TV Tommy Ivo's Wagon Master - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 PM
The Dude

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TV Tommy Ivo's Wagon Master

A 4 wheel drive, 4 Engined Monster! Built and owned by TV Tommy Ivo!
http://kustomsandchoppersmagazine.co...-wagon-master/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

My brother and I grew up in a Nailhead world. Our dad was a Buick salesman he and I use fight in the back seats of new Buick demos. We still both have a number of Buick Nailhead powered cars and he is a well known parts guru. So that four engine Buick car was of course our favorite car of all time, with Tommy's Twin engine car coming in second (the first car to break 8 seconds on gas). My brother has ended up digging up rare parts for Tommy when he was restoring his T (The Hilborns on it, for instance, my brother provided). My brother and I can be seen in the Pete and Jakes hotrodding book speaking with Tommy in the pits at the Fremont Drag strip next to his Jet car in 1988 trying to talk him into buying back the four engine car and running it! NO KIDDING! He bought the car back and restored it and ran it in his farewell tour. I missed it as the race was rained out here in Fremont! I still kick myself in the butt for not driving to Sacramento to see it the following weekend. I have seen it run in videos and it was amazing. 32 cyl all firing at a different time! It sounds like a swarm of bees when it is going down the track. At that time with the ex-wife riding my back and Sac was such a long ways away (about two hours) now I go there all the time and not think a thing of it, I'll be there this Sunday. But DAMN I wish I had seen it running. Tommy sent me an email years later with a photo of his cars on display in Don Garlits museum in Florida.

Yes, Tommy Ivo is a hero of drag racing to me. I hadn't seen that web site and thank you for posting it, that is a great bunch of history there!

Brian
Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

that blows my mind. ive seen them before but it still blows my mind every time i see crazy cars like that. i love how they made it from sheet aluminum over a wood jig, the car is sweeet!!

one question though, what does the drive train look like on a 4 engine funny car? i have never seen under the skin and cant put together how power gets from the engine to the wheels.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine4gmc
that blows my mind. ive seen them before but it still blows my mind every time i see crazy cars like that. i love how they made it from sheet aluminum over a wood jig, the car is sweeet!!

one question though, what does the drive train look like on a 4 engine funny car? i have never seen under the skin and cant put together how power gets from the engine to the wheels.
Picture a twin engine rail with one motor in front of the other like the "freight train". Get two of those and turn one around and run the motors in reverse! That is how this car is set up, it's that simple.

You can see the front end in this photo, the rear is exactly the same.

By the way, it is said that Tommy ran this car for a number of years and never even had a head off one of the motors! He was quoted as saying this was the most reliable exibition car of all time. He said "The only thing that wore out were the tires".

Brian
Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

This was the setup in his Twin engine car. It had a pair of flywheels that meshed together with one of the motors running in reverse.

One of the most beautiful cars of all time in my opinion.

By the say, Tommy is a SUPER cool dude.

Brian
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

Here's another photo from the underside of the four engine car.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

I saw the Showboat run Indy in the early sixties... and still have the pictures I took in front of the D-A Tower with my Brownie camera! I was a young teenager then.

I was at Indy another year, when they had that glass sided transporter with TWO FEDs inside!!! I also watched them back that red Corvette off of the top of it, with the worlds longest set of ramps! I don't know who was driving it down those skinny ramps... but it made my whimpy little butt pucker!

Last time I saw the Wagon Master run, was at the old Tucson drag strip in the late seventies/early eighties (I believe). I think it was after he bought the car back. I was lucky enough to talk to Tommy in the staging lanes that day. He impressed me as a "genuine", good-natured, and friendly guy, without the big ego some famous racers have.

Always a fan, and that hasn't changed. My own faves would be the streamliner, his twin engine car, and the Barnstormer, in that order.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the pics and explanation, now its pretty clear how all that works together, that is certainly wild!!

love that twin engine as well!!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
He impressed me as a "genuine", good-natured, and friendly guy, without the big ego some famous racers have.

Could NOT be more true, this is one stand up gentleman! I am jealous as heck that you saw the car run, darn it I wish I had.

Brian
Old 02-03-2012, 05:47 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

"Half and half" (notice the induction system(s)):

I saw the Showboat run at Valkaria, FL. From my model collection:

Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Wasn't that wild! I still wonder how in the heck does that work. If one motor is "holding back" the other being they are spinning each others crank, how can one motor being different than the other help in any way?

I have that model and the single of the four engine. I started building it but stopped at some point, I need to get that out again.

Brian
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 PM

I can't remember but I thought they started the multiple engines when nhra did not want to run nitromethane only gas but I could be wrong. I moved to Arizona and just found out the guy who raced the hemi under glass is out here somewhere and show the car now and then. He let me sit in the car back in 66 when I was back in New York at national speedway. My mom woked the concession stand there so I got to meet all the drivers even sat in big daddy's rail. Teleflex trick truck l.a. dart, little red wagon. Was there the day the gt-1 crashed, it was a gto with 1 seat. The smell of rubber never left my brain.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.