Hot Rod Forum banner

Turbo 350 Driveline Question

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  karfever 
#1 ·
I am still chasing a drive line vibration in my 32 Coupe. I have replaced, checked all the obvious causes, but have two specific questions;
1. Should there be a SLIGHT wiggle at the trans tailshaft, IE bushing?
2. I am running -3 degrees at the trans, + 3 degrees at the rear end and +4 degrees on the driveshaft. Do theses sound right/good? They should work out to zero.
Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Should be very little wiggle if any at all.
Is the Trans Yoke engaging enough of the Tran's Output Shaft splines?
With the Rear Pinion Yoke disconnected you should be able to slide the Driveshaft into the Trans about 3/4". This is measured at ride height, suspensioned loaded.

#3 ·
SSedan64 said:
Should be very little wiggle if any at all.
Is the Trans Yoke engaging enough of the Tran's Output Shaft splines?
With the Rear Pinion Yoke disconnected you should be able to slide the Driveshaft into the Trans about 3/4". This is measured at ride height, suspensioned loaded.
More information. The trans is a TCI unit with 2800 miles on it. The yoke goes into the tailhousing about 3 1/2 inches, about 1 1/4 remaining at ride hieght, suspension loaded. The yoke only slides about 1/4 inch while driving, throught the suspension travel.
Yes I have some wiggle at the yoke with the suspension loaded and drive shaft installed. BTW, the drive shaft is a new custom PST aluminum

#4 ·
The Angle is Ok, Min. is 1*, Max. is about 5*.
I would think TCI would use a new Output Shaft bushing and your new Driveshaft should be balanced correctly.
This is from Denny's>> http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/frequently_asked_questions.html#faq_id10 according to them 3/4" is Min. & more than 1" isn't needed. I wouldn't think the extra 1/4" would be causing the wiggle/play but I could be wrong. You could slide it in more & see if it tightens up the play, if not the Bushing may be worn. If it's easily moved & the wiggle/play easily felt somethings worn.
I'm not sure what the clearance/tolerance is for the Yoke to Bushing.

I have one of these>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item1e61d70446 it removes & installs the Bushing without removing the Tailhousing. Real handy for 2004R Trans, as it doesn't have a removable Tailhousing.

#6 ·
NvrGrwUp said:
The trans and the rear end should be at the same angle. Not + and - of each other, they should be in the same plane. If one is at +3 and the other at -3 that is off by 6, hope that it is just the way you read your angle finder.
You are correct, so let me say this a different way. The engine/trans is 'down 3 degrees, the rear 'up' 3 degrees, on the same plane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.