Hot Rod Forum banner

turbine paint systems

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Old Fool 
#1 ·
My son is thinking on buying a turbine paint system. I don't think it could put out a good spray pattern. Especially the urethane , i would imagine it would produce an orange peel like cottage cheese. anybody used this type of system. Because my son has a small compressor i suggest to him to get a LPLV paint gun. I think the turbines is only for woodwork. appreciate your input before he makes a purchase. i told him of this web site and he should investigate. thanks

#2 ·
As you said, AKA fence painters.

Most important thing, is there are two types, hot air where the gun will get very warm and then the newer cool air type, where air temp may be 70-80 +/- at the gun.

the hot air works great with low grade paints or enamels but rotten with better paints AKA urethanes and polyurethanes.

The cool air ones are workable with the better paints if you can dial in the right tip size and gun. This is the key and problem all in one!

Personally for me, never but I deal with a lot of aircraft people that use these successfully but they will tell you its a long learning curve, figuring out how slow an activator or reducer to add, as all temp related activators and reducers go out the window and normally they are going a grade slower, all things being equal.

#3 · (Edited)
I have an Earlex Turbine sprayer and was able to get decent results but only after a ton of trial and error. I've sprayed epoxy primer, high fill primer and single stage urethane with no problem after compensating for the hot air issues.
Of course you don't have to worry with moisture or oil in the air so those are some positives.

#4 ·
I have a Fuji 4 stage system that I use with waterbase
paints. BarryK alluded to the main problem which is heated
air, but that can be dealt with by adding an extra length
of hose and curliing it in a water bucket.

Turbine systems have much less bounce back, which translates
to less overspray and less paint waste.

The key is to get the biggest (most stages) you can afford;
at least a 3 or better yet a 4 stage, something that puts out
aroung 8 psi. These will give an excellect finish with virtually no
orange peel, reducing the need to color sand.

#5 ·
I have a 3 stage turbine. I use it for furniture and cabinets. Shooting cabinet lacquer I quickly learned the hot air was drying my paint way to fast. I looked around the shop at work and found a couple foot section of 1" fin tube. 2 fittings soldered to the ends and it was ready to put inline . I set a fan behind the fin tube and have not had any further issues with fast drying. I was concerned about water condensation but it wasn't an issue,our humidty is normally quite low in the summers here.

Would I paint a car with it, NO,I don''t want to find out at the cost of materials how well it would or wouldn't work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.