Turbo 350 to a '94 700R4 or 4L60 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2004, 12:26 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last journal entry: My 81 Silverado(SourApple)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Turbo 350 to a '94 700R4 or 4L60

Alright I've got a 81 Silverado 350 shortbed that originally came with a turbo 350 (9" of course) that just recently went out. One of my friends' friend had ( i think ) a 700R4 laying around so he gave it to me. Im sending it to be cleaned up and whatever else needs to be done, done. I measured and the trans is the right length and should bolt up fine, i havent moved the trans crossmember yet because when i was checking the trans i saw this electronic connector on the passenger side. I dont know a whole bunch about transmissions, but would anybody know what thats for, i think its for the lock-up but im not sure cause im really not too sure about what kind of trans it is??? The trans pan is rectangular and has 15 or 16 bolts, ill have to check, i know its not much to go on but im not at my house right now and wont be until wednesday, so if anyone could help me with what kind of trans it is and what all else i might have to do to make it work, id appreciate it.

thanks,
classic

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2004, 12:47 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If it's a '93 or newer trans you'll need a computer to run it... It's not going to shift on it's own and you will spend about 1200 bucks for a stand alone computer. '92 and earlier can be made to work with a vacuum type lock up conversion. I would try trading it for an earlier year trans if it's a newer one.
look here... http://www.highperformancecars.com/crosley/4l80e.htm
and here... http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

You need to do some research because this swap, although not difficult, is not a plug and play swap. The trans needs to be set up and adjusted correctly and you will need to change over the trans bracket on the intake. There is a lot of data out there though so just do some digging.

Mark
Old 01-26-2004, 01:07 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last photo:

i know this might seem like a dumb question, but couldnt i just get the computer and all the other stuff i need off of a truck in the junkyard??? a guy i know could probably get me a good deal on the stuff, or do you think i should just trade it for one thats not going to be such a hassle???

classic
Old 01-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

For the late model trans to work on your truck, you'd have to completely install the entire computer system into your vehicle, and I mean everything, from the engine back!
The computer is going to need accurate info from every sensor on the engine and speedo for the trans to shift properly, and if you miss one little thing, it won't work.

My suggestion is call whoever is going through your trans and tell them to stop! or if its too late, try to work a swap for the earlier 700 that can be made to work. Rebuilding a 700 if you carry it in, can go as high as a grand easy, so having to do 2 of them won't be fun.

Mark
Old 01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last photo:

alright, nothings been started yet, so i guess i lucked out on that one. would yall know what year model i should trade it for??? or do yall think i should just get another 9" turbo 350???

classic

and would yall know of a manual 5spd that i could swap out??? if im going to be doing a lot of work then i guess i could just go ahead and switch it to a manual, would know if i could get one from a camaro or firebird???
Old 01-26-2004, 06:28 PM

Is there any particular reason you dont want to go back with the TH350. They are cheap, plentiful, and strong. Or do you want overdrive?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I came close to changing to the 700 instead of my 350 recently. The 700R4 has a lower first gear than the 350, better off the line, plus the over drive and lockup are great if you want lower gears for occasional strip racing. One shop that I cked at wanted $1100 for the complete job, without a core! Drive shaft fits the 700 without any changes too.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:03 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last photo:

well i dont like the fact that its not strong enough for my truck, i saw what it did to the one it had in it and i want one that can take a little bit more power, and yes i want overdrive, and something that can go through the gears a little better. i could get a 350 with a shift kit, but i just wanna go ahead and get a trans that'll do me good after i give it some more power. i really want a manual, but i have yet to find one that'll fit my truck, and wont go out like the manual 5spd truck transmissions. all in all i think im gonna go with an older 700, would anybody know of a good year range to shoot for???

classic
Old 01-27-2004, 05:04 PM

Well, if you want stronger than a TH350 then you don't want to go with a 700r4. They are much weaker, unless you have them built. If you are going with a 700r4, then you want the later one. They changed around 88 or so. They have a bell shaped line on the passenger side. You cant miss it. The internals on these later ones are supposedly better.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:32 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last photo:

well i was looking for a 700 around that year because they dont have to have a computer to shift, if i can find one that will work in my truck and take what it can dish out then ill get one, but if i cant then ill just go with a turbo 350. either way, what do yall think i could do to improve them(for cheap of course)???

classic

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.