Hot Rod Forum banner

turbo 350 diagnosis help

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
Transmission rebuilt about 10 yrs ago never needed it until this week. Added a Hurst Stage2 Shift Kit (Street Strip) and installed in 75 Nova.
Here's the problem:
From a stop
Reverse engages fine
Drive doesn't engage
Second doesn't engage
First engages fine

After starting from 1st -
Shifts into second, pretty hard but since shift kit is installed I guess ok
Shifts into Drive ok
While in Drive it will shift up and down automatically fine while moving until stopped then doesn't want to go forward until you drop it back down to First

Also manual shifts from Drive to Second and drive to first work correctly
(no hesitation and engine decelerates as it should)

Does this seem like a Valve Body issue? Or is something else going on?

See less See more
#2 ·
The low roller clutch is broken or the rear planetary flange is broken where is splines into the low roller clutch inner race. Manual 1st works because the low/reverse clutch holds in manual low (and reverse) only. Shift to 2 and it releases (part of why 2nd is so hard)
Sorry, pull it out. Can't fix it in the car......

#4 ·
Chazmac said:
The low roller clutch is broken or the rear planetary flange is broken where is splines into the low roller clutch inner race. Manual 1st works because the low/reverse clutch holds in manual low (and reverse) only. Shift to 2 and it releases (part of why 2nd is so hard)
Sorry, pull it out. Can't fix it in the car......
Will the transmission explode if my son drives it like it is for a while....funds are low right now and he really needs his car to get back and forth to work. We have 2 cores that I can rebuild later (summer) but we need to get all the parts to do it.

the transmission was never useed by us before the shiftkit install.

#5 ·
Take it to a transmission shop, get a diagnosis for free from them. They'll tell you what's going on. One thing I've learned about Trannies, if it's got something wrong, do NOT drive it anymore. You might be able to save it for a couple hundred bucks at a Transmission shop, whereas it will be 1,500 or 2,000 dollars once the tranny dies full blown. You might have to order a whole new rebuild, although you do have those cores. It's up to you really, but your son is going to be stuck on the way to work one day, and he's going to lose money to that tow-truck man. :drunk:

#6 ·
Chazmac answered the question and he is a top tranny guy, very respected in the field. We are lucky to have him here on the board.

65Stanger said:
Take it to a transmission shop, get a diagnosis for free from them. They'll tell you what's going on. One thing I've learned about Trannies, if it's got something wrong, do NOT drive it anymore. You might be able to save it for a couple hundred bucks at a Transmission shop, whereas it will be 1,500 or 2,000 dollars once the tranny dies full blown. You might have to order a whole new rebuild, although you do have those cores. It's up to you really, but your son is going to be stuck on the way to work one day, and he's going to lose money to that tow-truck man. :drunk:

#8 ·
Crosley said:
Chazmac answered the question and he is a top tranny guy, very respected in the field. We are lucky to have him here on the board.
Thanks Crosley I saw in his profile that Chazmac has a lot of experience, was just hoping that he would be able to tell me if he thought the tranny will blow up if he drives it or if he can drive it by manually shifting as it seems to be working ok this way...thanks to all responders

#9 ·
Chazmac AND Crosley together in a thread to answer this, I am thinking from what Chazmac didn't cover in his detailed enough answer basically says between the lines that it needs removed and you are chugging along with a countdown timer that will either stick or run fast, basically saying it's only a metter of time before the transmission "tells" you that it quit.

#10 ·
drchevy4x4 said:
Thanks Crosley I saw in his profile that Chazmac has a lot of experience, was just hoping that he would be able to tell me if he thought the tranny will blow up if he drives it or if he can drive it by manually shifting as it seems to be working ok this way...thanks to all responders
Would you drive a car when the engine is on it's last leg? Or mayb real low oil pressure?

There is a problem with the trans and it will not get better or go away. It will chew it's self up slowly as you drive it.

On the flip side , you may be a lucky person and the trans could drive for another year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.