TV Cable Adjust 200r4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2017, 07:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TV Cable Adjust 200r4

I have a 1984 Buick Regal Turbo that has an issue with premature gear shifts. At light throttle, seems like I'm thru 3rd gear by 25 mph, and at WOT it shifts around 4000.

I tried to do the TV Cable Adjustment by pushing in the button and pulling the cable back forward the firewall. However I find that it is already as far back as it will go. I confirmed this by then pushing the cable forward and it will ratchet forward 5 or 6 clicks. If I understand the procedure, that is tight as it will go.

The cable looks pretty new, so it doesn't seem like that it is simply a cable that was stretched after 30 years of use.

Any suggestions on what else could be wrong causing the early tranny shifts, or how I can tighten up the cable further??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Reset your cable to factory specs., then with the hood open, motor off, have a friend push the throttle to the floor slowly and see if your cable bracket is loose or bending. I have a ridged system and it can't move. If it given any at all, you need to correct it immediately.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

Check the governor springs. One will be missing or dislodged. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

p.s. - all TV cable adjustments on an older/original transmission should be done with a line pressure gauge. The factory adjustment will work fine as long as you have correct TV spring tension and length. The line pressure gauge eliminates all guessing and trans damage.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64nailhead View Post
Check the governor springs. One will be missing or dislodged. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

p.s. - all TV cable adjustments on an older/original transmission should be done with a line pressure gauge. The factory adjustment will work fine as long as you have correct TV spring tension and length. The line pressure gauge eliminates all guessing and trans damage.
Ok. I'll get a gauge, but assuming I find out the pressure is low, how does that help me adjust the TV cable (which appears to be maxed out already) or know if the problem is with governor as you are suspecting?
Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

To find out if the TV is maxed out pull your throttle arm to WOT and thene see if you can pull the TV cable any further. This will require some reasonable effort, but like your trying squat lift 300lbs.

Are you familiar with what your pressure should be? Without sounding too elementary, you want the pressure to rise just as you move the accelerator pedal so that the transmission sees a pressure rise. This is measured while driving. At WOT you should see a minimum of 175lbs on a stock pump setup. Check the pressures in all gears as well while sitting in the driveway and record all.

The big killer of all 200's is too low of line pressure. They will work like normal, for a short period, with a misadjusted TV cable, but again, for a short period.

If it is too low, then either adjust it to spec or plan a rebuild including the pump. If your fluid is in good condition in terms of color and smell, then I'd guess you'll only need an adjustment if the pressure is too low. If you fluid is wiped out, then there's your sign unfortunately. If your pressure is good, then head for the governor springs. It could be something else, but doubtful IMO.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:43 PM

Just curious, did you find the problem?
Old 06-23-2017, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

I did the WOT test and confirmed the TV Cable does not pull out any further.
I have not yet checked the pressure yet, but I am going to go with what 64nailhead indicated and say this is a govenernor problem.

I am suspecting this entire tranny has been replaced. I know for a fact that it had the wrong Speed-o gears. So the early shifting would be consistent with a tranny from a different car. I think these 200-r4's were attached to an Olds 307 that shifted much earlier than the Turbo Regals.

I've seen some places selling governors for the Turbo regals, but if I understand correctly, unless I find a matching valve body the shift points still wont be right.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.