car with?

A 454 certainly should be more common place and hopefully less expensive than a two year production 396.

Of course this all will play out based on what is salvagable, but I don't think there is that much hp/torque to be gained with the 454 crank. I could be wrong there but 30 or 40 hp isn't going to be something I'm really going to notice missing or having.

Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

i thought you had all the power you wanted now?

396 BBC where produced from 1965 to 1974 (402) I 402 is just a 396 with a .030 over bore. All 1970 later "396"'s are actually 402CID.

Your 396 is rebuidable. Yes you can build a nice 454 too. or a nice 427 too.
The oil pump tube needs to be tack welded to the oil pump body next time.

I cannot fix your motor, online from here. But Joe Sherman can. Ya you have to pay him. This is how he feeds his kids. But you'll only have to pay him once.
He can get your Tunnel rammed big block sorted out. He has been doing this for 50 years.

Yes everything will bolt up to a 454. The 454 uses a different flywheel and balancer (external balance) Yours head are 454 LS-6 heads.
You can rebuild the 396 and have a beauti motor or build a beauti 454 or....

But if you don;t do it right you will end up in the same spot you are now.

Torque converter bolts: After 35 some years doing this, ya get to know what to look for.

Joe's been doing this for 50 years. Thats worth something. Go see him. See what he can do for you but do not waste his time with BS.
If you catch him when he's not too busy I 'd bet he'd be glad to talk to you.

Here is a sweet running dual quad 396 he did for another customer.
http://www.alteredwheelbasenova.com/

Utube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M61ZPqGQovQ

on the dyno
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 AM

Last photo:

Cool website the guy put together to honor the car and the man. Maybe I should fly you out here for the unveiling...

Noticed that same video on Joe's website when I looked him up yesterday. Must be proud of that one!

In a couple of weeks I hope to have an assessment of the damage. We'll see what happens from there. In the meantime, plenty of companies to call and inquire about parts to get a head start on things.

And about that power comment...yep, have all I want to take off...but greedy to scare myself some more after that...then I'll be too chicken to use it...

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

F-Bird, Eric, others,

Still no job, but did good news in that the speed shop is going to take care of most, if not all of the repair expense. In about 10 days, I'll have the engine at the shop and then we can see what the damage is.

In the meantime, I have been in touch with TCI for the converter and Comp for their recommendations on a cam.

TCI's numbers on what my car is doing, seems to confirm I have a 3,000 rpm converter in the car now. Replacing it with a Street Fighter might not change a thing. The consensus for now is to leave the converter there and check out the performance with the new cam, timing settings that F Bird recommended, etc. There may be enough of a shift in torque, that the idle creep issue is minimized.

Not really wanting to pull the engine or trans later, but saving $500 right now is a good thing.

Can't figure out how to make columns so each of the cams are listed below.

Hoping to go for the roller if the total cost isn't too prohibitive.

Magnum 270
Duration @ .50 224/224
Lobe lift .510/.510
Lobe Center Angle 110

Non Roller
Duration @ .50 234/244
Lobe lift .564/.566
Lobe Center Angle 112

Roller
Duration @ .50 236/242
Lobe lift .547/.566
Lobe Center Angle 112

F Bird - in a prior post you were looking for a 114. Any issue with a 112? Advantages that a 114 brings?

That's it for now. Need to get busy on an muffler solution before the pipes get sent to Jet Hot for coating. Starting on that later today. Need to let this engine breathe a bit - and see what difference it makes.

Thanks for any comments and recommendations!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.