Turbo 400 pan will not stop leaking! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM

Last journal entry: Time to drive..
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Turbo 400 pan will not stop leaking!

Hey Guys,
I am a pretty experienced mechanic, but gasket after gasket, fluid change after fluid change, the god for saking pan will not stop leaking. I originally thought it was the pan at first, after a thourogh inspection, I noticed the previous owner dag used some sort of grinder to get the remaining gasket off of the pan. So, I bought a new one, new gasket, and replaced. Still......leaks in three spots. Am I torquing it too much? too little? whats the torque rating on the pan?
Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Vent on top of tranny plugged up! Excess pressure!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Last journal entry: Time to drive..
Last photo:

How do I clear it?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Are you sure it's the pan gasket leaking and not from somewhere else and running down? Maybe the shifter seal or dip stick tube seal is leaking. Are you using a cork gasket or rubber? Make sure both surfaces are completely clean and dry. Install the gasket dry and torque the bolts to 12 ft.lbs. If you feel you need to use a sealer, use something like 3M Weather Strip Adhesive, not silicone.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM

Had an issue with one of these same as yours. Like you, after a couple pan & gasket changes with the same leak coming right back pulled the unit and found a small crack in the front of the housing. This particular unit was a replacement and my core was gone. Luckily the seller made good on swapping it for a good unit, sometimes you get an anchor and get blamed for messing it up somehow when you installed it.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 AM

I had a trans pan that would not stop leaking once. I contact cemented the gasket on the pan, then layed a bead of the right stuff on the gasket, never leaked after that.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Last photo:

S10Racer hit the nail on the head, use a cork gasket not the composite gaskets that come with the trans service kits at Auto Zombie. Use the 3M yellow snot adhesive and use only enough to hold the gasket in place. I typically use only dabs of the yellow snot about six small dabs around the perimeter of the pan to hold the gasket for placement.

Vince
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

The only gaskets I ever had constant success was the ones from ACDelco that come in a flat skin pack. They are some sort of black material that swells when exposed to ATF.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport View Post
The only gaskets I ever had constant success was the ones from ACDelco that come in a flat skin pack. They are some sort of black material that swells when exposed to ATF.
IMHO those are the ones to AVOID

Vince
Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

EVENTUALLY; it will stop leaking, but you won't be happy when it does.

Does it have an aftermarket pan?
My guess is its a bad o-ring or a plugged vent.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM

I've used cork gaskets with no problem. There are a couple sealers that work good if you use them right. I have had exellent results with "indian head" gasket shellac as well as the form a gasket sealer. The only problem with these is they are harder to clean up if you have to disassemble the cover you sealed with it. I clean both surfaces spotless and coat one side of the gasket, place it on the cover aligned with the bolt holes and let it sit till it holds the gasket in place, 20 mins to an hour. Then, coat the gasket side that is sitting up facing you, again let it just start to cure and then assemble all bolts hand tight. Torque to spec about 20-30 mins later. As long as there are no other issues with what you are sealing, it always works for me. Water pumps with paper gaskets, thermostat paper gaskets, valve cover, oil pan, trans pan etc. A couple other things I've had that works is the copper spray sealer and the 'spray-tac' don't remember who makes it. I never would use an rtv on a cork gasket, it seems to cause the gasket to squeeze out of the surface you're trying to seal and if it don't leak right away, give it a week or so - it will.

MM
Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM

I must be odd because i do not use anything on my trans pan gaskets, Havent for years and no leaks. I have seen some pans that over the years of being over tighten they wouldnt seal correctly,
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM

True, if all is well it should seal. I like the gasket tack or shellac since it keeps the gasket in place when installing. When I first started doing this I had older cars and limited funds and leaky covers. A bottle of gasket sealer was always cheaper than a replacement cover. I guess it became a habit. Keep in mind, gas was around $.55 and I still had a hard time keeping gas in the thing.

MM
Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Check:
Dip stick
Manual Lever seal
Gov cover
Kick down switch

You might even pull the flywheel cover off and look for signs of the pump leaking.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Take your pan and lay each edge on a hard surface with a ball peen hammer smack the bottom of each bolt hole back into a flat and straight position. You can actually dimple the holes a little. Use what ever adhesive you like just to hold the gasket to the pan. I like black RTV. It cleans up better the next time you service your trans. Invert the pan with the gasket in place on a flat surface and let the adhesive set up a little. When installing the pan on the trans tighten in a cross pattern 12-15 ft lb. You can do the same thing with valve covers. It always worked for me and I made my living doing it. Something to try.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.