Hot Rod Forum banner

Turbo 350 or 200R4?

23K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Robinson Robin 
#1 ·
I'm putting a 350 engine into a '84 Grand Prix which originally had a 305 with a lockup 200R4. The engine I'm putting in came out of a '76 GMC 3/4 tonne with a 350 4-bolt and a TH350.

So I was wondering, what transmission would be best for my application? The engine will be producing about 300 hp/350 ft/lb torque until next fall when I get a set of heads which will put it around 400 for both torque and hp.

So my question is what tranny should I go with? the TH350 or the 200R4? I want to use it as a daily driver and am on a tight budget. If I use the TH350 then I will have to cut my driveshaft, something that I would do my self, but would prefer not to do at all. But the 200R4's torque converter was locking up and not unlocking, so we just unplugged it so it disabled and never reconnected it. Could I switch the torque converter off the TH350 into the 200R4? Also, if I use the 200R4, I won't have to modify my crossmember, something I'll have to do with the TH350.

Any information is highly appericiated. Thanks for your help.

#4 ·
Transmission decisions

If budget is your main problem. then how about going this route. Leave the 2004R transmission in the vehicle .replac ethe engine with the 350Chev. At this point the vehicle will be driveable. Later remove the pan and the Lock up solenoid and have someone electricaly check it and check for restrictions , if OK then check the TCC control valve in the pump.Possibly get the guy to come over and check it in your garage. If everything is OK then you can install a shift Kit to firm up the shifts for the extra torque the 350 has.

#5 ·
well the 200r4 would be the best street tranny but the disadvange is they they cost more to build than the 350 however if you have a working one at the moment I"d just stick with it. Alot of people have switch from 350's to 200r4's and 700r4 for their streetablity so why take a step backwards.

#6 ·
bolt the 350 to the 200-4r......... drive it.

when it pukes make sure you use the transGo kit with the "guppy plate' in it. A top shelf quality kit.

If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend a differnet hobby.

:)

#8 ·
the 200 isn't in the car, there isn't a transmission in the vechile (took it out with engne). I made a discovery last night tho, it appears the tranny that came in the car IS NOT a 4-speed (which apparently, the 200r4 was). Anyone have any idea what tranny it is?

#14 ·
If in fact you do have a TH200 don't even bother having it rebuilt. They were one of the worst transmissions GM ever made, and are not meant to be put behind a V8. You might be better off buying a new TH-350 or 2004R check out the Summit or Jegs catalog I know that Summit carries a new TCI TH350 that is supposed to be good for 450 horsepower and only cost $729.95. Summit offers their own new TH350 good for 400hp for $649.95. A new 2004R will cost you a couple hundred more so you just have to ask your self how important is overdrive to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.