Turbocharging a small block. How to use a holley carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2003, 01:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Turbocharging a small block. How to use a holley carb

Trying to find a low bucks fun way to play with twin turbo charging a small block. I know about the engine but the fuel system and ignition is what I'm trying to find a diagram (pictures...Step by Step!!!!!!!) I'm going to use a holley type carb.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2003, 06:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

There are a few needed mods on the carb for blow through. As for the ingnition, you will need an MSD BTM to retard timing with boost. This site and This site have turbocharged carbed small blocks. If you need more info, I probably can dig up some other links.

Chris

Last edited by TurboS10; 07-24-2003 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:51 AM

Thanks Chris, that site answers alot of questions. I do have some questions on the fuel system. I can not tell by the pictures how the fuel pump is changed and a few other things. I'll explain both my understanding and questions. The main fuel line(from the tank) goes to the fuel pump, does it become two fuel lines now from the modification(and how)? One line to the carbs main fuel intake and the other to the pressure regulator which is controlled by the boost pressure in the carbs hood(parts needed) and where does it go. Or does the one fuel line just go to the regulator and again which is control by the boost, ending up at the carbs main fuel intake. Would these parts help: Electric fuel pumps.
Does anyone make a system that reads the boost pressure by a part that is hooked up to the hood and automatically retards the system rather than adjusting by hand?
Vortecsuperchargers.com has a housing that holds the whole carb in(?). They have a centrifugal supercharger hooked to it but if this helps I'll try it. I'm calling them to ask if it will help.

thanks Dan

Last edited by Z-man; 07-24-2003 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well I fixed the second link. It has some more info.

I think what the first is doing if I remember correctly is using a boost referenced stock pump. He installed a nipple in the fuel pump vent so that it will raise pressure as boost rises. The problem with this is fuel volume. I would suggest using high pressure electric pump such as a mallory EFI110 along with a boost reference regulator like the mallory 4309. You can just put the regulator in line between the pump and carb. You will also have to add a return line for the regulator.

As for timing, the MSD 6 BTM will retard timing as boost comes up. I would recommend one of these.

The vortec enclosure is nice, but I think they sell for around $600 by themselves.

Chris
Old 07-25-2003, 02:43 AM

The Mallory part with the High pressure fuel pump is what I will use most likely use. I'll go to there web site and get the info. I'm waiting on the information on those that vortex-system. The project I think is going to be putting a V-8 in a Nissan 300z (92-98 ) with a supercharger or twin turbo. The twin turbo would seem funner. Or I'm looking at maybe a corvette any year. I have been finding cars with engine problems pretty cheap! I'm have been trying to find the weight of a stock V-6 engine for the Z because with aluminum heads and manifold on the V-8 it would be close. WWW.TURBOGOD.COM has same great stuff and E-bay.
Many thanks dan

Last edited by Z-man; 07-25-2003 at 03:09 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.