Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Turbonique (Rocket Kart)
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When I was a little fart my next door neighbors raced karts. He had a son that was about 5 or 6 years older than me at the time. I think I was about 11 or 12. He had a kart with two MAC 91's w/expansion chambers and God knows what else on it. At the time Interstate 10 was under construction through Beaumont Texas and the completed but unopened sections were a haven for racers on the weekend. You could see anything from gassers, karts, and motorcycles. One Sunday afternoon I was over my neighbors house as they were tuning the kart and they asked me if I wanted to go with them to try it out. I quickly ran home to ask my dad who said yes and we were off. When we got there one of my other neighbors had his gold 55 Chevy gasser and was making loud passes down the concrete. Buddy who was my neighbors son made a few passes with his kart, and a few adjustments returned and asked me to sit on his lap. I did and he scared the holy cra* out of me. I have no idea how fast he went, but it was fast.

The very next weekend I was over Randy Blackwell's house as he was working on his 55 Chevy gasser....and yes he asked me to go with him and his brother out to the unfinished interstate. Randy went on to have several cars he raced. I think that and the weekend before sealed my interest in cars.

VInce