Hot Rod Forum banner

turn signal flasher/ LED

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bigdog7373 
#1 ·
Hello, If I am putting LED bulbs in place of my original bulbs for turn signals, what will my flasher do? My buddies tell me it will flash real fast, I feel that it will not flash at all. My reason for thinking this is because I remember years ago when I pulled a camper trailer I had to install a different flasher because the original flasher blinked real fast with the extra load on it. So my thought is that with LED bulbs I have LESS resistence therefore it would NOT let the original flasher work. Who will be right?
And if I am right, will my turn signal lights come on and stay on or will they not light at all? Thanks, Rick
Oh yeah, we all agree that I will need a different flasher, where is the best deal for a GM flasher for the LED application? Thanks again

#2 ·
Your logic sounds right - lower resistance may cause it to not flash at all, or extremely slowly.

If you have a fairly standard vehicle you should be able to buy an LED-compatible flasher at any of the parts stores (Autozone, etc.). If your vehicle uses a flasher that is hard to find (the case for some foreign vehicles) you can add a load equalizer to the circuit and the original flasher should work.

Bruce

#4 ·
I assume that your trailer flashers were wired in parallel, not in series. Series would increase resistance, parallel would reduce it. But yeah, a special flasher or an in line ballast is the solution.

BTW . . .I'm 99% certain they'll blink fast without the special flasher or the ballest.

PatM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.