turning over a sbc on a stand by hand - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

turning over a sbc on a stand by hand

i have a 383, that is on an engine stand, and i occasionally spray some WD-40 in the sparkplug holes and turn it over at the balancer with a breakerbar without the distributor in it, i was told by a pretty knowlegeable friend of mine that since i have done this, that before i can put the distributor in it that i will have to pull out and adjust something down in the distributor hole, one other thing is i first turned the balancer the wrong way and the bolt started coming loose, i tightened the bolt back up but im worried that i would have thrown of the timeing marks on the balencer to the tab coming off the block, can the balancer actually be loosed up like this or did the bolt just loosen, im not sure, any input would help thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

There is a key way so you cannot mess up the balancer's position. Dropping the dizzy in is not a drop and go problem- I suggest looking it up. Also, I wouldn't use WD40 for that- it is not a cure all.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Just re torque the balancer bolt, nothing else required. Turn the engine in the correct direction, no need to turn it backwards. And you have enough lube to last a month at least, no more unless it sits longer.

Your buddy was talking about the oil pump drive shaft- it might need to be turned when it comes time to install the distributor. No big deal.

You will have disturbed the oil shaft's position anyway, when you prime the oil system before start-up.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 PM

well the engine will probably sit on the stand for atleast a year, and i only turn it about once every month or so, i don't even think ive done it that often, he said i should be good with using wd40 cause on start up it's all gonna burn up anyway, how would i turn the oil pump shaft, ive seen someone prim the engine before but never watched closely to what they were doing, i saw them put a drill down the dristributor hole and turn it over for a few second, how exactly would i go about doing this as well
Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

you can take a old stock distributer and weld a nut to the top of it.put it in the motor take a rachet or air wrench just not (WFO) and spin the motor over.it will prime it.they make a drive rod for this you put in a 1/2 in drill place in hole and prime it that way.you can order one from jegs/summit/or your local parts store might have one or they can order it. hope this helps. cole
Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The gear has to be ground down so it doesn't contact the cam. I use a drill chuck at the top, as shown below, to turn with a drill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primer 002.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	37464  
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The gear has to be ground down so it doesn't contact the cam. I use a drill chuck at the top, as shown below, to turn with a drill.
good call cobalt. i forgot about the grinding of the gear.i like your setup .cole
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
you can take a old stock distributer and weld a nut to the top of it.put it in the motor take a rachet or air wrench just not (WFO) and spin the motor over.it will prime it.they make a drive rod for this you put in a 1/2 in drill place in hole and prime it that way.you can order one from jegs/summit/or your local parts store might have one or they can order it. hope this helps. cole
If you use an old distributor, you must remove the gear at the bottom of the shaft to use the distributor as an oil pump priming tool. If you don't remove the gear you will not be able to turn the distributor shaft without turning over the engine. That gear is normally used to drive the distributor from the mating gear on the camshaft.

The oil pump driveshaft can be turned by using a long flat bladed screwdriver from above when the distributor is not installed.

Sorry cobalt327. I was typing my reply as you were.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM

i was looking up some breakin procedures, but the engine has already been borken in, we pulled it out of a chevelle with an est. 4-6k miles on the engine, i pulled the valve covers before buying it and everything was really clean so i believed the statment about the mileage, the only reason the engine was pulled was beacause it was sold and the new owner wanted a big block to go into it, he did tell me that it ran really well, and i have all the recipts from the engine as well (good parts, and looked to be well built), i shouldn't have to worry about breaking in the engine all the gaskets, seals and rings should have already been seated, is there any other thing that i should pay piticular attention to when starting up, also, how would you go about perserving the engine for a year
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327

Being partially psychotic, I've wondered, while priming the oil system, "if I left the distributor gear teeth on so the cam gear was engaged, how big would the electric drill have to be to rotate the engine thru the distributor drive". Hummmm?

Bogie
Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
boatbob2

priming engine.....

HI,take an old distributer ,grind off the teeth on the bottom,as stated in other posts,that gear mates with the cam gear. look into the distributer hole,about 8 inches down,you will see a round thing (circle?) with a grooved cross piece inside the circle.do you see it??? that is for the bottom of the distributer to fit into,allowing the dist,to be in phase with the cam.you can take a long screwdriver and turn the grooved piece to line up with the bottom of your old distributer.heres what i do,after the distributer bottom is mated with the grooved piece,i put the dist clamp on,to hold the dist.check to make sure theres oil in the pan, then i use a milwaukee drill and chuck the top (where the rotor would go)of the dist into the drill,turn the drill on and let her rip. you cant hurt the engine if you leave the drill run for 1 minute or 1 hour. i always leave the dist in the engine,and about once a month,i will do the drill trick.you can pull the valve covers ,while running the drill to make sure the push rods are oiling the valve train...have fun.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
Being partially psychotic, I've wondered, while priming the oil system, "if I left the distributor gear teeth on so the cam gear was engaged, how big would the electric drill have to be to rotate the engine thru the distributor drive". Hummmm?

Bogie
You're a sick man Bogie. I like that in a person.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 1

primping a sbc

Get an old dist. Knock the pin out of the cam gear and slide the gear off. Pull the shaft out the top of the housing. place the housing in a vise and saw it off just above the hold down ring where the joke holds it in the intake. saw the top off the top end of the shaft below the button holder, now slide the shaft back into the housing, grind the teeth off the gear (make sure you get all of the teeth off plus some) replace the gear and reinsall the pin to hold it in place. Now I have a lath and I made a groove at the top of the shaft at the top of the housing to hold a e clip to keep the shaft from coming out of the housing. You could use hacksaw and slowly saw around the shaft to make a groove. Drop it in and start spinning until you get oil to the rockers. Happy asphalting
Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie

Bogie
I bet a Milwaukee hole hog has the power, but I think it would sheer the teeth off the dizzy gear before it turned the engine. LOL!!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 PM

im seeing where the majority are telling me to get an old dist. grind the gear down and put it back in the engine, now i have looked in the dist hole and i see the rod sticking up with a slot in it, i one or two of you have also said to put a long flat blade screw driver into the slot, with the other end in a drill and let her rip, is there any difference to these two methods, will one work just as well as the other

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.