Tunnel rams are cooool - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632Mantis View Post
I hate tunnel rams.

And if you run dual 750cfm carbs you realize that is 1500cfm?
If they were sitting on top of a supercharger you could get away with it.

Well, I'm glad you hate tunnel rams! Because I was honestly concerned about Your opinion on my choice of intake. Fk, that mighta kept me up at night wondering, thank god you voiced your opinion as now I can get a sound nights sleep.
And yes.......my poor uneducated brain was able to suffiently add the 2 carbs cfm rating together successfully. Did you know that if I run 2 650' s that its 1300 cfm? Or to 450's its 900cfm, or 2 850's its 1700 cfm? I can keep this up all night.....
Timing and tune....you can make the 750's work well......

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I love a good fight ! pass the chips. crack me a beer!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM

choosing a dual quad set up is not as simple as finding what works as a single then dividing in 1/2,roflmao!
If a single 750 works ,then when you put 2 on,you use the same or similar size.
A tunnel ram is one of the key ingredients to make an engine that is normally aspirated and better than 100% V.E.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Both those cams really like to rev. The 3000 stall is not really enough.
Might even be too tight for correct idle.
Both idle very rough at 1000 rpm and need a loose loose converter.
They make big power with the right setup.
The converters we used were 3600 10" and a full race 8" converter (4500++stall), with that cam.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 01-03-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Old & Furious

ok so tunnel rams are cool but is that why your using one. I am building an engine that I hope will see north of 400 hp with a edelbrock torker II and single carb 600cfm. Now the torker II might need to be replaced with a victor style intake to make the numbers i want but it will be dam close either way.

For your setup a victor jr with the 750 dp is the goal anything else will be fluff and for looks.

Most people running a ram are far north of 400 hp. usally in the 500 to 700 range. Better to use a more street able intake with a single carb than to go wild with tunnel rams and dual carbs.

That being said if someone gave me the intake i would surely bolt it on to something. But not sure it would be a good choice for a panel van. and rpm air gap would run the number with less effort in tuning and much less cost.

If you already have a linkage for tunnel ram that works stick with that setup. Buying new linkage can actually cost more than the manifold. Sometimes you have to run what you got.

Is this a race car or street car?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

bygddy, You did not mention what gears are you running and how much it weighs? What tranny you are using?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
A tunnel ram is one of the key ingredients to make an engine that is normally aspirated and better than 100% V.E.
( i'll finish it for ya )

... ON A FULL RACE ENGINE.

( Which is why you see them fancy fabricated sheet metal intakes on them super-high RPM drag motors. )
Lets not even talk about the heads to match this kind of a setup.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Old & Furious

Not really for full race engines. Just for one that is built to race but not really all out. Tunnel rams give more tq and hp with a longer tuned intake length and larger ports to allow for more air to flow throught the carbs.

And it does build up intake velocity that would be good for 100% ve engines.

They do work even if a little old school.

I Really like hilborns for the same reasons.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Well, I'm glad you hate tunnel rams! Because I was honestly concerned about Your opinion on my choice of intake. Fk, that mighta kept me up at night wondering, thank god you voiced your opinion as now I can get a sound nights sleep.
And yes.......my poor uneducated brain was able to suffiently add the 2 carbs cfm rating together successfully. Did you know that if I run 2 650' s that its 1300 cfm? Or to 450's its 900cfm, or 2 850's its 1700 cfm? I can keep this up all night.....
Timing and tune....you can make the 750's work well......

Hahahaha.
Yeah, gotta have someone to kick around up here. It can be me. I volunteer.

Tunnel-Rams are stupid for several reasons.
( least of which is all the boat nerds think they are cool )

You see them all the time at car shows. They stick up real high, and people think 2 carbs looks cooler than 1 carb.
Looks like YOU are in that category. You go girl. Whatever floats your boat.

Fabricated tunnel rams belong on ProStock engines, and Pro-mod/Outlaw drag motors.
But hey, if you like the way they look, good for you. Run it.
I know people who think chrome hood hinges are cool.

Funny how defensive you got when I expressed my opinion.
( Like I kicked your dog or something. )
Tunnel Rams on street motors are GAY. You won't see one on my street engine!

Have a nice day, pal.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM

some people think that pick ups are street cars? aero dynamics of a house,,,to each their own true.
I choose a small block single 4 bbl to beat up big blocks/blower cars/tunnel ram cars and my car can turn corners without rolling the tires off the rims,,,
to each their own
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632Mantis View Post
Hahahaha.
Yeah, gotta have someone to kick around up here. It can be me. I volunteer.

Tunnel-Rams are stupid for several reasons.
( least of which is all the boat nerds think they are cool )

You see them all the time at car shows. They stick up real high, and people think 2 carbs looks cooler than 1 carb.
Looks like YOU are in that category. You go girl. Whatever floats your boat.

Fabricated tunnel rams belong on ProStock engines, and Pro-mod/Outlaw drag motors.
But hey, if you like the way they look, good for you. Run it.
I know people who think chrome hood hinges are cool.

Funny how defensive you got when I expressed my opinion.
( Like I kicked your dog or something. )
Tunnel Rams on street motors are GAY. You won't see one on my street engine!

Have a nice day, pal.

