turbo rat rod. need advice! carb 289 vs 5.0 efi - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

turbo rat rod. need advice! carb 289 vs 5.0 efi

as the title suggests, I am building a rat rod with twin t3/t4 turbos. I have the option of running either a carb 289 from a first gen mustang, or a 5.0 efi from a late 80's/ early 90's cougar with either form of fuel managmentfor both. the trans will either be the 4spd auto from the cougar with the efi, or a c4 for the carb. i was considering a draw through set up for the carb (limited budget for blow through). I like the idea of efi, but I'm biased and need a second opinion, or two.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Why EFI on a 5.0? They, IMHO, very aren't nice to look at!! You open yourself up for lots of extra work and "claptrap" from finding a place for a computer module, a high pressure electric fuel pump, a return fuel line, O2 sensors and much extra wiring to name a few odds and ends. The way I define a 'rat rod' is simplicity. If you have a 5.0 EFI it's very easy to convert to carb and C4 tho one from a 289 wont work unless you change the bell housing and use the correct 50 in oz flex plate for the balance. My AVATAR car has a crate 5.0 (manufactured in 1999) with a carb, mechanical fuel pump and a C4. The unused OEM EFI stuff was easily sold, with a Performer RPM intake and carb, an MSD ignition and a new front timing cover to handle the Carter race fuel pump as well as a Stewart NASCAR water pump.

A 289 - why? There are too many 302/5.0 engines and there are way more after market parts available (tho a 289 can be a screamer)

Dave W

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.