Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - twin i beam in hot rod
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
With the low annual mileage that we put on our hot rods, (In my case 3500 mi) tire wear shouldn't be that much of a factor. On a daily driver it is much more of a consideration.
Good point. I do put quite a few miles on my rods each year but still less than "daily driver" numbers. I haven't seen any camber wear on any of the tires yet. I did have some scuffing on the '32 tires (the one above with air bags) but that turned out to be inadequate shocks. I installed some Carrera adjustable shocks and the problem was solved.

Main point for twin beams is to make sure the camber is correct during the fabrication process. The up and down movement of the axles during normal driving tends to distribute the camber wear evenly over the tires. However, if the axles are not installed correctly to begin with and the camber is off plus or minus, it will create excessive tire wear on either the inside or the outside of the tire.