Tunnel rams are cooool - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

bygddy: F-bird has been a positive advocate for the TR's...
I don't post alot however seeing its on TR's share my setup. Years back helping out with friends cars/drag with carb tuning I decided to 'freshing" up a "street/strip" combo. A 30 over 427bbc with Edel roval port heads, comp extreme energy solid cam, with 10.75 comp. Then I wanted to do a dyno test comparison between edel rpm air gap and the dart single plane both where done with a BG mighty demon 850dp (The dyno guy was surprised at how well the single plane intake had done). And once I had a pair of holley 650dp's done we then ran the weiand pro-ram (eye candy is what the dyno guy called it ). Now this is from memory... the air gap 525hp@6400, Dart actually "peaked" at 6300rpm with 540hp. Now with the TR setup he ended up running flowmaster mufflers for the noise and admitted it would take some power away, It made 540hp@6400rpm, what we noticed was that the TR and the air gap were within couple of HP/TQ from start of pull 3500rpm to about 5000rpm then the TR pulled away and equaled the single plane but still carried thru where the single plane was going down (Now the dyno guy is a believer). There is a little more time setting up a TR however taking the time to tune any combo is key vs bolting on and going.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

Almost forgot here is a pic of my setup:
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
Do you have a dial caliper on hand there?
want you to measure the compression height on those.
Tell me the pin hole diameter and the distance from the pin hole to the piston top
using the dial caliper.

CH='s measured distance from pin hole edge to the piston top + (half of the pin hole diameter)
We checked that at the shop today, well one of my guys did.....does 1.561 make sense? I had called summit to confirm before ordering that they werntn "rebuilder" slugs at 1.540 and was assured they wernt. I suspect I'm just off a tad andc they are actually 1.560..!!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

They do look identical to a KB 4v piston as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Imp SS View Post
Almost forgot here is a pic of my setup:
Thanks very much for the positive words, and your stuff is incredible....very nice looking piece....
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Imp SS View Post
bygddy: F-bird has been a positive advocate for the TR's...
I don't post alot however seeing its on TR's share my setup. Years back helping out with friends cars/drag with carb tuning I decided to 'freshing" up a "street/strip" combo. A 30 over 427bbc with Edel roval port heads, comp extreme energy solid cam, with 10.75 comp. Then I wanted to do a dyno test comparison between edel rpm air gap and the dart single plane both where done with a BG mighty demon 850dp (The dyno guy was surprised at how well the single plane intake had done). And once I had a pair of holley 650dp's done we then ran the weiand pro-ram (eye candy is what the dyno guy called it ). Now this is from memory... the air gap 525hp@6400, Dart actually "peaked" at 6300rpm with 540hp. Now with the TR setup he ended up running flowmaster mufflers for the noise and admitted it would take some power away, It made 540hp@6400rpm, what we noticed was that the TR and the air gap were within couple of HP/TQ from start of pull 3500rpm to about 5000rpm then the TR pulled away and equaled the single plane but still carried thru where the single plane was going down (Now the dyno guy is a believer). There is a little more time setting up a TR however taking the time to tune any combo is key vs bolting on and going.
Its funny that your story is something I have heard a few times in the last couple days...the guy i got my tr from said the same, he had dyno'd a couple small cube motors, with
Single planes and big solid cams, and the tunnel ram actually had slightly higher trq#'s or equal from 2500 up, and several times actually equaled a good dual plane until 5500 where the TR walked away.....the lad with the beaumont (Canadian chevelle) I was speaking to today said he went from 12:00's to 11:70's right off the trailer with no other changes but a swap from a vctr Jr and a 750dp to the weiand and 2 600vs 's. So I'm hopefully for sure...
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
We checked that at the shop today, well one of my guys did.....does 1.561 make sense? I had called summit to confirm before ordering that they werntn "rebuilder" slugs at 1.540 and was assured they wernt. I suspect I'm just off a tad andc they are actually 1.560..!!
Yes, that is what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I'm starting to worry about my setup now, and maybe I better change it soon! My tunnel rammed SBC 327 turns in the 7's in 1/8th mile, and still gets 16 mpg cruising on the freeway with 3.73 gears, and 275-60-15 M&H drag radials.
But it sounds like something has to be wrong, so I better start looking for a hi rise with a single 4 barrel so I can perform better and get better mileage.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I was walking in Edmonton and saw coming towards me a first gen Camaro tunnel rammed.
He slowed almost to a standstill opposite me, looked over grinning and planted his foot.
The thing took off like a scalded cat.

