Hot Rod Forum banner

Turn signal switch problem maybe???

754 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rob Keller 
#1 ·
I'm about finished with my wiring but just had something crop up. All of my lights worked just fine, but I had to pull my steering column to repaint it after scratching it pretty badly. Did the painting, reinstalled it, hooked it up electrically, now my park lights come on, front and rear. Brake lights work as designed, head lights, high and low, just fine, engine runs fine - but the parking lights come on as soon as I turn the master switch. I've run a full wire check, corrected a couple of wires that were hooked up opposite the correct way. I'm going to do one more, JIC I missed something....but :(

The column is an IDIDIT, which means the turn sign switch is a '70's GM (Camaro's look like they are the same as mine on the Rock Auto site). The connector says Delco Remy - so quality should be at least average. I recollect a good many years ago that many light wiring faults were due to a failed turn signal switch and am wondering if I have an early failure piece.

Any comment??

Dave W

#2 ·
:embarrass :embarrass :embarrass :drool:

OK - I'm embarrassed now. I just figured it out. The Emergency Flasher switch was pushed in - oops!!!! :nono: :nono: :embarrass

(Oh well, since I have the steering wheel adapter off, I just ordered a Billet Specialties polished aluminum version that will look much better with all the other polished pieces)

Dave W

#3 ·
So you replaced the switch with a used one?

If so did you check the color thru?

Sometimes you have to jockey around a wire or 2 in a plug to get the position right in the plug.

Just 'cause they look the same they might be wired different.

Look & make sure the color one one side of the plug matches the color going out.

R :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.