Turbosupercharging - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Wildcard Customs

Wiki Edits: 0

Turbosupercharging

Got an interesting question. Like the Air Scout (i'm army) that is on here, I have aviation maintenance training, so I know turbo compounding - a.k.a. Turbosupercharging - is possible. The question is thus... If I were to turbocompound a 3.1l after upgrades, what amount of boost can I get away with? Second question. If I hang a quad turbo dual centrifugal supercharger set-up on a 350 or a 454, will I blow the block sky high or just make an insane amount of power with everything upgraded? I do a lot of custom work but the question of quad turbos with dual supers is not something I feel comfortable "winging it". The 3.1 is in a gm w body and the V8 is going in a 98 camaro

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

compound supercharging or turbocharging is good for making insanely high boost levels- much higher than your production blocks will ever handle. A single turbo can make much more boost than your stock block can handle- that's the reason for wastegates and blow off valves.

You're WAY overshooting the runway on that one ace.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM

if you understand the aviation compound boost you know why ts done.Here at sea level or close to it the boost from twin turbos will exceed what most builds can use. If you boost beyond 2 atmospheres what are you going to use for fuel? How are you sealing your engine?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Wildcard Customs

Well, that confirms my suspicions. I wondered but wanted to make sure. Turbocompounding in planes makes up lack of atmospheric pressure. It looks like the centrifugal superchargers only build about 7 psi and turbos are tunable according to what i've read. The automotive applications toss me a bit sometimes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard0717 View Post
Well, that confirms my suspicions. I wondered but wanted to make sure. Turbocompounding in planes makes up lack of atmospheric pressure. It looks like the centrifugal superchargers only build about 7 psi and turbos are tunable according to what i've read. The automotive applications toss me a bit sometimes
No, centrifugal superchargers can go just as high as turbos, for short drag racing they can get up to mid 40's psi, or 3 bar~ish.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM

wildcard0717 some airplanes have what is called turbo normalising. A turbo normalised a/c engine is set up to maintain a rated HP to a certain altitude density.The a/c will be certified to that altitude or w/e the aircraft designer has the plane certified to operate at .The cargo/vne/cabin pressurisation etc will all be linked,,, some military aircraft are totally different and fall under different rules.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Wildcard Customs

So what would you recommend? This is why I usually only mess with traditional roots-style and natural aspiration. I'm trying for around three hundred with the six. It's my personal vehicle and underpowered. As for the camaro...well, all my custom stuff is all streetable pro-tour, trucks, and kidz with no idea what they want except for a body kit and more power
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
So what would you recommend? This is why I usually only mess with traditional roots-style and natural aspiration. I'm trying for around three hundred with the six. It's my personal vehicle and underpowered. As for the camaro...well, all my custom stuff is all streetable pro-tour, trucks, and kidz with no idea what they want except for a body kit and more power
presuming you're talking about the 60 V6 3100 engine you'll need some head work, a mild cam, and a single turbo sized for about 15psi max, intercooling will also help.

300hp is a pretty small and manageable goal. you can get there with a junkyard turbo.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Wildcard Customs

I'm familiar with turbo-normalizing in theory. Never worked with it though. I'm looking at it but not finding it an option that'll adapt well. I got my aviation stuff as a civilian btw
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Wildcard Customs

Already have some A.R.I. heads on order as well as a Lunati 215/215 cam, comp cams high energy pushrods, 1.52 ratio rockers, domed pistons etc
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Wildcard Customs

An oversized throttle body 62mm, custom cold air, and throttle body spacer
Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Please forgive me for going a bit off topic, but The guy in the camaro video said it made around 14 PSI of boost? Why go to all that expense and work to make 14 PSI? A single turbo could make a lot more than that as well as just a supercharger, so why do all that for just 14 PSI? Is it just for bragging rights or is there another purpose behind it? Again I appologise for highjacking the thread.

Kelly
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Wildcard Customs

Is cool kelly. Most likely, he is bragging...and probably didn't do the work himself
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Is cool kelly. Most likely, he is bragging...and probably didn't do the work himself

Oh I agree it looks awesome, sounds good, and yeah he prob didn't do it himself. I was just wondering if there was any mechanical or technical reason for using all of that or if it was purely to get noticed.

Kelly
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Wildcard Customs

Is cool about jacking the thread. I think 14 psi may be what he can safely run. I can't remember where, but that same car is bragged up on one of the camaro forums. If half the equipment said to be in that car is there, it wouldn't surprise me. Personally, I think he ruined that car

Tags
forced induction, supercharger, turbo, v-6, v-8

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.