TV car shows...? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 01:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TV car shows...?

Anybody watch Bull ****..... I mean Bull Run ?

What a bunch of drama, airhead drivers and a idiot host, its

like a car version of LOST...

One thing shows like these have in common is the producers

know nothing about cars and don't bother to hire technical consultants that doooooo.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

I couldn't agree more, Carlos. That's exactly why I think Jay Leno needs to get out of the talk show biz and start his own cable TV network for gearheads.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM

New Show

YES, "Jay Lenos' Garage" would make a great show.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
YES, "Jay Lenos' Garage" would make a great show.
I would watch that, anyone have Jays' ph #?

Another idea, perhaps hokey, would be a cartoon show of the old Car-toons magazine, they were a blast to read when I was a kid, are they still around?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Jeno's Garage

Google and search youtube for Jay's Garage, lots of good stuff.

Last edited by Carlos Murphy; 03-03-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Wasn't that guy from Gas Monkey Garage involved with Bull Run somehow? It explains everything about the crappy show if he is.......
Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Unfortunately these shows are made for the "masses" - that is the folks who watch sitcoms every night. The sad part is that a reasonably technical gear head show would fall on its' collective face as the cable channels wouldn't carry anything that could make most folks think. Spend a weekend morning and watch some of the "Powerblock" productions - which I don't believe there has been a new episode made in several years. Or maybe watch the 97th running of Overhaulin' where the idiots rebuild Chip Foose' old F100. Then, possibly the Monster Truck reruns which reoccur every 3rd day........

Bullrun gags me - I tried twice watching, but never made it more then 10 minutes either time - stupid.

I would rather read a book, magazine or hack on the computer after playing with my car or doing home projects. It's a heluva note when the Weather Channel has the best show out of 100 +/- channels that my cable supplier sells me

Dave W
Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I would watch that, anyone have Jays' ph #?

Another idea, perhaps hokey, would be a cartoon show of the old Car-toons magazine, they were a blast to read when I was a kid, are they still around?

Car-toons gone since August 1991. RIP
Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

If you guys are as sick of the car building shows as I am ,Try this... http://www.rodderslife.com.au ...It's refreashing and more what everyones looking for,No hype,no BS, just down to earth regular guys building real cars....... Kanga T.V. ..Or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFytO8lf6k8 ..They have a lot of "how to" thats very interesting and old school....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 03-04-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:

I'm sorry, but I for one am thankful for what is on. I remember when ABC's Wide World of Sports would throw us a bone and cover a drag race. Of course there was some NASCAR coverage. Indy 500. And the local grocery store had a contest which include a figure 8 race on Saturday morning. None of it was technical.

Even though hot rodding is important to us, it is still a niche market. So if keeping the shows on the air means the hosts have to sell some products to pay the bills and they have to do goofy things in order to appeal to a broader audience, so be it.

Do what I do and get a DVR. Then you can get the 10 minutes of good tech info without investing 30 minutes to do it.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

One of our best....The really good ones dont seem to stay on long..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBplXqHaHo8
Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The absolute worst is "Two Guys Garage". When it started out as "Shadetree Mechanic" it was an excellent show with good technical content and interesting projects. Then it morphed into "Crank and Chrome" and the commercials increased and relevant content went away. Now for the last several years its been called "Two Guys Garage" and it is now nothing more than an infomercial for whoever happens to be the sponsor that week.

I stopped watching when Sam Memolo started pushing the "Tornado" a gadget that has been denounced by just about every reputable mechanic in the world. That was the point where I realized these guys would sell their soles for the almighty dollar. What a crock!

On the other hand the host of "Chop Cut Rebuild" was on this site a few years ago and asked how we liked the show. He didn't get the kind of feedback he was looking for as most people ripped it up one side and down the other. HOWEVER, to his credit he did listen to some of it. The biggest complaint at that time was the incredibly irritating background music and insanely amateurish camera angles used. Most of that stopped in the next season and the show is much improved although still pretty hokey.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 AM

I got DVR, I record all the powerblock shows and watch proabably a third of them. I for one am gratefull for the attention these shows provide the hobby. With Cali and the feds looking at us as soft targets for pleasing the greenies we need good pub.

I have sat down and watched nearly any show having to do with cars for that reason but there have been some I just walked away from, tricked out on DIY is just broadcast rice. Literaly an entire show dedicated to instaling a stick-on carbonfiber dash kit and headliner.

They had a cool show about restoring old cars though, the host had an old Tbird and an airstream trailer. Extreemely slow paced but I liked it, but I dont get DIY anymore.

I like extreem 4X4 just because they do a lot of fab work and Musclecar used to have a lot of DIY home fab stuff too but it's mostly gimmics now.

They have a colonade buick I wanna see for now but I think thats all powerblock has for me anymore.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Car shows

I TiVo all the shows, even TRUCK-U...

Watching it depends on the shows topic, I usually just delete it... bro.

I almost never watch CAR CRAZY, its mostly interviews and when I watch PASS TIME its just for the cars, last night they ran a 10 second VW bug and one show featured SHAKEY PUDDIN, a 55 Chev gasser that pulled a great wheeley.

I very much like EXTREME 4X4, (I miss Jesse) excellent content and I do off road in my much moded 88 Ranger.
http://s864.photobucket.com/home/ChuckPringle

MY CLASSIC CAR is OK, once in a while they do a show at Jay Leno's shop/museum/garage and that's always a good thing. One of my favorite Leno shows was the 66 TORANADO build mainly because I used to own one.

Most all of the car shows are FOR PROFIT and it shows.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
...... I very much like EXTREME 4X4, (I miss Jesse) excellent content and I do off road in my much moded 88 Ranger.
Jessy is currently filling in for Kari Byron on Myth Busters while she's out having her baby.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.