Hot Rod Forum banner

The TurboS10 gets a Heart Transplant: Operating Pictures

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  dk01_99 
#1 ·
Its getting closer. I got the engine stabbed today on the S-10. Looks like the turbo and piping are going to clear everything. Considering I built it on the stand with a tape measure that is pretty surprising.

Well, just thought I would post a couple of pics. I am pretty damned giddy this evening so I thought I would share.

Me running the hoist while my little bro guides her in place.

It fits!!!

Okay....Why did the pics not show up? I linked it to my album....

See less See more
#5 ·
I talked to one of the techs at Edelbrock who had set up several supercharged Pro Flo systems. What he said they did was just add larger injectors and pull fuel out of the curves at low RPM to keep the mixture livable. I am going to try to run a 2 BAR MAP sensor along with the large injectors to avoid having to change the fuel tables as much. I also have a contact who has reverse engineered the Edelbrock code and has the ability to burn custom chips. This would really be ideal from a tuning perspective if he can set up tables for 2 BAR. Of course this will cerainly be a challenge. I am not overly concerned about the drivablility since this primarily is a race setup. I would like to be able to limp it along around the streets a bit, but fueling under boost at high RPM will be the main focus. Hopfully I will eventually learn enough about the system to get the drivability nice also.

From what I have been able to find, I am kindof pioneering here. If the Edelbrock ECU is not up to the task, I will probably toss it for a more capable unit down the road. There are several controllers out there that work well with boost.

Chris

#8 ·
2 questions TurboS10....Where is the distributor at? How well does it fit with the motor in? Looks like it'll be veeery tight.
Also did you scap the twin turbo idea? The setup in the pic looks like a single turbo setup.

Looks good though...You are braver than I am, I would've pulled the front clip to set the motor in. Knowing my luck the hoist woulda took a dive and the motor would've crushed everything from the firewall forward...

Later,
WEIMER

#11 ·
Rubberman, it is a semi turbo. I hope to have it fully spooled by 4000RPM. It will support around 1000HP, but I am going to limit boost to keep it around 700 untill I can get an aftermarket block and a better fuel managment system....which could be never.

Weimer, There is actually alot of room. I was surprised t how easy it all fits. I did scrap the twins for ease of installation, and the fact that many classes only allow one power adder and twin turbos is considered as two. As for the hoist, I did manage to keep all the paint in tack untill putting the hood back on. I got the first good chip, but repaired it quickly before I started crying.

Thanks for the kudos everyone, and Monte LMAO.

Later,

Chris

#15 ·
Damn CHris...looks good bud...but I do have a question....

With that much HP (1000 as you stated - I think), how will you be able to put all that to the ground? I mean, we are talking a light bodied vehicle with a very light rear end (not the actual rear end, but the whole rear portion of the truck). It just seems to me like you may be over-powering the abilities and traction factor.

I am by no means bashing you, I think you did a great job!!

A buddy of mine has a early/mid 80's s-10 with a 283 destroked and a corvette 6-speed tranny...he runs in the high 11's with it and it is a true screamer. Saw him break it sideways at 60 mph!!!! Scared the hell out of the junker Impala that was trying to get him to run it on the interstate...LOL

#16 ·
1000 HP is in the very distant future. I plan on starting around 700 or so. I will have to see how the chassis handles the power and see if I think it will handle any more. I also have to get used to driving it.

As for getting it to the ground, check out my photo album. The truck has a Competition Engineering 4 Link and rear frame, spooled Ford 9 inch rearend, and 18.5x33x15 ET Streets. I am also running a 10 point cage to keep things nice and rigid. I have seen similiarly built S-10s run in the 8 second range, which is about where 900-1000 HP would put me.

Chris

#17 ·
First off, thanks for reading my post as it was meant and not as an insult or a bash...

When I asked about putting the power to the ground, I was actually referring to the weight of the back end of your truck. The 4-link suspension will assist some in the effort for a quick launch, but do you have enough weight back there to eliminate tire spin?
I guess what I am saying is, that at 1000hp, or even at 700 hp, it seems that the power to weight ratio is over bearing, So I am asking how you plan on keeping the tires from spinning under heavy acceleration and applying all that power to forward momentum...I hope that makes sense?!?!?!

Again, I am asking for info and not criticizing, as I am contemplating a similar project myself.....

#18 ·
Criticizm does not bother me....I am pretty confident. No insult at all. These type of questions are what the board is for.

It is all about weight distribution. As we all know as close to 50/50(front/rear tires) is optimal. The battery and 12 gallon fuel cell set behind the rearend in the bed will help this ratio. If that ends up being too little, I will have to add a ballast at the rear of the frame to get the ratio closer. I also plan on adding a water tank for chilled water intercooling in the bed.

Weight ratio is an obvious battle with a pickup, but with the short chassis, it is somewhat better. That and the 18 inch slicks I think will make her stick. If your buddy is running any type of street tire, and using any type of factory suspension there is just no comparison. Factory suspension and uncaged frames have tons of spring and slop in them which makes for a traction nightmare due to wheel hop, chassis flex, and tire unloading. For the most part, if a vehicle can be made to launch with the proper converter setup(ie high rpm launches), top end traction should also be fine. I hear what you are saying, but I think if I can get it to hook on the line, topend will be okay.

If you are planning a similiar buildup, brace yourself for a ton of work and about as much money. It is sometimes overwelming. You also should do some research on chassis design. It will help all this stuff make sense.

Chris

#20 ·
nice! fuel injection and turbo too. what did that snail come out of? and keep photos of what your exhaust finally ends up looking like. sorry about the twin thing, but if you gotta race you gotta follow rules, at least on the strip.

#21 ·
HemmiGremmie said:
Lookin good Turbo. I wish I had yer money. lol:D :D Cant wait to figure out what Im doing with the Gremlin. HG

I dont have money, I have good credit.....:pain: ...and lots of credit card debt thanks to this little jewel. The American way right...

I am not sure specifically what it came out of, but I believe it may have been a V6 Detroit. I got it off of ebay. You know I was just looking at the exhaust. I can run 5 into 4 into 3.5 inch into a muffler, or just run a 5 inch right out from under the front fender. I am thinking both, one for race, one for the street. That is one place i am paying for the room. There is absolutely no place to run 5 inch all the way out like I would like to do.

Chris

bullheimer said:
nice! fuel injection and turbo too. what did that snail come out of? and keep photos of what your exhaust finally ends up looking like. sorry about the twin thing, but if you gotta race you gotta follow rules, at least on the strip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.