Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - twin i beam in hot rod
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
I don't really understand what you have against the front ball bearings. All modern cars have ball bearings in those sealed units. And as for the brakes, there has to be some alternative to changing the whole front axle. Having said that, it is your ride and you are free to do as you want. I am with Brian though, I just don't understand.
I don't believe any car has "ball bearings" they have "Roller bearings".

I understand the front end is antiquated on that Chevy, without a doubt like my Rambler it is an odd beast with the knee action shocks and all. I just don't think the twin I beam is the way to go. I have been told that it isn't my car so I can't this little Chevy the way I would, it is his after all.

But it is such a nice car I just can't see doing much of anything to it. If it were all rebuilt it would drive just fine, I have put thousands of miles on those bearings and brakes and never thought a thing of it.

But alas, it's not my car! Crap, but honestly GFaRT, I still say that split I beam isn't for that car, there are much better ways to go. And you certainly don't need the GIANT brakes that truck has! I just don't get it, why would you need those GIANT brakes?

Brian