Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tunnel rams are cooool
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632Mantis View Post
I must take a step back and admit something:

My head is usually in the "race" world. In the "street" world, pretty much anything goes.
People can do whatever they want to with a "street rod".

I really shouldn't give race advice to street people.
You do what you want, and be happy.
Like you said, it doesn't matter what I think. And you are right.

Having said that, if you decide to race it.... and you get whipped all the time... then come see me.
I might have some advice for ya.
( And so would 100 other people who hang out on this forum. )

Funny story that happened today:
This guy who works at one of our local machine shops calls me on the phone today. He is looking for some tires. A year ago, he was working on a project mid-80's tubbed Camaro. He finally got it running. I didn't have any tires for him, but I did have a set of rear-end gears. So he comes over in the Camaro project car to pick up the gear set. And guess what.
Yup... he was running a tunnel ram.
Talk about a crazy combination: 468 bbc, hydraulic cam, factory oval-port heads, 9:1 compression, tunnel ram with a pair of Edelbrock 600cfm carbs, headers, TH350 tranny with a 5,000 stall converter, 9" rear with ladders - 2.90:1 highway gears - and a pair of giant sprint car Hoosiers on some old-school Centerline solids.
I asked him, "you got a tranny temp gauge on this thing?"
He said no, but he had a big tranny cooler up front. ( good thing! )
So he takes me for a ride.
Funny thing is, he is getting away with this for a couple of reasons:
1. The car is fairly light.
2. That 5k stall converter allows the engine to rev up high enough to get that highway-geared rear-end rolling, and that tunnel-ram breathing.
3. The BBC makes enough torque to pull those gears.

I didn't say anything, but I was thinking about all kinds of advice for this guy.
He was in a hurry so I didn't get a picture of it, but next time I will.
I'll post a pic or two.
Lol.....OK, some of my junk gets missmatched, and due to budget or asthetics its always a compromise....oh lord pls dont call it a "street rod" lol....I make fun of my dad and uncle for being lawn chair riding street rod guys....but your right, its not a race car by any stretch of the imagination, it may see the track 4 or 5 times a year. Its really an 80's cheeseball pro street build, that was complete with teal paint and pink stripes....its going to be a beater hotrod for me that is about as brutal as I can afford. I had said elswhere, if i can get this big pig into a mid, or god help me low 12, i would be exstatic. And if I could run a BBC with an 871 I would, believe me....but I do have a thing for tunnel rams and with no hood I'm absolutely stoked about this build....so yes....I may have been a tad defensive lol....for that I apologize.