Turn Signal Short - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Turn Signal Short

We have a Shay ( Fiberglass reproduction of 1929 Ford Roadster) and I am blowing fuses in the turn signal circuit? It has 1157 bulb in rear tail light, cowl lights with 1057 bulb that act as parking light and flash for front turn signal. I am not sure where to start looking for the short?? It seems to be intermittent, in that you can put in fuse and okay for a while? Any suggested technique that works?? THANKS... THERESA

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 07:59 PM

Theresa,

What size fuse are you blowing? If it is a 15 amp use a 20. If it is a 20 use a 25. How many bulbs do you have in the rear?

Scholman
Old 05-14-2005, 08:50 PM

I thought it was a short but fuse is good. Have power to flasher, both sides and from there to steering column. But I do not know which wire to chase down from there?? Lots of wires and not sure which is which. I guess I will have to start at light and work backwards to turn switch? THERESA
Old 05-14-2005, 10:09 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Power Probe

my wife buick had a complex short in the turn singles also no reverse lights

i went round n round with a test light for days and got no where i went and bought this wonderful tool called a power probe $120. with this i was able to isolate it within an hour
the great thing about it is its got "+" & "-" right there at your finger tips i started @ the tail and reverse lights and work my way to the column then to the fuse box and wound up finding a wire coming from the box going to nowhere w/ a resistor on the end i cut that wire out and now every thing works (this was a factory wire)
long story sorry but i would never have found it without this tool wish i had it 20 years ago
its a
continuity tester
circuit tester
you can power up or ground things like installing window motors and lamps
built in circut breaker
and 2 led mini spot lights
and about 40' of leads so u can do trailers too
alligators and cigarette power source
and more
definitely the cats meow of test lights
i hope this helps
a serious investment but mine paid 4 it self the 1st time i used it

sr66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 05-14-2005, 10:42 PM

I have good ground connections. I can jumper from flasher to individual wires in steering column and I can get that particular light to flash. I think I am not getting power from flasher to main input in steering column but I do not know which wire is which?? Make sense? Steering column is Ford but I do not know color coding. Doc where are you when I need you? Anyone know Ford color coding for turn signal input// THANKS... THERESA
Old 05-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Turn signal ring

Doc here,

Well, If I interpret you post correctly, ( and I have, on rare occasion been known to be correct.. ) you have signals with the column unplugged and jumped at the plug?

Sounds like you might have a broken or intermittent turn-signal ring inside the Column... (Sometimes the ring mount screws just fall out or back-off...)

Is it possible to pull the horn ring on the wheel and see down into the turn-signal well? If so try and activate it, and see if the whole plastic ring moves, or just part of it..If it's just part, the ring might be broken in half...contacting only half of the terminals...or shorting them out...A common problem as the plastic ages..

Is this an aftermarket Harness or a stock ford harness married into the repro body? If so, what year/model harness do you have there..Or if aftermarket, What make harness (painless, EZ, or Snap..)

I'd advise against raising the rating of the fuse, if it's the proper fuse for the system..If you DO have a short..your harness could vaporize on you..Don't need that happening!

Check that signal ring, AND let me know about the harness that you have (helps id the colors) And we'll see if we can get it nailed down for you!

Doc
Old 05-15-2005, 09:22 AM

Hey Doc.

I knew you would find me, THANKS. The car is a Shay, which is a fiberglass reproduction of a 1929 Ford Roadster, built on a 1979 Pinto chassis. Problem is I am not getting turn signal to operate. Had same problem last weekend, but mover wires around and it went away, so must be an intermittent connection in switch. I have voltage from fuse block to flasher and from flasher to steering column. If I jumper from flasher to turn signal bulb wire, it will flash the correct bulb, so I suspect problen is in switch itself. The column has a Bobcat label in center of wheel, so I will try to remove that and see what is there. The turn signal lever is pushed in to activate the ahooga horns and that works fine. I am not sure what to take apart or how to get to switch contacts. Connectors don't have much play and appear to be brittle. I will be working with problem today... Thanks for your support... THERESA
Old 05-15-2005, 10:49 AM

HEY DOC:

A little more progress. I did find that turn signal switch was attached to steering column below the tilt joint by two screws. I removed the assembly from column, looks like a horse shoe with a pot metal portion with a bakelite block with connectors mounted. The bakellite portion is held to pot metal section with two small allen screws. We backed them out but the bakelite block nor connectors seem to want to seperate, I don't want to force them and break something that we cannot replace. It looks like connections are made by sliding contact rings or flat plates. Nothing looks broken or ovious but still no turn signals. I don't know which wires are which contacts or color code so I am kind of at a stopping point. Maybe having some lunch might help.... THERESA
Old 05-15-2005, 12:14 PM

Doc:
Lunch wasn't much help. We did buy a SPDT switch at Autozone that we can wire in from flasher into actual turn signal wires and just wire around problem. The turn signal module has horn and dimmer switch in same unit and if we break the assembly we will have more problems. Don't like to do that but kind of up against brick wall ??? THANKS THERESA
Old 05-15-2005, 06:52 PM

HEY DOC.

Found problem to be loose connector on flasher after we rewired car, garage, dog and half of the house. Are you suppose to check simple things first or last ? ? ? THANKS.... THERESA
Old 05-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Easy things..

Doc here..

Theresa,

It's ALWAYS the easy things that get overlooked...I think because we mentally say to ourself, "Naw...that's too simple!" (like plug not plugged in, fuse blown, O-N, O-F-F switch operator in O-F-F...lol...)

Glad To Hear you fixed the problem...and No..It wasn't simple...look how much trouble you went through to find it!

Great that you Posted back too with the fix..maybe help the next guy...

Have Fun with it...and be sure that DOG is properly Grounded before you take him for a walk in in-climate weather......

Doc
Old 05-17-2005, 08:43 AM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

seems like every one misses the simple things. i know a few times when i would go talk to a pilot for a redball on an f-16 (redball is when something breaks on startup) the pilot would tell me somthing wouldnt work in OFFICIAL mode (OFF) or his O2 mask wouldnt work, and it wasnt even connected. i just think it is normal human nature to overlook the simple things.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.