twin turbo 350 on a budget?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

twin turbo 350 on a budget??

i was amazed when i saw on t.v.,a twin turbo 350 corvette wich put down 650 horse power and get 20 plus m.p.h. in normal driving.
that got me to thinking, if you took a strong built block,found a pair of turbos in the salvage yard from say a quad four or the like,as long as they match, bastardize up the plenums nescessary,probably would also need a custom made chip to run the turbos (or is there another way?)
is this even feasable? can it work?anyone done it?
could combination lay down 500 h.p.?, maybe, what does everyone think?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 11:42 PM

It's possible, yes. You could even use a single turbo from a diesel and lay down some good numbers.

There is a few things to think about, though. First, let's say you got two turbos from a quad 4, and say they weren't shot, 1lb per minute ~ 1HP. I can't imagine that those turbos can flow enough air effeciently to make 250 HP each. Also, I'm going to say that they have realitivley restrictive exh. housings so they could be spooled quickly.

No what would prolly work pretty good is two turbos of a stock 91-94 Eclipse/Talon/Laser, I know those are capable of flowing enough air to make close to 300HP. Although, with those turbos in stock form, I think you'd be looking at a motor that made peak TQ at 2000~3000 RPM and peak HP @ 5,000 RPM, which could be good or bad, I guess.

As for custom chips (and other things), it would certinley be nessesary. If it was in a mechanical, carb. SBC, you'd have to either have the turbos pull air through the carb, or have the fuel pressure raise at a 1:1 ratio with the boost pressure to prevent a lean condition when there is positive manifold pressure. Not to mention fabbing up headers, oil and coolant plumbing, etc....

Not really sure if I answered your question or not, but hopefully it helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

i think i remember finding a web page on that very subject..odd
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...0309pon_turbo/
I don't think it's on a 350 specifically but it's definitely on a budget
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The title Name is where you already went wrong "twin turbo 350 on a budget??" there is no such thing as a budget when you start talking "twin" turbo's. Hope you have deep pockets to start a project like this. It can be done, just not cheap.

Steve
Old 08-04-2005, 06:02 AM

I can't imagine that you can get 5 to 600 hp out of an standard engine.
You wil have to change pistons, cam, heads i think or do i think wrong.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:10 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

You can get 500-600 hp from a totally stock engine -- maybe once!
That's likely where it will come apart.

Twin turbos can be done on a budget, but not at the high boost levels you'd need for 500+ hp. If you want to use small turbos on a relatively stock engine, limit boost to around 7 psi. That will still put a 300 hp 350 in the 350-400 range, depending on what mods were done to the engine. Keep oil in it and control detonation and it should hold together.

I'd go the remote turbo route if keeping boost low and using small junkyard units (see www.ststurbo.com). Keep it simple! Run 2" dual exhaust, mount the turbos just in front of the axle, and run the 3" or so exhaust from the turbo straight out to each side in front of the rear wheel. The turbo itself makes the 90 degree bend. The compressors will be on the inside and feed two 2" or 2.5" tubes going back to a plenum on top of the engine, feeding a carb or EFI throttle body. Can't get much simpler, and it would be cheap compared to trying to mount high boost units up near the engine.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:07 AM

Last photo:

For most decent engines i'm aware of 6-8 psi is considered pretty safe, and 10 psi is considered pushing it. Anything above that is likely to be a one time trip to the scrap yard. If you read into the article I posted, the guy even admits that the thing probably wont last wit hthe boost he is running, and he has some modified internals too. If cheap is what you're going for though, I don't think you could beat a junkyard block tied to 2 junkyard turbos running 6-8 psi. 7 psi is about a 35-40% increase from stock horsepower. Just think of it this way, atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, so every time you boost 14.7 psi you theoretically gain 100% more horsepower. In the real world there are losses but you get the idea. It is feasible to get around 400 hp without blowing things up, and from what i've heard the DSM turbos can run enough boost to generate about 300 hp each. I'm not sure if the wastegate on DSM turbos is builtin or not, but you should definitely make sure it is set to a boost level your engine can handle. Let me know what happens cuz I was thinking of running a similar setup myself.
Before you dive into it you should read a book or two about boosting though...
a pretty thourough one is Maximum Boost by Corky Bell
I have heard there is a more technical book out there but unfortunately I forgot the name of it
Old 08-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Mopar had turbos on 2.2 and 2.5 engines. if you use two of them you should have the equivalent of a turbo engineered for a 4.4 or 5.0 liter engine. Since the chevy 350 is a 5.7, if you use two 2.5 turbos you will only be off 0.7 of a liter from what the turbos were engineered for. I am thinking that that would just result in a little less turbo lag. I am not sure what your horsepower output would be but it would be interesting to find out.

