Turbo 400 Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 06:41 PM

Last journal entry: At the track
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Turbo 400 Question

I have a reverse manual valve body turbo 400. Today for no aparent reason when you shift from first to second the trans does not shift, it stays in first then when you shift to 3rdthe trans goes to second.The shift cable is correct and everything else works fine. I have been told it could be the second gear sprag any help Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle 001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	8092  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD BOWTIE
I have a reverse manual valve body turbo 400. Today for no aparent reason when you shift from first to second the trans does not shift, it stays in first then when you shift to 3rdthe trans goes to second.The shift cable is correct and everything else works fine. I have been told it could be the second gear sprag any help Thanks.
Does the trans go to 2nd or to 3rd gear when shifted to 3rd as you posted?

IF there is no 2nd gear, the sprag may have flipped or broken. The tranny case may have blown the case lugs out that the retaining snap ring for 2nd gear fits into.

Old 12-03-2005, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

There is no dead spot where second is suposed to be. It stays in first when you shift it into second and when you pull the shifter to the third gear postion it crisply shifts into second. I thought it was a shifter cable problem but I removed the cable from the transmision and manualy checked the detents and cable adjustment and it is perfect.The fluid is clean and not burned and the transmision operates flawesly with the exception of no high gear and it does not do anything in the second gear detent . Could it posibly be a valve body problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blower 029.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	8109  
Old 12-03-2005, 04:17 PM

You have driven the car before with no problem, it just suddenly began acting up?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

there is no 3rd gear?

Does reverse function correctly?

could be a valve body problem , but I doubt it. Most reverse pattern full manual valve bodys have few if any moving shift valves
Old 12-04-2005, 06:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau454
You have driven the car before with no problem, it just suddenly began acting up?
Yes, it was not under any kind of heavy load just normal driveing. Reverse is fine the transmision does not seem to slip anywhere the shift from first to second is fine, you just have to move the shifter from first to third to make it shift from first to second. The first and second gear detent in the transmission both only engage first gear. You can manualy move the transmision lever to the second gear detent start the car ans it is in first gear. If you start out in second gear detent ,which is now operateing as first and shift into third gear detent, which is now operating as second, the transmision feels like it always has there just is no way to get to high gear. This is a wierd problem.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Broken sprag. You will have 1 gear and high gear but no second. The sprag is just not grabbing onto the drum. Change out the sprag to a 34 element style with a pre '74 drum and you will be set to jet.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@JWP
Broken sprag. You will have 1 gear and high gear but no second. The sprag is just not grabbing onto the drum. Change out the sprag to a 34 element style with a pre '74 drum and you will be set to jet.
But he is saying that he has first and second gear but no third. It shifts into second gear when commanded to shift into third but doesn't ever actually make it to third gear . . . correct?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:26 PM

I just looked this over and I want to make sure that we have a few things covered first. Is the car on the lift or on the ground when this is happening? If the car is in the air, it is very common that you will not see a second gear shift on a 400 or a 350. If the car is on the ground, I do not see any way that you could have 1st and 2nd but no third, with 2nd showing up where 3rd gear should be. I feel very confident in saying that the car has 1st and 3rd and no second gear.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

Yes , I think it may have just had 1st and 3rd. I took the trans apart and the sprag will turn freely both directions. and it has scuffed up the drum a little where it rides. If I replace the drum and sprag will it be allright, the other internal parts look like new.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 AM

Just as I suspected... the sprag is broken or "flipped". It should only turn in one direction. If you replace the sprag, everything will be just fine again. If the inner race that the sprag rides on is chattered up, you may need to replace the drum. You also need to inspect the outer race to make sure that there are no chatter marks on it. Both pieces should have perfectly smooth ground surfaces. Count how many little elements (the little grabbers) you have on the sprag. The good sprags have 34 elements, so if you need one, just let me know.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.