Tunnel rams are cooool - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I have a set here right next to me these are nice. If i was going to clean up the ports i wpuld need one sanding roll and 3 mins per port. They really are that good. I could go wild but the 210cc ports are very well shaped and pretty large. They would push 600 hp Nicely ported. For sure. I am hoping for close to 500. My intake is crap casue its a vette and i dont want to trash the hood and too much to replace. So if i hit 500 i will dance a jig but 400 at the wheels will easily make my day.

Yep read up on them and was going to buy bare casting or edel e streets or something but found these worked up with all the right stuff. Ready to go. I do plan to run a large victor intake at some point so wanted as much head as i could afford.

Have you actually seen in writing from procomp these are made in china. Cause china does not really do chevy car parts for the most part. And usally large lumps of aluinum come from canada or other countries with aluminum resources. Now i beleive you but have not seen it but everyone on the net screams china junk but china does not have much advantages for casting large aluminum parta like other countries do. I also would not put it past the aussies. But these could be made anywhere. All you need is a small foundry a large haas and a good patten.

These look alot like edelbrocks i was wondering if they were a sister brand of one of the big three. Since most of the time pattens are hardest thing to come buy. I would like to know if these are a stolen patten. But would not be suprised if one of the big three makes these dirt cheap and doesnt want there name on them.
Interesting read, a tad long winded lol...but good to read.
SBC Chevy 210cc Fully Built Aluminum Heads 64cc CNC'D | eBay

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=BuzzLOL;1631145]..
Hot Rod started to put up their SBC 350" 7 manifold comparison article online, but for some reason stopped at one page, instead of putting up a page for each intake/carb.(s) setup test like in the magazine... fortunately, I also have the magazine...

.. The Weiand Tunnel Ram that Summit sells in a kit with carb.s & linkage at a reasonable price is a STREET tunnel ram and perfectly streetable, including low RPM torque and good MPG (with sensible cam and gearing). Hot Rod tested it with the bottom level twin Holley 450's and said it ran perfectly right out of the box. Including, to their surprise, no unusual bogging despite mechanical secondaries, and NO DP, NO VS..!!! Summit had it a well tuned kit. It also outperformed EVERY other street and semi-race manifold at every RPM with MORE TORQUE and more HP. The only one to make slightly more top end power was the more race-oriented Eddy Tunnel Ram with much bigger carb.s (750 Dominators?), and they felt if the Weiand had been ordered with the 600 carb. option, it prolly would have beat the Eddy TR as well... but with slightly poorer low and mid-RPM performance, unless the VS's on the 600's would have helped there......
QUOTE]

Yea that was Hot Rod January 2002.. If you look futher in the article it was the Edelbrock Street tunnel ram (pn# 7110) with a pair of 650dp Race Demon TR carbs that made 503hp @ 6100rpm, and 452tq @ 5600. The Demon TR series were meant for tunnel rams hence the "TR". There is also a quote from Barry Grant in article stating "tall tunnel ram with small runners can be a streetable high torque setup"
Old 01-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Here is Hot Rod article: Chevrolet Small Block - The Anvil Gets Serious
Single four vs tunnel ram and then they put nitrous too it:

Chevrolet Small Block - Engine Buildup - Tunnel Ram, Nitrous - Hot Rod
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Imp SS View Post
Here is Hot Rod article: Chevrolet Small Block - The Anvil Gets Serious
Single four vs tunnel ram and then they put nitrous too it:

Chevrolet Small Block - Engine Buildup - Tunnel Ram, Nitrous - Hot Rod
What a piece of art....I love that motor....would love to try a couple plates jetted small, say 75hp each and see how long I can make the stock rods and block live lol.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Imp SS View Post
There is also a quote from Barry Grant in article stating "tall tunnel ram with small runners can be a streetable high torque setup"
.. Yes, the TPI guys like to toss their restrictive too long runners and intake base and bolt a tunnel ram base under their plenum/throttle body... gives much more HP and RPM with little to no loss of torque...

.. Wish HR would finish putting that article up online... there's one comment there asking where the rest is... which saved me from having to ask...

.. I'm wondering if he's going to like that 244/244 cam under 4000 RPMs... where it'll be 99% of the time on the street...

