Turbo 400 yoke question...? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Turbo 400 yoke question...?

Did a swap from a turbo 350 to a turbo 400 along with yokes of course (was a bolt in turbo 400)... Went to 1350 yokes on both ends (12 bolt rear end also)... Had the drive shaft built after what I thought was good close measuring... This is a 69 C10 with the ladder type rear suspension and is lowered approx 2 1/2 inches from stock height so not alot of travel is left...

How much travel in the yoke do I need...? As of right now I have about 1/2" before it bottoms out... I do not carry anything but race the truck (has a BBC powering it approx 450hp)...

Recommendations...?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick
Did a swap from a turbo 350 to a turbo 400 along with yokes of course (was a bolt in turbo 400)... Went to 1350 yokes on both ends (12 bolt rear end also)... Had the drive shaft built after what I thought was good close measuring... This is a 69 C10 with the ladder type rear suspension and is lowered approx 2 1/2 inches from stock height so not alot of travel is left...

How much travel in the yoke do I need...? As of right now I have about 1/2" before it bottoms out... I do not carry anything but race the truck (has a BBC powering it approx 450hp)...

Recommendations...?
I would recommend at least 1/4 inch from bottomed out at its deepest point for engine mount flex.

Since you have that suspension lowered that much here's what I would do if it were mine...
I would unbolt the rear joint, push the yoke into the trans all the way and measure how far the yoke arm is from the tailshaft with the arm horizontal.
Rebolt the rear joint and then load the truck to full suspension travel.
Measure the points again and see how much is left..... I would like to see that 1/4 inch for rubber engine mount flex.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:37 AM

Put chassis (frame) on stands (4) places and let rear end drop to its lowest point and see if you still got clearance.
I have run some 4 link applictions with no more than 1/2 in.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Thanks on the replies... Will be checking several ways this afternoon after the dinner wears off... (if I can get under it again...?)
Old 12-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick

Recommendations...?
Here's a link to a driveline shop's recomendations:
http://www.iedls.com/measure.html

HTH,
Don
Old 12-25-2005, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcantrellsr
Put chassis (frame) on stands (4) places and let rear end drop to its lowest point and see if you still got clearance.
I have run some 4 link applictions with no more than 1/2 in.

He is worried about the yoke bottoming out in the transmission. Not falling out into the floor.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Here's a link to a driveline shop's recomendations:
http://www.iedls.com/measure.html

HTH,
Don
That only works IF they are supplying the entire shaft AND the front yoke... which they are....... yokes might vary as to depth on the trans shaft, that is, the distance from the tail shaft end to the u-joint centerline.

With an existing yoke, you push it in all the way and measure center of the front u-joint to the center of the rear U-joint, then subtract for the desired clearance.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

my driveshaft guy say's to bottom the yoke out then pull it out 1", measure center of yokes as a final measurment.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1
my driveshaft guy say's to bottom the yoke out then pull it out 1", measure center of yokes as a final measurment.
That is what I said in my last post, except I said ----- bottom it, measure, then subtract the desired clearance from your measurement.

1" clearance where/when ?? (it constantly changes during suspension travel).... at ride height or when the suspension is loaded for the driveshaft to be pushed into the transmission as far as it might??
The only reason the clearance is there is to prevent the yoke from bottoming out in the transmission, which is Bump's concern.

I have seen people measure at ride height and add that inch on a short yoke and when the suspension unloaded the yoke was so far out it twisted on the trans splines, cracked the yoke which angled off a few degrees and the front of the driveshaft flew out just like it had broken a front joint... Oh Oh..... some identical looking yokes have shorter splines inside. You want as much spline contact as possible for strength.

BUMPSTICK has a close clearance at ride height and needs to know if suspension travel will bottom it out into the transmission. Hence he has to load the truck down.

He might end up having to shorten the driveshaft 1/2 inch.....

FOOD>>> FOOD>>>

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.