Tunnel Rams For The Street? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Will I ever get it done?
 

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tulsa, OK
Age: 57
Posts: 1,049
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The "ram" in tunnel ram is there for a reason. A tunnel ram will cause the heads to flow more. Maybe not 30%. And only over a very limited rpm range. This is why drag classes which are allowed to use them do use them.
On the street where you have to operate over a fairly broad rpm range, the only benefit I can see is the "wow" factor. They can be set up to give excellent throttle response and decent gas mileage. But it is more than just bolting a set of carbs out of the box on one and going. Proper exhaust, the right cam, the correct ignition timing, and proper carb mods are all part of the equation.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
lg1969's Avatar
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bohemia, L.I.N.Y.
Age: 64
Posts: 1,059
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts

Last edited by lg1969; 10-13-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 466
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
The "ram" in tunnel ram is there for a reason. A tunnel ram will cause the heads to flow more. Maybe not 30%. And only over a very limited rpm range. This is why drag classes which are allowed to use them do use them.

A tunnel ram DOES NOT MAKE THE HEADS FLOW ANY MORE. As already stated by a different member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
lg1969's Avatar
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bohemia, L.I.N.Y.
Age: 64
Posts: 1,059
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
The word Ram, is it mean the ramming effect into the cylinder at a certain rpm creating sort of a poor man supercharger to some degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 466
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969
The word Ram, is it mean the ramming effect into the cylinder at a certain rpm creating sort of a poor man supercharger to some degree?

It does have a tuned range at which it does increase the volumetric efficiency, however it is FAR from a supercharger. Additionally a tunnel ram is NOT the only intake that can do this, any well designed intake can. Dual plane, single plane, IR, they all can be tuned for this effect. Additionally you can slap the word "ram" on a really poor intake and it will not make it any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 13,286
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 831
Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
That setup would never pass tech at a track. That stuff you are using for fuel line is "beverage tubing" made to run colas' and budwiper thru..
Seen it for many years. Threw them all out.. Disaster in the making Not on my watch..
NHRA 2010 Rulebook:
General Regulations, 1:5 Fuel Systems, Lines....
"All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or data recorder lines) must be metallic, steel-braided or NHRA-accepted "woven or woven-pushlock". A maximum of 12 inches total, front to rear, of non-metallic or non-steel braided hose is permitted for connection purposes only."

12 inches total means a 2 inch piece here, a 2 inch piece there, used for connecting hard lines and not totalling more than 12 inches of hose, all added up together, on the entire car.

You fellows don't think about these things, but if that beverage hose ruptures and the hot headers light off the mixture and there are any holes in the firewall..........

Another of the things you don't think about, for instance. If your battery is in the front, stock location and is not secured to the car. You don't think much about it, because you figure the battery will be there forever. And it will, as long as the shiny side if up. But what happens when you blow a tire at 90 MPH and flip the car. The hood comes off and the battery comes out. Now, we have a 40 pound missile going 90 MPH. Do you think that might do some damage????? What if your kids are in the trajectory?????

Us tech inspectors have to foresee the worst possible case and prepare the race car and the racer for it to prevent personal injury and/or death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: ok im on to my next big dream beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: fort riley kasas
Posts: 82
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajohnb
machinestheman,
Please don't take this as a knock, but it looks like you're using some type of plastic/ vinyl tubing as a fuel line. It's not a good idea to run fuel through it- that tube has no heat or abrasion resistance, plus I think gas will eventually break it down.

You can bend up some new steel/ aluminum hard line and connect to the carb feed line with a short rubber hose, if you can't afford braided stainless or push-lock fuel hose...
oh yes i agree i am not a fan of the fuel rail thing either and yes the car has not yet been completed that pic of the engine is the day i brought it home no trans and all but yes good looking out i am thinking about going with a holley blue fuel pump with a dual outlet regulator and running 2 seperate lines to the carbs but i got more things to buy like a distributor and converter the list goes on but yes the fuel line will go lol before i actually drive the vehicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: ok im on to my next big dream beast
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: fort riley kasas
Posts: 82
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
NHRA 2010 Rulebook:
General Regulations, 1:5 Fuel Systems, Lines....
"All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or data recorder lines) must be metallic, steel-braided or NHRA-accepted "woven or woven-pushlock". A maximum of 12 inches total, front to rear, of non-metallic or non-steel braided hose is permitted for connection purposes only."

12 inches total means a 2 inch piece here, a 2 inch piece there, used for connecting hard lines and not totalling more than 12 inches of hose, all added up together, on the entire car.

You fellows don't think about these things, but if that beverage hose ruptures and the hot headers light off the mixture and there are any holes in the firewall..........

Another of the things you don't think about, for instance. If your battery is in the front, stock location and is not secured to the car. You don't think much about it, because you figure the battery will be there forever. And it will, as long as the shiny side if up. But what happens when you blow a tire at 90 MPH and flip the car. The hood comes off and the battery comes out. Now, we have a 40 pound missile going 90 MPH. Do you think that might do some damage????? What if your kids are in the trajectory?????

Us tech inspectors have to foresee the worst possible case and prepare the race car and the racer for it to prevent personal injury and/or death.
wow 12 inches thats it thats good info i do plan on launching this thing down the track well after new rear, subframe connectors and new brakes all the way around but all in do time, so thats good enough reason to tell the ole lady that i need all steel braided ha ha gotta love good excuses to splurge on the expensive stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Will I ever get it done?
 

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tulsa, OK
Age: 57
Posts: 1,049
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969
The word Ram, is it mean the ramming effect into the cylinder at a certain rpm creating sort of a poor man supercharger to some degree?
With certain manifolds, you can achieve 110% volumetric efficiency or better. Simplified, that would be sort of like a 1.5 psi supercharger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tunnel ram set up advice/opinions needed please pal Engine 23 03-22-2013 04:53 PM
Tunnel ram with Vortec heads ? xxllmm4 Engine 11 09-27-2007 06:00 PM
Big Block Tunnel Ram 2X4 Question 74NovaRat Engine 12 01-28-2005 02:22 PM
Street Tunnel Ram 68stang_99 Engine 10 08-16-2002 05:27 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.