Turbo System - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 04:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Turbo System

If I can get the 305 up and running, I'm thinking of building a smaller turbo setup for the engine.
I have been looking at a kit manufactured by Martin Turbo Systems, which was a knockoff of a ACCEL kit.

Thats the intake design.
both kits had a sort of valve that would block off the turbo while it was spooling, to help reduce lag. If I do this kit myself, I dobut I will use this, to make it less complicated.

From what I can tell, the Martin kit has a single plane.

So heres what I'm thinking.
Take a mass produced intake manifold such as this Edelbrock Torker II

and put a port on one side, like the Martin setup, and have the turbo blow in under the turbocharger. I believe it is called a 'suck through' setup and the carburetor is not pressurized.

From what I can see on the Martin kit, the turbo sucks in mixed air from the intake, and compresses it, and puts it back into the manifold.
I may do this, as it seems it would help with the mixture.
I will be running a blow off valve and wastegate with any other turbocharged setup.

Do you guys think this would work? I'm not going for huge numbers, just trying to get a boost out of the 305.

I will be using the 305 as its what I have on hand.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

I think you're travelling uncharted waters, ones that may lead to some engine damage if you're not careful.

I'm not sure just exactly the Martin system works, fuel wise, but the way you're describing, you're going to be blowing in a tremendous amount more air with not a tremendous amount more fuel, proportionally. There's really no way to tell if just blowing in more air under the carb will create enough vacuum to also suck in more fuel.

This is where the trick comes in....how to deliver a measured amount more fuel in proportion to the amount of airflow. You're going to have to use a meter to measure your fuel mixture and adjust accordingly.

Your idea is very simple, and could have possibilities; but it's not something you just put together and fire it up. It's going to take research, calculations, and attention to detail to prevent hurting your engine.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

I'm going to see what I can come up with.
From what I can see,
The mixed fuel comes into the intake, it is drawn into the turbocharger, then compressed, and then put back into the intake. I think the engine wil draw it in....

The turbo's intake is coming out of the manifold, not out of the aircleaner, so there will be a mixture of gas and air going into the turbo...

Not really sure, thats why I posted up here.
I don't really want to purchase a older Martin system because I don't think they were made for very long, not due to design flaw but a management flaw in the company...

I will be running a wideband O2 probably, to keep tabs on the fuel mixture.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

the draw through system has problems with fuel puddling in the lower rpms. You also would have to change the seals in the turbo to be used with gas. It would be a lot easier to do a blow through system and use a rising rate pressure regulator.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

Is that the setup where you have to have a sealed box atop the carburetor? How do those work?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Buick Hybrid Guy.

Last photo:

Quick Fuel... among others have "blow through" carbs. They will work with boost.
You purchase the carb and a "Hat" to go on top of it. The entire carb is exposed except for the top.

You can purchase a entire box to put the carb into and use a regular carb but it'd be a real pain to work on and it takes up alot more room.

Drawing fuel and air through the turbo has been proven to be a problem for both fueling and the turbo it's self. Don't bother.

IF you have to use a carb due to budjet... do the blow through style it'll be the least expensive and most power.
EFI is the best way by a LONG shot.
~Scott
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

In general, suck-through systems do just that... they suck. Its the least desirable of all the turbo setups for its drawbacks, not the least of which is blower reliability.

Do you have Corky Bell's book, "Maximum Boost"? If not, get it. He explains why.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
the draw through system has problems with fuel puddling in the lower rpms. You also would have to change the seals in the turbo to be used with gas. It would be a lot easier to do a blow through system and use a rising rate pressure regulator.
What seals would have to be changed? What are the seals now and what would we be changing them too?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
What seals would have to be changed? What are the seals now and what would we be changing them too?
Sorry about that I will clarify it. I meant to say you have to change the oil seals to be use in a draw through set up. There are two types of oil seals in a turbo: dynamic and carbon. Dynamic seals look like a piston rings and when the turbo is under vacuum it will suck oil through the ring gaps. Carbon seals have a spring loaded ring that is sealed against a thrust collar all the way around.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.