Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TV Cable Travel?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnTN 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me specifically how far the TV cable on a 700 R4 travels from the housing at idle to WOT? I have been fighting different issues with my truck for many months. I had a rebuilt trans installed by a garage that did not flush my lines or radiator causing the trans to burn up. I had the orig trans shop do the rebuild. Since the rebuild, I don't think I have enough travel in the cable. I have a qjet that came with the truck originally. I checked the geometry without tv cable hooked up and it is dead on - 23 degrees to the rear of shaft center and 55 degrees forward. If I adjust cable per instructions, there is slack in the cable and trans wont shift right. If I preload the cable per PATC TV 101 site, the TV cable is approx 1/2 to 3/4 inch short which does not allow WOT.
I spent all day last friday with the trans rebuilder (180 miles) and he is stumped. He says travel is right and think bracket is wrong. I said the problem is in the trans regardless where the bracket is (universal cable). He replaced three different governors and two different cables. My truck has never downshifted past 3rd no matters speed and still shifts a little soon particulaly from second to third. My cable only travels approx one inch. I think it needs to travel more. Please help. Bo

#3 ·
Thanks Cobalt for the quick response.
Yes, the geometry is correct. I am using an after market bracket for qjet only because everything is new in the engine compartment. When I go to WOT with cable disconnected and fully pull the tv cable - its about 1/2 inch short. If I adjust the cable in the WOT position as instructions state i have too much slack in cable. I'm thinking if geometry is correct then something is amiss in the trans. As I was typing this - the owner of the trans shop called saying he was concerned about not solving problem. I told him I have to take it to trans shop for diagnosis. Problem is - none of the trans shop have good ratings -I.m stuck here in north Florida thats why I bought a trans so far away.

#4 ·
Link to various info that may help.

I was wondering about the bracket because the adjuster mounting point needs to be set correctly.

From Mad Dog:

Use the following procedure to determine if your ADJUSTER MOUNTING POINT is correct:

a. Push in the Adjust Tab and retract the Slider in the direction shown in Figure 3.
b. Without allowing the Slider to move, pull the cable until it stops and measure from the mounting bracket to the cable end.
c. Add 3/16" to this measurement and that will determine the ADJUSTER MOUNTING POINT distance at full throttle (WOT).

#5 ·
Cobalt: I just went out and measured the travel of my cable and it is less than 1 inch. So, no matter where the mounting bracket is (within reason)- as long as the cable can move freely, it shouldn't be that critical. I'm using an universal cable that the builder installed. OEM are more vehicle specific and that distance would be more critical I believe. I am going to try as one of your links suggested and try to force downshift from second to first. I just feel there is something binding in the valve body causing this issue. Seems like I need another half inch of travel. Builder told me he uses a special self cleaning valve/spring to prevent sticking. That may be the issue.

#7 ·
Update: I had a transmission drop the pan and he found that the throttle valve lever was bad. Once replaced - trans shifts perfect. I didnt quite understand how this lever could caused my problem but it is fixed now. Thanks to all that responded. Hope this helps someone else. Bo

#9 ·
John: Sorry for the late response - been having computer issues! My total travel is approx 1 3/8 in. I now have wide open throttle - once I figure out secondaries now. I sent the old part and my invoice for work to supplier. Hope he will do the right thing!!! Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.