.. BTW, I think the sport mirrors look great on that van... better than old flat chrome mirrors... some more modern things are actually an improvement...

.. What color is the engine going to be?

.. When I was young, my contractor uncle and all the contractors around here drove those old panel truck/van things... seems like they were all black, as well... when I was 4 and ran away from home, somebody brought me back home in one...

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 01-06-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 PM

244 cam is not that big. he will run enough gear to never need worry about that. I think that 350 will hit hard from 3500 to 6800.My cam comes on strong at 2400 plus with a bigger single 4bbl. the t r will work well when figured out. a fella here had a gremlin with a 350 and 2x550 carters. It was crazy mid range power.I also liked the hockey stick stripe on the side.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL View Post
.. Yes, the TPI guys like to toss their restrictive too long runners and intake base and bolt a tunnel ram base under their plenum/throttle body... gives much more HP and RPM with little to no loss of torque...

.. Wish HR would finish putting that article up online... there's one comment there asking where the rest is... which saved me from having to ask...

.. I'm wondering if he's going to like that 244/244 cam under 4000 RPMs... where it'll be 99% of the time on the street...

.. BTW, I think the sport mirrors look great on that van... better than old flat chrome mirrors... some more modern things are actually an improvement...

.. What color is the engine going to be?

.. When I was young, my contractor uncle and all the contractors around here drove those old panel truck/van things... seems like they were all black, as well... when I was 4 and ran away from home, somebody brought me back home in one...
Converter and gear means I will likely be 3000+ most of the time lol.....
The sport mirrors I just cant do.....my dad went this route on his flat black 34 chev, and he loves them too. I'm gonna steal his chrome flat ones for this lol.
Motor paint I haven't decided on yet, the firewall is going to be red and white checker board, so i may do the motor in red.
Its going to be very low, and have red tinted windows...and yes, I'm aware that 99% aernt going to get it...lol
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Old & Furious

294s will be a little ruff but no big deal. Just floor it.

Here is what i was talking about for suicide doors. They open really wide of home built and time is taken to make aure they work correctly.

I pulled this link from another forum hope thats ok. Just the first one i found in a random google search. Not a willies but you get the idea.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/v...rtss/door5.jpg

Here is a link to the orignial post dont want to use someones pic without giving them credit.

suicide doors - THE H.A.M.B.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
The sport mirrors I just cant do.....my dad went this route on his flat black 34 chev, and he loves them too.
Motor paint I haven't decided on yet, the firewall is going to be red and white checker board, so i may do the motor in red.
.. Your Dad is obviously a person of incredibly good taste... LOL!

.. How about the engine in USA 'blue'? . (Not Ford blue)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
.. Your Dad is obviously a person of incredibly good taste... LOL!

.. How about the engine in USA 'blue'? . (Not Ford blue)
With the red and white firewall, and gold valve covers, blue won't fly....I'm thinking red, or black.....maybe even flat black on the motor....not sure.
I have like 4 months to figure it out tho.....its all snow as far as the eye can see round here.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

Interesting read!
and after reading this one should learn that a well match engine combo will go a long way, just do a lil research and take your time on an engine build even if it means waiting to get the etra money to get the best parts way better to do it right the first time thats how you save money in the long run!

As for cylinder heads there are a few great heads out there and a few average heads and alot of junk. will not name them most already know who they are if you have read any amount of forums or threads.

With that said if you are truelly looking for a great head and a reasonable price you will not go wrong with a set of profilers.

Have a set on my roller 406 after looking into a set myself hard to beat the flow and pinch on these heads are so nice theyll rival any AFR you match them up to.

I noticed you mentioned them, truely a great head and awesome castings aswell.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

.. You weren't able to keep the sparkplug wires where you had them in the picture, were you?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
.. You weren't able to keep the sparkplug wires where you had them in the picture, were you?
Don't even know what pic it was lol.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Cam came in today!
Brand new, comp 294 solid, with lifters for 125$.... very happy
Ordering heads tommorow
Summit house brand, 200/64cc with springs for 575
So now its just hardware and odds and ends.
Any thoughts on rockers? I have a set of comp 1.5 rollers but wondered if i should go to a 1.6? Puts me around 560/560
Opinions?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

Lol no good eye just randomly stuck them on quick to keep from tearing one on install good eye though lol

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.