That setup would never pass inspection here in Spain, I get grief with my 4" cowl.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I'm starting to worry about my setup now, and maybe I better change it soon! My tunnel rammed SBC 327 turns in the 7's in 1/8th mile, and still gets 16 mpg cruising on the freeway with 3.73 gears, and 275-60-15 M&H drag radials.
But it sounds like something has to be wrong, so I better start looking for a hi rise with a single 4 barrel so I can perform better and get better mileage.
Wicked Gasser....if I could afford it I would straight axle mine in a hearbeat.....moon tank, halibrands.....love it.
Very nice car sir.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Old & Furious

I am actually suprised ppl think tunnel rams are old. Single plane sheet metal was what they started with back in the day for race motors. Then built tunnel rams and got more low end and high rpm tq. Make perfect since its a nice taper into the port and increases the tuned intake length as long as 12 inches or above. It also increase the volume and allow for a larger gump of air. Also solve the 4-7 issue commonly associated with single plane intakes.

A ram will always make more tq than a single plane. And usally the same hp if designed right.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Lol....tell us how you really feel....someone took you to the cleaners it sounds like....
and she makes twice the dollars I do lol....you think I'm cheap now, without her I'm driving a clapped out citation or something....
Nah, but I seen plenty of situations with other guys.
Friends, coworkers, etc.

And thats another thing I hate about women... they are taking JOBS away from us!
Women belong in the kitchen. With their mouth shut.
I hate their yapping and gossiping.
They all think they are the queen of their own island. They think the world owes them something because they have ( you know what ).
They want to party, be the boss, and have others pay for it all.

Womens lib did nothing for society.

And the poster gals for my argument are: Hillary Clinton, Lindsay Lohan, Kathy Griffin, and SNOOKIE.

Tell me i'm wrong.

lol

Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I am actually suprised ppl think tunnel rams are old. Single plane sheet metal was what they started with back in the day for race motors. Then built tunnel rams and got more low end and high rpm tq. Make perfect since its a nice taper into the port and increases the tuned intake length as long as 12 inches or above. It also increase the volume and allow for a larger gump of air. Also solve the 4-7 issue commonly associated with single plane intakes.

A ram will always make more tq than a single plane. And usally the same hp if designed right.
Rams are a huge open plenum area with straight-shot long runners.
You can tune the velocity with plenum walls, and the diameter of the runners. But they still serve a single purpose: high RPM horsepower.

Rams do NOT make more torque.

You always see Tunnel Ram specs making power between 3,000-9,000.
( Usually its more like 4,000 and UP )

Single-plane race intakes are slightly lower at the bottom of their power curve.
Another thing is "swirl". Single-plane intakes swirl better than rams.
Keeps the fuel mixture atomized better.
Rams puddle at low velocity. ( Low velocity = below 3,000 )

If you want more plenum volume... run a 4500 dominator and intake.
DART makes great intakes for BBC.

You can run a 632 BBC with pro heads at 7,000 RPM's with a SINGLE dominator and a single-plane intake.

My favorite intake for street motors is the Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap.
That intake is the best of both worlds.
Torque, throttle response, and higher RPM flow. It does it all.

Like I keep saying, a tunnel ram on a street motor is for LOOKS.
If you like the look, go for it!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Thats a short ram, and if those carbs are small enough, you are fine.

327ci with dual 4's? Heh. Not me.

It's all about "LOOKS", isn't it.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
the most fun with a car like mine is knocking over pylons in gymkahana parking lot races. They do frown on the straight away burn outs,but crowds like it.
Thank God.

For a moment, I thought you might tell us you are into DRIFTING that sucker!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.