Hot Rod Forum banner

Tunnel rams are cooool

44K views 122 replies 15 participants last post by  BuzzLOL 
#1 ·
So, here's what I have done....flipped, flopped, supercharged or not..383 or not....yada yada yada....
Summit rebuild kit, flat top hypers, 60 over, already ordered.
Then this, Weiand tunnel ram, 2 600 holleys
This I now have.
Then.......
Block is getting zero decked.
Turns out my 1150$ ik200's are actually 1400$ when I called to order....so decided on the Dart shp 200's. They will get some porting and clean up.
Cam will be Lunati solid, 247/256, 525/540, 106lsa, 100icl, pn#30120521
Converter is still the 3000 stall (yes I know a 3500+ would be better.
Gears will be 486
Long tube headers, 3" exhaust, undecided on mufflers.
Compression should be 10.5, quench is 0.041
Bottom end is ordered already, intake and carbs I have, converter I have.
So that's it....opinions?...no fights, gladly listen....yes Gary, even you lol....truce.
Will be running no hood, checkerboard painted firewall, gold moroso valve covers, Mr gasket velocity stacks....even bright yellow accel wires! Ghetto 70's retro with 80's cheesy pro street.....I love it.

See less See more
#9 ·
Yah, the 600's fit with no issue end to end, and I have a linkage already for that set up, but if its going to be a significantly better idea to use the dp's I can mount them sideways and buy a new lnkage.....I bet it would sound vicious at full song with 2 750 wide open lol.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
So if my choice was 2 600vs holleys, vs 2 750dp holleys, the tune is going to be easier, and its going to make more power with the double pumpers?
And yes, I knew there was going to be some effort with pv's and jetting etc to get them right. I'm OK with that
What did you think of the combo overall, assuming bodix/summit heads? Cam, compression etc....I'm hoping to turn it to 6500+ occasionally and would like to see an honest 400+ HP from 360ci.

#12 ·
That Isky is very similar to the lunati I was looking at, but 70$ cheaper....I have never used one, and don't have any experience with them which is why I hadn't looked.....little lower on lift but could always go to a 1.6 rocker if i wanted....

#13 ·
Lol.....not at all actually, I researched, I decided to keep the big van, and then decided what I wanted it to do, and how I wanted it to look, and perform, and I kept coming back to hoodless, and a tunnel ram....and really.....I blame you, every GD time I searched tunnel ram on Google, it kept coming back to you....and your many positive posts on them....;)
So if you feel like busting my balls I'm blaming you lol....and it wasnt stuck under my nose, i activily went looking for it. As for why I didn't order more today from summit, I had already paid for the intake, and hadnt planned on ordering anything right now, but had sold some g-body parts I had so had a bit of cash on me...when my parts manager ordered his rebuild kit today, I simply had him double it. So back to the begining, 750dp's, or the 600vs.....if you had to choose.....which makes more sense? And how do you think this thing is going to work?
Yes......I'm a pain.....I know this

#15 ·
Too bad you could not see the beauty and simplicity and assume power of the blower motor.?
You have most of the parts required already.
Now you are going to buy a head and rework it?
Whats the differnce from porting a 234cfm dart shp head from porting a 920 head
to more than 234cfm

Typical is 240-250 ( non profession home porting 2.02x1.60) on the 920 head.

Yup thats the data I got on those heads 234cfm in 170ex.

I got my friend to port one port on his 920 heads. after showing him a few simple basics and the basic port form he was seeking. ( I showed him one of my finished 305 heads) He had never touched a cylinder head in his life. He spent 1.5 hours on a intake port. remember he has never touched a head before.
After 1 hour of his work I flow tested his 1 intake port with the stock 1.94 valve, stock OEdM valve job, just his porting.
IT FLOWED 230 CFM.
I do, and would love to try one some day, but I just wasn't feeling it, its not like I'm going to toss these heads, and I'm using the spare motor I had for this tunnel ram build, so I will still port the heads,and still at some point rebuild this motor,and if i want to go blower, I will sell the panel, and buy something else and try a blower motor....all is not lost, I just want no hood, lots of motor, and love a tunnel ram so i figure I will try it.

#14 ·
SHP Small Block Chevy Cylinder Heads
Starting at:
$411.19
Dart’s SHP cylinder heads provide a low cost option to those looking for the weight savings of an aluminum head for a street performance engine.
523,retail assembled locally?
not sure if thats what you were quoted?

