Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tunnel rams are cooool
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632Mantis View Post
Rams are a huge open plenum area with straight-shot long runners.
You can tune the velocity with plenum walls, and the diameter of the runners. But they still serve a single purpose: high RPM horsepower.

Rams do NOT make more torque.

You always see Tunnel Ram specs making power between 3,000-9,000.
( Usually its more like 4,000 and UP )

Single-plane race intakes are slightly lower at the bottom of their power curve.
Another thing is "swirl". Single-plane intakes swirl better than rams.
Keeps the fuel mixture atomized better.
Rams puddle at low velocity. ( Low velocity = below 3,000 )

If you want more plenum volume... run a 4500 dominator and intake.
DART makes great intakes for BBC.

You can run a 632 BBC with pro heads at 7,000 RPM's with a SINGLE dominator and a single-plane intake.

My favorite intake for street motors is the Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap.
That intake is the best of both worlds.
Torque, throttle response, and higher RPM flow. It does it all.

Like I keep saying, a tunnel ram on a street motor is for LOOKS.
If you like the look, go for it!
No rams make more tq and they do it high up in the rpm band. Tq does not equal low rpm.

There is no more swirl in a single plane. Now your reaching. The rams allow alot of air moving at high velocity hit against the back of the valve as ot closes and forces a lot more air into the chamber if setup correctly. Single plains are high rpm race only. Tunnel rams are actually more street able if you have the hood clearence.

Air gap is also pretty bad for street i would think the tunnel ram would be more street freindly for a lot of engine combos.

One thing they are really good for is big heavy trucks that are shaped like a brick and need massive tq at 6k rpm to get moving.