Hot Rod Forum banner

TV cable adjustment on 700R4

41K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  GARY HOOTEN 
#1 ·
I have a 700r4 behind my 496 67 Camaro,Ford 9 inch rear 3.73:1 gear ratio.
When I first took this car out the trans would shift way too early,so I tightened up the cable on the carb,just got back from a road test.
Car is extremely fast now!!
My question is am I gonna hurt this trans?
Its shifting right at 4000 rpms right now,like BANG,really hard.
So what is the correct method for adjusting the TV cable and can I leave it like it is
Thanks in advance
Al

#2 ·
The geometry for the linkage of a 700r4 is critical to performance and long life. You actually may have allready damaged it if the proper geometry is not designed into the linkage at the carb.
Here is a picture of the correct geometry, provided by art carr.and my last photo bump of my 64

Attachments

#4 ·
topwrench said:
I have a 700r4 behind my 496 67 Camaro,Ford 9 inch rear 3.73:1 gear ratio.
When I first took this car out the trans would shift way too early,so I tightened up the cable on the carb,just got back from a road test.
Car is extremely fast now!!
My question is am I gonna hurt this trans?
Its shifting right at 4000 rpms right now,like BANG,really hard.
So what is the correct method for adjusting the TV cable and can I leave it like it is
Thanks in advance
Al
Also check out linkage angle/travel requirements HERE from transmission guru jakeshoe.

OEM TV cable function HERE.

Q-jet and many other carb Installation Guides (on left side of page) on THIS page, instructions on left side for different carbs.

Hotrodders forum thread HERE.

#12 ·
DO NOT drive the car at all until you have the tv cable adjusted PROPERLY! You can and probably already have ruined the trans by now. Go to www.bowtieoverdrives.com and look up their info on adjusting it.

Excellent sight ........I just read through the whole thing. Anything you ever need to know about this trans. or TV cable setting and testing is there. I,ll be needing it when I get to my engine and trans install. THANKS
Gary Hooten

#6 ·
topwrench said:
Thanks L.A.
That Le Mans is looking good :thumbup:
How do I know if its damaged?
And can I decrease the RPM at which its shifting by lossening up the cable some
Hey thanks top wrench.I love my poncho
Best to get the setup correct and then drive it to see how she acts, dont jump the gun. You could pull the pan to look for any metal or anything else in it to satisfy your curiousity.If it has metal in it you may want to tear it down to see what got munched, otherwise after the TV Cable geometry is corrected, just drive it
Shift points should be manipulated by the governor springs and weights.
check this out here:
http://www.transmissioncenter.com
go to tech support for the 700 and it will have a list of good info. The site is the bomb for all the info you could want

#7 ·
Anyone ever use one of these?

Constant Pressure Valve Bodies
http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/376020/10002/-1

I just pulled my 700r4 out of my Vette because the TV was not right when I got the car.
I fixed it but it was too late and last week I lost all forward gears.
Going to have it rebuilt and will ask the builder what he thinks about the CPVB. I like the fact that you don't have to rely on the TV to regulate pressure, it is only used for shift points.

#9 ·
#11 ·
unless you have the tv cable absurdly out of adjustment you will not damage trans. and anyone who tells you otherwise has had 700r4's that were ready to puke. tightening tension on tv cable will make it shift later , too loose will make it shift too early. having the tv too tight isnt harmful, its annoying. it boosts line pressure. same thing a later model transmission does when it failsafes. a late model transmission does this to prevent any further damage and to firm up shifts. generally speaking 1st to second shift should be between 12 and 14 mph at normal throttle( grocery getting throttle). Ive had pretty decent install luck and gotten close by bringing linkage to full throttle with engine shut of and allowing 1/4 to 3/8's deflection on the cable. that will give you a place to start

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.