Hot Rod Forum banner

turbo 350 trans not shifting out of 1st

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rhansen 
#1 ·
i have a turbo 350 trans in my 82 s-10 pickup and am having trouble with it shifting. i first noticed it while going down the road and it slipped out of 3rd. i put a new modulator on it and it worked fine. i went to get in it oneday and its not shifting out of first anymore. first gear and reverse works fine with not slippage. i took the pan off to make sure my floor shifter was actually working when i put it into gear myself and thats fine. i didn't see any metal in the pan but noticed a few plastic pieces that ihave not clue where they came from. i took the valve body off to see if that was the problem. i'm not sure how far the springs are suppose to be able to move, but they aren't moving very much. could this be the problem, or something else? thanks for your help.
phillip

#3 ·
phillip24,
You could have a problem with the governor. This is located on the output shaft and regulates "up" shifts. Pull it out and clean it with some carb cleaner and move the swing weights to be sure the plunger inside is moving. Then reinstall and put the cover back on with a new "O" ring. Also replace the screen and add new fluid and try it again.
Good Luck
Scholman

#4 ·
scholman said:
phillip24,
You could have a problem with the governor. This is located on the output shaft and regulates "up" shifts. Pull it out and clean it with some carb cleaner and move the swing weights to be sure the plunger inside is moving. Then reinstall and put the cover back on with a new "O" ring. Also replace the screen and add new fluid and try it again.
Good Luck
Scholman
Yeah, sounds to me like the plastic gear on the end of the gov. assy. is sheared off. Prolly just need a new gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.