turbo ideas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

turbo ideas

Hey guys, i building an engine and would like to know if you guys think it is gonna be a good build idea. The block is a 427 tall deck block .030 over, 4340 496 crank, h beam rods, and forged pistons, i have the 781 casting heads, I have the access to have them ported and flow tested (don't know if i should have that done or just by new heads??) I'm going to stick with a blow through carb 850 demon for a start, then possibly upgrade to the efi common rail injection later. I am going to have a custom ground Howards cam, hydralic roller, to match everything up. I was thinking twin 45mm turbos. This build is not for hp, its more for the driveabilty, and fuel economy. THe big block will have the power so i'm not worried about it. Its going into a 5k lb restored 4x4 pickup, so its no race rig, more if a show rig/ drive and do what i want with it rig..and take it to the drags once in awhile to blow some dough.. I fugured around 700hp isn't out of the question with around 15psi of boost, running on 91 octane fuel. My question is if the turbos will be to small and cause back pressure and hurt me in the long run. Also if the price of having the machine work done to the heads would be worth it vs buying new assembled heads... I have done a lot of reading on turbos, but haven't found a lot of forums on bbc with turbos.. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks Derek!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 AM

turbos should be fine and you will likely have 850 plus hp with less than 15 pounds boost
Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_blue_64 View Post
Hey guys, i building an engine and would like to know if you guys think it is gonna be a good build idea. The block is a 427 tall deck block .030 over, 4340 496 crank, h beam rods, and forged pistons, i have the 781 casting heads, I have the access to have them ported and flow tested (don't know if i should have that done or just by new heads??) I'm going to stick with a blow through carb 850 demon for a start, then possibly upgrade to the efi common rail injection later. I am going to have a custom ground Howards cam, hydralic roller, to match everything up. I was thinking twin 45mm turbos. This build is not for hp, its more for the driveabilty, and fuel economy. THe big block will have the power so i'm not worried about it. Its going into a 5k lb restored 4x4 pickup, so its no race rig, more if a show rig/ drive and do what i want with it rig..and take it to the drags once in awhile to blow some dough.. I fugured around 700hp isn't out of the question with around 15psi of boost, running on 91 octane fuel. My question is if the turbos will be to small and cause back pressure and hurt me in the long run. Also if the price of having the machine work done to the heads would be worth it vs buying new assembled heads... I have done a lot of reading on turbos, but haven't found a lot of forums on bbc with turbos.. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks Derek!

What part of this makes you think "mileage"? Unless you consider 6mpg mileage. If you wan't good mileage with a heavy rig and a plow buy a diesel. If you can't do that then at least buy a LQ9 or simmilar LS engine to start with. Using a turbo BBC for mileage is like going to Wrigley field when you're trying to play a hockey game.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Old & Furious

Turbos will be over kill a well built 400 sbc will have enough power to rip the suspensions and axels out of the truck. The 427 built properly will be plenty spend your turbo money or a good efi and street build up. That will give you the best mpg for your rig.

If ypu want to run a stock motor with a turbo for 400 hp range a single large turbo would be plenty most v8 will have crazy snap with the single turbo since it will spool so fast you get boost right out of the hole.

Escalde motor would be my first choice with the computer and the full efi system.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

You're building an 800hp twin turbo big block so you can get good gas mileage? You may want to rethink this.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 AM

Last photo:

That twin turbo bigblock would be about as practical as me building/installing one of my Kawasaki 1428 turbo/nitrous motors in a touring bike that somebody is taking on a cross country tour! It would look impressive and have a hell of a top end punch,but Id have a really unhappy customer about mid way through the trip
If youre really determined to put a turbo on something why not just build a sbc with a single turbo and stuff it in there?
Youll have more power than that truck will know what to do with when the boost is turned up with a single turbo sb,and youll have a lot better gas mileage and driveability when youre just putting around town with it turned down.
Save that bigblock for a really light car with some good gears and a 4 speed,or a really spunky ski boat!
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 AM