Lol, "you go girl" cute, and remotely entertaining.....but at the end of the day, yep, I like how they look, I have zero issue with that. In my junk, they don't actually "stick way up" but that's OK, it isn't a "fabricated" tunnel ram either. Its a good old fashioned plane Jane Weiand. I didn't get defensive, I simply reacted to a blunt, and unsolicited remark about how you hate my choice of intake....
Its going to have good old gold moroso valve covers, velocity stacks on top of the ridiculous 2 carbs, bright yellow accel wires, and I will likely paint my alum heads to hide them.....might even throw on a chrome Rad cap cause i won't have hinges....and im ok with, even look forward to a 70's cheeseball street rod theme....except it will hopefully actually perform half decent. I don't know you, your post wasn't constructive, or help full, or even up for an entertaining debate....pay attention, I can argue with several people here, sometimes even heated.....but most offer an opinion based on something constructive......as opposed to "boat guys hate em" or the one that really shows your level of intelligence.... "tunnel rams on street motors are gay" again, it seems I have been suckered into a debate with someone who has been here all of a month and means zero to me in the grand scheme of things........hang around a few years and get back to me with something intelligent or constructive and then we can have a real debate....till then your nothing but a guy with a half decent looking truck and a pss poor attitude....
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969 View Post
bygddy, You did not mention what gears are you running and how much it weighs? What tranny you are using?
Gears are going to likely be 488's and trans is a TH350, weight wise I'm not sure, I was told 3700# ish but that was with a huge stereo, and a bunch of crap in it, I suspect its going to be closer to 3500# or less, my dad has a very similar car, smaller, but similar, 1934 chev 2dr sedan, and with a full interior, back seat, power everything he weighed in at 2850#......so as soon as summer comes I will find out for sure tho...
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
ok so tunnel rams are cool but is that why your using one. I am building an engine that I hope will see north of 400 hp with a edelbrock torker II and single carb 600cfm. Now the torker II might need to be replaced with a victor style intake to make the numbers i want but it will be dam close either way.

For your setup a victor jr with the 750 dp is the goal anything else will be fluff and for looks.

Most people running a ram are far north of 400 hp. usally in the 500 to 700 range. Better to use a more street able intake with a single carb than to go wild with tunnel rams and dual carbs.

That being said if someone gave me the intake i would surely bolt it on to something. But not sure it would be a good choice for a panel van. and rpm air gap would run the number with less effort in tuning and much less cost.

If you already have a linkage for tunnel ram that works stick with that setup. Buying new linkage can actually cost more than the manifold. Sometimes you have to run what you got.

Is this a race car or street car?
Tunnel ram was for a few reasons, and absolutly some of which are pure asthetics, I'm OK with that...I wanted a no hood, 70's pro street vibe sorta deal, it has 70's center line solids on it, the motor will be dressed in full ghetto 70's vibe. It gets driven on the weekends, and occasionally to work, I love brutal anything. And will cam, compression and Carb it as much as I can get away with and still be comfortable driving it...and I have zero sense when it comes to what I will put up with if I find it entertaining. My dad has a smaller mellow version, 1934 chev sedan, with a 383 stroker, if I want something calm cool and colected to drive we will swap rides back and forth lol....but Friday night, when my week has been sht, and I have been dealing with soccer moms and the squeeks and rattles in their suv's or worse, the kids bringing in their modded, high boost Turbo stuff and arguing over why i can't warranty the big hole in their blocks after its seen 28psi of boost on a garbage tune, I want to jump in mine, sit and let it stumble and fight till its got some heat in it, and watch my guages, see my motor shake and move, and roll to whatever venue has a bunch of like minded people and just go screw around and abusing it cause it feels fantastic.......
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

2 Holley 4 Barrel HP 390 CFM Double Pumpers mechanical secondaries
My only problem is keeping the RPM high enough to make good use of the intake and cam.
Its fun and I drive it to work almost every day.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Tunnel ram was for a few reasons, and absolutly some of which are pure asthetics, I'm OK with that...I wanted a no hood, 70's pro street vibe sorta deal, it has 70's center line solids on it, the motor will be dressed in full ghetto 70's vibe. It gets driven on the weekends, and occasionally to work, I love brutal anything. And will cam, compression and Carb it as much as I can get away with and still be comfortable driving it...and I have zero sense when it comes to what I will put up with if I find it entertaining. My dad has a smaller mellow version, 1934 chev sedan, with a 383 stroker, if I want something calm cool and colected to drive we will swap rides back and forth lol....but Friday night, when my week has been sht, and I have been dealing with soccer moms and the squeeks and rattles in their suv's or worse, the kids bringing in their modded, high boost Turbo stuff and arguing over why i can't warranty the big hole in their blocks after its seen 28psi of boost on a garbage tune, I want to jump in mine, sit and let it stumble and fight till its got some heat in it, and watch my guages, see my motor shake and move, and roll to whatever venue has a bunch of like minded people and just go screw around and abusing it cause it feels fantastic.......
Ok got ya. Then run what you got that will be cheap and still work properly. I love the old anglia look with the big poked out hilborn injection tubes with nasty big cam and tons of ugly stance with giant slicks trying to hide under a narrow chassis. Always nice to toss the tennis balls in the intake tubes at the car show after you pull up.

You know they still make hilborn even got a street efi setup.

Hilborn Fuel Injectors

Also love the tunnel rams personally i would probably be using two 1050s race demons but i am a little stupid with my own cars. I usally run stupid big cams as well.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.