Hot Rod Forum banner

Turning my dirt work area into usable space

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Ed ke6bnl 
#1 ·
I just bought a house that has "RV" Parking. BY RV parking the seller means a large dirt area next to the house. Since I live in the NW where it rains alot I'd like something more substanative.

I can't afford to pour concrete right now, so anyone have any suggestions that might work & is cheap?

thanks

#4 ·
Call around for road fill or chrushed stone, ask what is the cheapest in your area. I can get crushed limestone for like 30 buck a truck load and less if I go pick it up but I have a few friend in the business. Still if you call around you can get some for cheap, oyster shells work and are cheap, on a road they are not bad but take a long time to break up. Get the smallest agregate you can and the rent a vibrating packer and you will have a pretty good work area, just add more as it sinks.
Last I would frame the area and put in some land scape fabric, staple it to the board and run it about 1 or 2 feet in so that the stone stays in the area and does not get pushed into the yard. When you are ready for a slab you will have a strong foundation that will drain so your risk of frost heave (OK don't know what that is in Louisiana:mwink: ) will be less likely.

#6 ·
Re: Sand

tm454 said:
Dig put the dirt and replace it with sand. No maybe not, you will get stuck and blame it on me??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
This may sound HICK but I level the area and get old free rugs and lay them down and they make a great surface under my travel trailer, and my pole shed and other areas good for some 3-10 years and weeds do not grow, when weeds do start pick it up and trash it and start over. Ed ke6bnl

#7 ·
Re: Re: Sand

Ed ke6bnl said:
This may sound HICK but I level the area and get old free rugs and lay them down and they make a great surface under my travel trailer, and my pole shed and other areas good for some 3-10 years and weeds do not grow, when weeds do start pick it up and trash it and start over. Ed ke6bnl
Would you really want to lay down in something that smells like hobo's and that dude that lives under the bridge? I can see where they would work but dont they get pretty smelly pretty fast?

#10 ·
Re: Re: Re: Sand

BoomerADF said:
Would you really want to lay down in something that smells like hobo's and that dude that lives under the bridge? I can see where they would work but dont they get pretty smelly pretty fast?
I repeat IT WORKS FOR ME, didn't suggest your or anyone else do it. Ed ke6bnl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.