Twilight Zone and my temperature gauge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 06:04 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Twilight Zone and my temperature gauge

First of all I never claimed to be a smart man...

Recently purchased a truck, mainly for the motor but I need to drive the truck until I'm ready to do the swap. I've got major transmission problems so I guess this question isn't really too important but it's really been bothering me. So maybe someone can help.

Truck was originally equipped with a 400, someone swapped in a 454. They failed to hookup the temperature gauge, so I ran out and purchased a $10 MECHANICAL gauge from Walmart. I slapped it in, fired up the truck and watched the gauge...I got nothing on it.

I figured it was a cheap POS so I bought another one. Slammed that in. Fired up the truck, watched the gauge...got nothing. It was then that I noticed on the "NEWER" of the two gauges, the NEEDLE was stuck BEHIND THE STOPPER! This really pissed me off. So I grabbed the older gauge, took it inside my house, fired up the gas stove and stuck the sensor into the fire...the needle quickly hopped up. I pulled it out of the fire, reinstalled it into the truck.

I fire the truck up and get nothing on the gauge. I let the truck run for several minutes, ensuring there is enough fluid in the radiator. I squeeze the upper radiator hose and there is indeed coolant flowing. I look at the gauge...nothing.

I turn off the truck, and I notice after the truck is off for several minutes the gauge is reading somewhere around 190 degrees...but when the truck is running the gauge is stuck at 130.

I find it HIGHLY un-friggin-likely that this motor (454) is running at 130 degrees.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? As always, I really appreciate you taking the time to throw your two cents in.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 07:09 PM

1st off I use the same temp gauge from walmart and they work great. Back to your problem I also have a 454 and if you have a good rad the engine can run that low. I will bet you that your engine does not have a thermostat or the stat is stuck in the open position.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

Well I can check the stat, but I honestly think that it's working because for the first few minutes I run the motor, my upper radiator hose is nice a chilly...after a few minutes, I can feel coolant in the hose.

But I'm not going to argue with any advice I get. I'll check the thermostat the next chance I get.

Also, I think the radiator in the truck now is actually for a 400 CID motor. I can't imagine the previous owner having swapped out the radiator too. But there's really no way for me to tell.

I'd figure the motor would run hotter than 130 if I just have it idling in my driveway for several minutes.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:31 PM

If your engine is running that cool with no stat or an open stat then it seems to me you have a good engine and rad combo. I love my 454 they are a great engine tons of torque.

Just as a side note there seems to be a lot of morons out there that think running an engine with-out a stat is a good thing.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:33 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by unstable
I'd figure the motor would run hotter than 130 if I just have it idling in my driveway for several minutes.
A stuck open t-stat could cause this in a moderate climate. If you feel the guage is good and the system doesn't have air in it the t-stat would be a good place to look. I would grab a new 180* t-stat and throw it in. You could always take out the t-stat and put it in a pot of water and heat it till it opens while monitoring temp to see exactly when it opens but for the cost of a new t-stat I would just install a new one.

Old 10-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

I didn't set the motor up so I can't say for sure if it's a good combo or not. Casting numbers actually says it's a Marine Inboard 310 HP.

I'll definitely check the stat. It's just SCARY to me running this thing and not really knowing how hot it's running. I don't want to blow a head. I did that on my wife's 93 Pontiac Grand-Am because I was being a *******.

t-stat it is. Currently about 60 degrees where I live, in MASS.

Will post back my findings. Should be able to grab a new stat tomorrow and throw it in right when I get home from work before it gets dark.

thanks guys.

Last edited by unstable; 10-05-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

Ok I swapped in the 180 thermostat...let the truck run for awhile...and I get readings on the gauge.

Thanks for the help. It's really appreciated.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Older GM guages suck! I have 4 Gm vehicles, 3 older trucks and an '86 caprice. The two oldest trucks, '76 and '77 have really crappy guages. Volt readings are off by almost 2 volts. Gas guages are waaaaaaay off and the temp guages are totally wacky. I"m about to get an under dash mechanical temp guage to be sure.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

I'm a newb when it comes to all these little details. The biggest project I've tackled was when I was in High School...me and my buddy ripped an inline-6 out of his truck and put in a 360. It was a fun project but we had the guidance of the shop teacher the entire time.

Anyhow, I figure Oil and Temperature are 2 critical gauges. My Gas gauge is hosed, when I turn the truck on, it goes WAAAY past "FULL". I don't really care, but I know it's near empty.

Those damn Walmart gauges were really pissing me off.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.