turbo an a 250 straight 6? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM
NO trailers just DRIVE IT

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

turbo an a 250 straight 6?

Ok I have a 62 chevy 2/nova I am restoring my question is how do you think a turbo on a 250 straight 6 would run. I have a turbo off of a turbo coupe thunderbird I could use just need to make the exhaust and mounting plate to get it to work. Can this turbo be plumbed to a two barrel carb and get more power from the 250. Oh yea its been bored .030 over new rings a hotter cam and is running a 194 head thats been ported polished and shaved .010 to even out the bottom(was slightly damaged from sliding on a concrete floor). The engine is linked to a turbo 350 with a 2200 stall converter. 4.10 gears in the rear.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

I know they was turboing the 258 amc's with nice results. Do a search and Im sure youll have luck. HG

p.s. Nice bike!

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

turbo 6

Did the search and went to turbofast.com entered in my engine specs and it is estimated to put out 300 to 320hp and 325 to 350 pound feet of torque. I think thats pretty good for an engine with 145 stock hp.

Chop
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 AM

Last photo:

What compression ratio?

What are your cam specs?

What boost are you planning to run?

I would recommend doing a megasquirt II efi conversion first.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

turbo 6

the compression ratio is around 8.75 or 9:1. the boost I plan to run is 8 to 9 psi. And the cam is a clifford 280 duration with .544 lift any advice will be appreciated I have also thought about spraying a 50 to 75 shot of nos through the turbo but I think I have to much compression. I have never ran nos so I know nothing about it any thoughts? What is a megasquirt?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Turbo + Nitrous + stock parts = BOOM!!!!

Seriously if your going to do this then you should use all forged parts and it's not going to be cheap on a straight 6. Your going to have to check compressor maps and do some calculations but the turbo off a 4 banger T-bird is probably to small.

Jordon
Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

turbo 6

yeah it was just a thought I know everything needs to be forged but it would be cool to see it work I think I will just stick with the turbo and some major porting to get some good flow. And your also right about the turbo being small it doesnt put out as much boost as I originally thought after some research. heck I may dithch the turbo idea. I was looking around and found a site for Sissel automotive and it looks like they are making some good power with the bore and stroke and a lot of head work but it expensive. yeah I know you have to pay to play. All I really want out of the engine is 200 to 250 hp and I think its possible with some good decisions and planning as of now I probably have about 175 with more of a head shave and more agressive porting and a intake and carb change(twin rochester b's) and some good headers it would put me in the middle of my goal numbers. thanks for all the help I guess I was just getting caried away with the turbo thing and not thinking about the affordability thanks for helping me realize I dont need all this stuff to make the power I want

chop
Old 07-25-2008, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71hondachopper
the compression ratio is around 8.75 or 9:1. the boost I plan to run is 8 to 9 psi. And the cam is a clifford 280 duration with .544 lift any advice will be appreciated I have also thought about spraying a 50 to 75 shot of nos through the turbo but I think I have to much compression. I have never ran nos so I know nothing about it any thoughts? What is a megasquirt?
You could run around 7 or 8 psi of boost with 9:1 cr and that 280 cam. However, you would need to use a very big exhaust turbine due to the large amount of valve overlap from that cam.

When there is lots of overlap, it is very important to keep the exhaust manifold pressure lower than the intake pressure. Reversion is really bad with a turbo engine. So, a free flow turbine need to be used, however this delays the boost until the upper rpms.

Turbo street cams tend to have very wide lobe centers and shorter duration to reduce overlap.

With a small restrictive turbo, a cam with no overlap should be used, along with low compression (7.5:1). A setup like this makes instant boost response and makes huge low rpm torque. Great for a stock converter and a 3.08 gear.

Megasquirt is a DIY efi system that also have ignition timing control, which is the best way for a turbo. However, 280 degree cam is getting kind of big for efi system that works from a manifold pressure signal.

If you want to make a 250cid street turbo engine then it should have around 8:1cr and use a cam with 114 lsa and 260 degrees on the intake and 250 on the exhaust. Use efi with six 450cc low impedance injectors and ignition timing control.

If your engine is making 150hp without boost then it should make 225hp at 7.5 psi, 252hp at 10 psi, 272hp at 12 psi,and 300hp at 15 psi. An ic should be used after 10 psi of boost.

The pressure ratio (boost + 14.7)/14.7 is the hp and torque multiplier that can be used to estimate power increase. So 7.5 psi is good for a 50% increase in torque and hp. 150hp goes to 225hp at 7.5 psi.

You should also do some research on turbo selection. The compressor and turbine selection is critical. You should talk with a turbo shop such as Majestic Turbo in Dallas texas.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

only if you want the N20 will you need forged pistions.. otherwise cast/ hypers will be ok.. my 200 I6 runs cast with a turbo.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM

that same motor is in our family boat thats a 22' starcraft and it sat for 16 years outside..after new cap, rotor,points, coil, carb rebuild. the motor fired and ran like a charm...very tough motor

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.