twin TH350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2003, 12:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

twin TH350

Hi
Anybody heard of a twin transmission. Per example two Th350 transmissions placed together?
It would give great gears. First would be 6.3:1. You would have 5 gears. Would this work? The only problem I would see is to be ensuring the second transmission has enough oil pressure from the first transmission. Has anybody don this before? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2003, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

I remember reading something about a double trans.

Thing is.... It was probably in the early to mid 80's and I remember very little about how it was done, or who did it. I'm thinking they used two TH350s and the rear one ran off of pump pressure provided by the front.

Another one I remember is the "Glideco". A Power Glide with a 3 speed Lenco mounted behind it. It would give you a 5-speed with a converter instead of a clutch. I guess it didn't catch on either....Dan
Old 06-10-2003, 08:51 PM
v8s10.org

Last photo:

I have a magazine from the mid 90s that had a article on a company that made couplers form doubling up transmissions,but i can't remember what mag it was in.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:43 PM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

I seem to remember Popular Hot Rodding doing an article on this in the early/ mid 90's.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

I went and did some searching......Sure enough, July 1995 Popular Hot Rodding, page 90.

Built by U.S. Speed Research, located at 851 W. Layton Ave. Milwaukee, Wi. Phone, 414-744-7166.

They used two TH400s with a custom adapter. The rear trans was fed by a hollow output shaft in the front trans, and a line connecting the high pressure ports together. Dan
Old 06-12-2003, 06:51 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I've seen this done with two stick trannys in trucks (2WD and 4x4). Lets you run a high axle (like 2.73 or so) and still have great rock crawling/pulling abilities. Need a long enough wheelbase though. The second trans is usually an older model three speed, but only 2nd and 3rd are used, though some rock crawlers use all three gears. With only 2-3, one cable will shift it. Run in 2nd all the time, but use 3rd as an "overdrive". 3rd is really 1:1, but with the high axle ratio works like OD would. More like a two speed rear axle. Should work behind an auto trans as well, but would have to be careful shifting -- would probably be hard on synchros, and might have to come to a complete stop to downshift. I know you would if using first gear on the rear trans, 2-3 and 32 shifts might be okay if you just let off the gas.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:35 AM

Hey Ohio-Dan,
Why do they use a hollow output shaft in the front transmission to fed the rear transmission? The line connecting from the pump of the first transmission is used to fed the second transmission oil pressure?
Old 06-12-2003, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

I'll scan the article and send it to you. It will probably be later this evening before I get it done. I'll be off to work here shortly and I don't think I'll have time. Dan
Old 06-13-2003, 11:09 AM
'70 Chevelle '70 C10

Last photo:

A guy who has a '69 Camaro Z28 with a bored and stroked 400 small block with aroung 10 grand in the motor. He runs a TH350 with a splittler so it's a 6 speed, you have to be cordinated to drive it becasue you have to go 1low- 1high, 2low-2high... and so on. That Car will put stains in your underwear, 0-113 in 6.53sec, 1/8th mile time... Pretty scary
Old 06-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Muy uncle had an old military 1 1/2ton truck that had a 5 speed tranny with a 3 speed granny and 2 speed rear end - 30 speeds! I would ride with him when he went to cut wood. He lived in the mountains and needed every one of those gears. Seemed like to took half an hour to get up to speed.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.