Turn signals blinking randomly - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Turn signals blinking randomly

I went in the other day to get my 64 elky inspected and whaddyaknow, right rear turn signal isn't working, greeeattttt... No big deal, tested the connector to the rear and I'm getting the 12V needed back there so it should be the bulb that crapped out internally. BUT when I was inspecting the rear end of it and switched over to the turn signal that was working on the other side, the signal seemed to be erratic and not the consistent "click, pause, click, pause" that you would normally expect from a turn signal. Instead it seems to blink erratically such as a "click, pause, click, pause....... (for a few seconds)click, pause.... click, pause, click." Very strange. Should I be looking for the problem in the steering column or the wiring? The erratic signalling is also in the front on both sides, not just one. I'm sure it'll pass inspection as soon as I replace the rear bulbs but I want to fix this weird erratic signalling problem if possible.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
I went in the other day to get my 64 elky inspected and whaddyaknow, right rear turn signal isn't working, greeeattttt... No big deal, tested the connector to the rear and I'm getting the 12V needed back there so it should be the bulb that crapped out internally. BUT when I was inspecting the rear end of it and switched over to the turn signal that was working on the other side, the signal seemed to be erratic and not the consistent "click, pause, click, pause" that you would normally expect from a turn signal. Instead it seems to blink erratically such as a "click, pause, click, pause....... (for a few seconds)click, pause.... click, pause, click." Very strange. Should I be looking for the problem in the steering column or the wiring? The erratic signalling is also in the front on both sides, not just one. I'm sure it'll pass inspection as soon as I replace the rear bulbs but I want to fix this weird erratic signalling problem if possible.
Do you have a heavy duty relay? Like the ones sold for trailer use?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:15 AM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

First thing to do is try the 4 way flashers. If they work OK the problem is with turn-signal flasher. Replace it.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, make sure you have known good bulbs and the correct type installed. The load of the bulb determines the proper flash rate of the turn-signal flasher.

Also, the bulb socket (shell) must be grounded. Make sure they are properly grounded to the body. Very common problem.

vicrod
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

You are only flashing 2 bulbs at a time-----a heavy duty flasher is NOT needed.

A weak ground in either the front or rear housing will do that as well.
And make sure the housing has a good connection to the body in the rear and the bumper in the front.

Does that car have factory 4-ways??????-------------my 66 does

Bryan
Old 03-30-2007, 11:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
You are only flashing 2 bulbs at a time-----a heavy duty flasher is NOT needed.

Bryan
The way I read his post, it sounds like his turn signals are flashing even with a bulb missing...this could mean he has a heavy duty relay in there which, as you state, he does not need. It could also cause the erratic flashing.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Make sure your ground wires are in good shape and are securely fastened.

My '99 S 10 was giving me mixed signals, fast, then slow blinking, back-up lights coming on instead of brake lights (sometimes one -sometimes two), and sometimes everything would work fine for a couple days.

I found that the ground wire coming from the harness at the rear of the truck was faulty where the eyelet terminal was connected to the wire and where the eyelet was secured to the frame. I crimped and soldered on a new eyelet and cleaned the frame, used a little di-electric paste and a new bolt and now everything works perfectly

Wheels427
Old 03-30-2007, 02:22 PM

The 1st thing I would check to see if you have a good ground connection to your lights. If that does not resolve the problem replace you flasher unit. Also check to see if your flasher unit is plugged in tight. If it has wiggled loose it can cause problems like you have.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last photo:

oh, tommy---

might also check for a good bond to the housing / socket

when doing the 59-----I had one taillamp that refused to work. Corrosion had gotten between the lamp socket and housing, this = no ground to the body.

Just thought you might want to check that as well

Bryan
Old 03-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Do you have a heavy duty relay? Like the ones sold for trailer use?
Where would the relay be located? I'll look for the ground side of the circuit first and see if it's loose/corroded.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
Where would the relay be located? I'll look for the ground side of the circuit first and see if it's loose/corroded.
Big round item plugged into fuse panel.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Big round item plugged into fuse panel.
Lol the reason I ask is because the wiring job under the dash is a crap shoot and I doubt the "genious" who wired up the car is even using the fuse panel any more.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Cancel that, I thought he might've ghetto rigged it up but luckily the fuse panel is still being used. I saw the relay and it's labeled as HD 552 12V. I'm guessing the HD stands for heavy duty and why would I not need the heavy duty model relay which would cause erratic flashing? And to clear up some confusion, the bulb that was working on the left side was still flashing, just erratically as I stated before. Also flashes this way on the front which wouldn't point to a bad ground since the front mimicks the rear blinking problems. Could very well be the relay.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last photo:

You dont need the HD flasher because you are only flashing 2 bulbs at a time.
The HD flashers for campers/trailers are designed for flashing 4+ bulbs
I don't have a HD in my 79 chev and when I plug in the trailer, the flashing is noticably faster---unplug-back to normal----this is one front, one rear, one on the trailer.

Many vehicles have more than one bulb in the turn circuit front & rear, add that to a trailer that may have more than one lamp signaling on each side=quite a draw.

The turn signal flasher works like a circuit breaker that resets itself----only very fast. With the HD flasher, the load is not heavy enough to heat and break the circuit fast enough or sometimes not at all.

Use a regular flasher with 4 or more bulbs activating----and the flasher cycles very fast----may also burn out the flasher.

Bryan
Old 04-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Thanks for the clarification Bryan.

On another note, got back from buying two new bulbs. Put them back in, checked the left rear side, blinking fine, checked the right rear side, no dice! Starting to get a bit confused at this point now. Whenever you guys say check the ground to see if it's corroded or loose, isn't the ground for the lightbulb the actual housing it resides within? The connector I have that connects to the lightbulb has two probes; one I assume is for your brake lights and the other for the turn signal section of the bulb since it has two seperate windings within the bulb which meannnssss (deep breath ) that current should flow through each individual wire depending on what action you're performing and ground itself via the housing, am I right on this one? If this is indeed correct, I'm still getting voltage spikes back there when the signal is activated; not quite at 12V but shouldn't it still be activating that bulb?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

NOT if your not getting a GOOD ground..the other half of the circuit!

Place a jumper from the frame to the lamp bucket and try again..I'll bet it works!

The reason for the odd voltage reading/timing is because the flasher does its job by heating a tungsten filament inside the relay, biased on the current draw of the circuit, as it heats, it opens the filament, then cools down and closes..thus: "Flash"

If you have a bulb out, it takes longer to heat that filament..less current draw.so the flash rate is slower.

Try the ground jumper to the lamp socket body, should make it flash properly.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.