ZMAX
o p has made 8 posts in 5 years,lol
and it is a tall deck rat,turbo would be fine
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

The tall deck dump truck blocks were the hot ticket back before the days of bow tie and aftermarket blocks,as long as you use the 427 block and not the 366 version.
Theres still nothing wrong with it if you have one to use,as for a turbocharged small block it could make more power than most street driven vehicles could put to the ground and would take up less space with all the turbo plumbing.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the imput guys, i'm not asking to get 30mpg with this engine, just something i don't drop $100 every 10 miles in fuel... One of my friends bbf 460 in a super cab long box 79 sitting on 42" rubber, got in the range of 11mpg cruising down the highway... I had a built 400 in my pickup for a few years... was going to build it to a 406 after i blew it up the first time, but got to excited and ordered the rotating assembly before i had the block machine work done, found out it shoulda gone 40 over instead of the 30 over pistons that i had purchased... tired of having all these small blocks in my pickups, just wanting to do something out of the ordinary, and still be able to drive down the highway to a car show or drag race...
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM

you burn (X) amount of fuel per horse power produced.You can tune x to be as efficient as possible,then multiply that number by HP produced
so: a fuel efficient 800 hp engine will burn more fuel than a 350 hp pig
you have to combine both figures to match your application
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
you burn (X) amount of fuel per horse power produced.You can tune x to be as efficient as possible,then multiply that number by HP produced
you can get over 20mpg and 1000hp IF you are in a fairly aerodynamic car and have a very well sorted out fuel/spark system and forced induction on a well built engine. None of that comes cheap and I wouldn't even consider using a carb with that.

You'll also need a fuel that works fairly well as a commuter fuel and as a race fuel... I'd look at E85 if its available by you.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
peak power levels can have little to nothing to do with part throttle economy.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM

some what true

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
peak power levels can have little to nothing to do with part throttle economy.
twin turbo LS 427 can deliver 1000 hp and more than 20 mpg in a Corvette or other car like that

with 30k plus engine and fuel management system/proper o/drive transmission,reasonable weight and aerodynamics.
I dont think even the rich AP72 can afford that,but Ive been wrong before.
still at W.O.T. the LS engine will devour fuel
the extra weight of all that technology will cost a little in fuel
The 30k you spend to make that power will buy a lot of fuel
F.I. is the best way to go

so O.P. you can decide how much you are willing to spend to save money and go with that system
If I had the cubic $ I would do what AP72 says and build a 1,000 turbo monster and not care about fuel
My diesel truck is good on fuel
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
twin turbo LS 427 can deliver 1000 hp and more than 20 mpg in a Corvette or other car like that

with 30k plus engine and fuel management system/proper o/drive transmission,reasonable weight and aerodynamics.
I dont think even the rich AP72 can afford that,but Ive been wrong before.
still at W.O.T. the LS engine will devour fuel
the extra weight of all that technology will cost a little in fuel
The 30k you spend to make that power will buy a lot of fuel
F.I. is the best way to go

so O.P. you can decide how much you are willing to spend to save money and go with that system
If I had the cubic $ I would do what AP72 says and build a 1,000 turbo monster and not care about fuel
My diesel truck is good on fuel
you can turbo a ls powered anything and hit 700+ hp relatively cheaply, especially with the trucks.

Its not 1000hp but its more than most and surprisingly cheap, your fuel and spark upgrades consist of injectors and a pump, maybe a fresh set of plugs- that's it.

BTW I'm far more of a cheap *** than you assume.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

turbo charging is a good way to make power. It is gaining popularity in some circles.

As far as restriction, most turbo charged vehicles drive fine. You do not get the power much at part throttle.

A roots supercharged vehicle will have different road manners at part throttle. The engine feels infinitely bigger. Always and instantly .

At 9-10 psi either supercharged or turbocharged , peak numbers are pretty close.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.