Ive used isky cams,last one was a Z-55

#17 ·
Your killing me here, i can't actually find the cam specs on the anvil build, I have tried, and like I said, I haven't bought a cam yet, so I'm open.....fine, i wont have killer Motown heads, or a dart block etc, but really, how convulouted is it.....10.5 compression, 2 dp carbs, big solid lifter cam, good flowing heads, say the brodix IK200's. .....your saying this is a terrible mixed up plan? The plan is -450hp, decent reliability, cool factor, and a big snarly sound.....don't even say "get a thumpr" I don't wanna hear it....and would like to actually hit my HP target.

#22 ·
Well, I'm glad you hate tunnel rams! Because I was honestly concerned about Your opinion on my choice of intake. Fk, that mighta kept me up at night wondering, thank god you voiced your opinion as now I can get a sound nights sleep.
And yes.......my poor uneducated brain was able to suffiently add the 2 carbs cfm rating together successfully. Did you know that if I run 2 650' s that its 1300 cfm? Or to 450's its 900cfm, or 2 850's its 1700 cfm? I can keep this up all night.....
Timing and tune....you can make the 750's work well......

#23 ·
choosing a dual quad set up is not as simple as finding what works as a single then dividing in 1/2,roflmao!
If a single 750 works ,then when you put 2 on,you use the same or similar size.
A tunnel ram is one of the key ingredients to make an engine that is normally aspirated and better than 100% V.E.

#30 ·
Tunnel ram was for a few reasons, and absolutly some of which are pure asthetics, I'm OK with that...I wanted a no hood, 70's pro street vibe sorta deal, it has 70's center line solids on it, the motor will be dressed in full ghetto 70's vibe. It gets driven on the weekends, and occasionally to work, I love brutal anything. And will cam, compression and Carb it as much as I can get away with and still be comfortable driving it...and I have zero sense when it comes to what I will put up with if I find it entertaining. My dad has a smaller mellow version, 1934 chev sedan, with a 383 stroker, if I want something calm cool and colected to drive we will swap rides back and forth lol....but Friday night, when my week has been sht, and I have been dealing with soccer moms and the squeeks and rattles in their suv's or worse, the kids bringing in their modded, high boost Turbo stuff and arguing over why i can't warranty the big hole in their blocks after its seen 28psi of boost on a garbage tune, I want to jump in mine, sit and let it stumble and fight till its got some heat in it, and watch my guages, see my motor shake and move, and roll to whatever venue has a bunch of like minded people and just go screw around and abusing it cause it feels fantastic.......

#29 ·
Gears are going to likely be 488's and trans is a TH350, weight wise I'm not sure, I was told 3700# ish but that was with a huge stereo, and a bunch of crap in it, I suspect its going to be closer to 3500# or less, my dad has a very similar car, smaller, but similar, 1934 chev 2dr sedan, and with a full interior, back seat, power everything he weighed in at 2850#......so as soon as summer comes I will find out for sure tho...

#27 ·
some people think that pick ups are street cars? aero dynamics of a house,,,to each their own true.
I choose a small block single 4 bbl to beat up big blocks/blower cars/tunnel ram cars and my car can turn corners without rolling the tires off the rims,,,
to each their own

#47 ·
So your street/strip car moonlights as a NASCAR on the weekends?
Who cares if it can TURN!
:D
Years ago, I was looking for a decent deal on a rolling chassis.
I planned to do a small-block VEGA or something like that.
I couldn't find anything close enough to me for a decent price.
So I decided to go a different route.
I had the old stepside truck for 20 years. I had no plans to ever sell it, so I decided I would build it instead of trying to find someone elses project.
( The truck has sentimental value. )
Trucks are not aerodynamic. It takes more effort to make them go!
I could have made a 9-second small block Vega easy.
You see lots of Chevy S10 trucks at the track, but not as many full-size pickups.
I'm not the quickest, but i'm still having fun with the old girl.
That's what is more important to me.

#38 ·
I'm about 35k on the highway till I get into town, then I'm light to light everywhere...but I have no issue cruising at 90kph ....I had 411's and 28" previously and drove that 800k round trip to a show a few summers ago....was all good, except in the rain, sitting right at 3000rpm and small 235 tires made any dip or blip of the throttle a little sketchy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.