turn signals - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 07:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

turn signals

I have a '51 Chevy Styleline and I need to add turn signals. I know I need to get the switch, but what changes do I need to make with the lamps/bulbs. The car has been 12 volt converted. Also, does anyone have any tips for fishing new wire to the back of the car. The previous owner installed a nice new interior and headliner and then bought a wiring harness upgrade. The dome lamp????? right in the middle of all that new work. My primary goal is wires to the back of the car and getting a fish line along the roof channel.

Thanks,
b720
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

you can buy a 4 wire set that is contained in a sheath, much like an extension cord only it is flat. sold by the foot. try a store that sells trailer stuff if nothing else. grote used to have it in their catalogue so napa should sell it. there is also one that is 4 wires bonded together but not in a sheath. it will have the 4 colors that are normally used for rear lights. not too sure how you will string the wire out without at least lifting the edge of the carpet. try to run the wire where you won't always be stepping on it, less chance of mechanical damage that way. be carefull putting the screws back in the threshold so you don't nick a wire (if that is where you are gonna run them.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Most cars run the turn/tail light wiring along a frame rail under the vehicle and to the rear lights. You can connect all the lights together (front and rear) in the engine compartment and then run a small bundle through the firewall to the switch.

Interior wiring usually runs from the dash under the door sill plate, and then up one of the pillars and into the roof to the dome light. Some vehicles are dual wall in the pillars and roof, so you can snake the wire through there and reach the dome light.

Bruce
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
Most cars run the turn/tail light wiring along a frame rail under the vehicle and to the rear lights. You can connect all the lights together (front and rear) in the engine compartment and then run a small bundle through the firewall to the switch.

Interior wiring usually runs from the dash under the door sill plate, and then up one of the pillars and into the roof to the dome light. Some vehicles are dual wall in the pillars and roof, so you can snake the wire through there and reach the dome light.

Bruce
Yes,
Thanks. Actually the factory wiring is run along the roof line from the dash up the post at the windshield. A fish line gets lost along the way. I may resort to running the tail light wires along the frame. Let's see what others say.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

I'm not sure how different a '51 is, but I recently added a factory accessory turn signal kit on a '52. If you can get a genuine GM switch from that era, that's the way to go because they are self cancelling. The GM turn signal switches had a wheel that rolled on the back of the steering wheel and controlled the cancelling mechanism. It's pretty slick, but only works with a stock column and steering wheel.

On this '52, the tail light harness ran along the left (driver's) side of the car at floor level, under the door sill plate. To add turn signals, I only had to run one additional wire to the back of the car. That wire became the left rear turn/stop. The existing brake light wire was used for the right rear turn/stop light.

The front park light sockets need to be changed to dual contacts so they can run dual filament lamps. Two wires need to be run from the turn signal switch to the front turn lamps. Also with the factory accessory turn signal kit, the fused power feed to the flasher screws right into the accessory power panel, so there is no need to cut or splice any wires anywhere.

As far as your dome light wire goes.....forget about it unless you want to redo the headliner. Maybe some of the upholstery experts on the forum will chime in, but I do not believe there is a way to remove and re-install the headliner on that car without ruining it.

Hope this helps.....

Old 03-16-2012, 05:19 PM

turn signals

That is very helpful Joe, Thanks. Are you from Whitehouse?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.