turbo 350 trans not shifting out of 1st - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

turbo 350 trans not shifting out of 1st

i have a turbo 350 trans in my 82 s-10 pickup and am having trouble with it shifting. i first noticed it while going down the road and it slipped out of 3rd. i put a new modulator on it and it worked fine. i went to get in it oneday and its not shifting out of first anymore. first gear and reverse works fine with not slippage. i took the pan off to make sure my floor shifter was actually working when i put it into gear myself and thats fine. i didn't see any metal in the pan but noticed a few plastic pieces that ihave not clue where they came from. i took the valve body off to see if that was the problem. i'm not sure how far the springs are suppose to be able to move, but they aren't moving very much. could this be the problem, or something else? thanks for your help.
phillip

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 08:33 PM

Did you check to make sure the vaccuum line going to the mod. to make sure it had vacumm? Beacuse it has to have vacumm to shift right.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:58 PM

phillip24,
You could have a problem with the governor. This is located on the output shaft and regulates "up" shifts. Pull it out and clean it with some carb cleaner and move the swing weights to be sure the plunger inside is moving. Then reinstall and put the cover back on with a new "O" ring. Also replace the screen and add new fluid and try it again.
Good Luck
Scholman
Old 02-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Footbraker

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by scholman
phillip24,
You could have a problem with the governor. This is located on the output shaft and regulates "up" shifts. Pull it out and clean it with some carb cleaner and move the swing weights to be sure the plunger inside is moving. Then reinstall and put the cover back on with a new "O" ring. Also replace the screen and add new fluid and try it again.
Good Luck
Scholman
Yeah, sounds to me like the plastic gear on the end of the gov. assy. is sheared off. Prolly just need a new gear.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.