Hot Rod Forum banner

Turbo ls1

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  techinspector1 
#1 ·
Hey have any heard of a turbo company called Miracle Power they selling a turbo kit on eBay for $1000 to fit my 99 camaro ls1, an I was wondering if any one can tell me anything about this turbo or its company. Any info would be highly appreciated thank you

#2 ·
Turbo

If it has ball bearings as assembly i do not see a reason it could not be tried good luck. But i would ask them, someone has to make this turbo and why would they not tell you who is the manufacturer is? If it is them, well someone has to be the first to try it as always in racing or rodding there always has to be a Ginny pig who knows maybe we all buy from them next month. But i have seen them on eBay a long time it is the only input i can share with you at this point. But if you do purchase one please inform us all as to your results installation difficulty performance before and after with dyno for some real data we all can share. Waiting to hear more from this application Thanks for sharing.

#3 ·
Do you mean Mirage Power? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
If so then sure it will work. Its in no way the best or most ideal kit and most likely wont be a "bolt on kit" and probably require a lot of fabricating to get it to fit right. Theres a reason why other name brand companies charge $3000 and this is only $1000. I have not used this kit so am not 100% sure but I am almost certain due to the low price that these are el cheapo chinese turbos. Probably just a sleeved bearing and i wouldn't expect them to last a long time. maybe a couple years depending on how hard you beat on it. I don't see bigger injectors or a different tune on the parts list so make sure they are done for sure.

#4 ·
What's with all the shots at sleeve bearings? you guys do realize that they do not actually touch the shaft, float on a cushion of oil and were designed as a longer lasting, more durable replacement for conventional bearings for the high speeds you see in a turbo.

Ball bearing turbos may spool easier, but will not last longer, there is a reason that they're used for the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of miles if not longer in OTR trucks and other diesel equipment.

#5 ·
Years ago, we used to buy our racing go-kart parts from a guy in Chandler who worked for either Honeywell or Airesearch or one of those aeronautical manufacturers. Anyway, he described to me an air bearing used on turbos, where the shaft didn't touch ANYTHING. Are those still being made? Just curious.

#8 ·
techinspector1 said:
Years ago, we used to buy our racing go-kart parts from a guy in Chandler who worked for either Honeywell or Airesearch or one of those aeronautical manufacturers. Anyway, he described to me an air bearing used on turbos, where the shaft didn't touch ANYTHING. Are those still being made? Just curious.
not air, oil. It's a sleeve with specially machined holes that are angled to pump oil into the space to support the shaft, there are fully floating and semi floating versions. For the most part, on a journal bearinged turbo none of the moving parts actually touch any of the stationary parts/housing. The exception is possibly during surge, when you might make contact with the thrust bearing surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.