I think that if you use a single turbo from a diesel engine you need to find one that was from an engine that is close to 350 cid. For example, I have a turbo from a 6.9 with a banks turbo kit. 6.9 is close to 420 cubic inches or about 70 cubic inches bigger than a 350. I would think that this would result in increased turbo lag and poor performance.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 PM

i have less than 2500 in my twin turbo motor in a 88 chevy pickup and im running elevens. its a stock short block with 180000 plus miles on it the heads are stock except they have a home port and polish job new valves and springs stock tbi intake thats has also been ported and polished and a tb for a 454 it controlled by a megasquirt efi system the turbos are garret m10 from a turbo mopar of the eighties and the intercooler is of the same origin i have three of them welded together the turbos are connected to a pair of shorty headers turned backwards and custom adapters made to make them work and all the tubing and welding was done by me. so twin turbos and going fast on a budget doesnt exist? i have proved u wrong and if u dont beleive come on down and race. i think turbos can be very cheap if done right and lots of planning is done
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbopickup
so twin turbos and going fast on a budget doesnt exist? i have proved u wrong and if u dont beleive come on down and race. i think turbos can be very cheap if done right and lots of planning is done
Twin, these are harsh words for a 1st post on this board . How many passes have you got on this combo? How much boost are you running? Sounds like not much boost if your only in the 11's You also shouldn't call people out to race when your in the 11's, thats not that fast for a twin turbo engine, you may just get a taker

Steve
Old 08-20-2005, 12:17 AM

sorry about the harsh words i was just trying to say that its possible to do a budget turbo. yes i know its not incrediblly fast but its a full size chevy pickup with a full stereo system with a stock bottom ended slightly worked heads and intake that were both stock low boost kinda 5-6 from each turbo it will be alot faster soon i have a big block in the works but i have no other vehicle besides i have limitied time to install it and work on it and college and working 2 jobs plus a project vehicle is tough
Old 08-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:

I just had a flashback to twin turbo 289's and a 67 Galaxie 500.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

twinturbopickup: You answered the question though, it can be done on a budget with a stock engine if you're not looking for all out top hp. Having plenty room under a pickup hood helps! One problem: your photo album is empty! Take some underhood shots and stick in there!

CrashFarmer2: It doesn't quite work that way! Those 2.2L turbos will feed a V-8 engine a bit more than twice the size of the 2.2L. The little fours generally turn faster than a V-8, therefore pump more air. You'd have to figure the amount of air pumped (just capacity @ rpm) and compare that number doubled to what the V-8 will move at the rpm it normally runs. I'd use the rpm both are rated at to compare, as that's the rpm the max power was produced in stock form. Use the normally aspirated version for both engines for the comparison. A 350 V-8 (5.7L) probably moves about the same air as a pair of 2.2L fours. It all depends on the rpm run.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
My bike has 4wheel disc brakes

Last photo:

Definitely can be done, but its the definition of budget to YOU. Your idea of budget might be $500 somebody else's idea of budget might be $5,000. Quite a difference. I've seen some pretty shotty looking setups, cars made from almost purely junkyard parts. But then they head down the track and they're running respectable times, with good reliability, considering. More details of of what exactly you wanted to do, and what your budget is, would make the question a little easier to answer.

Good book to look into for budget making SBCs would be. Small Block Chevy's on a budget. I believe the most expensive engine in there was $3000, and was pushin 750hp, reliably. Nat Asp. Correct me if im wrong, I havent read the book in a LONG time.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Like was said, the term budget is relative. However, done correctly and safely, a turbo (let along twin turbo) setup can be quite spendy. It depends on what power output you are looking for and what boost you have to run to get that power.

Figure your engine makes 300hp NA. To double that and get 600hp, you need an additional 14.7 PSI. However, to realistically get that, you are going to need upwards of 16lbs of boost due to loss in the turbo system. A system running 16PSI is going to need an intercooler to be able to make that without incredible heat (not to mention having to turn major RPMS *the real killer of an engine*).

Keep in mind that on a Twin turbo system, you are going to have to double man things a single system would have (turbos, wastegate, piping, etc).

There is a good amount of preparation that needs to go into the engine to safely run a turbo. But keep in mind, the REAL danger to an engine is RPM. If you turn the engine at the same RPM as you did before the turbo, you aren't creating a whole lot more force than was in the system already. Remember that rotational forces are quantative, compressive forces (like those of increased boost) are not. The main danger induced by a turbo system that you should build the engine/overall system to control is heat.

Dont forget about all the piping. You must plumb the new intake, exhaust, wastegate integration (back into the main exhaust), intercoolers, oil feed lines, coolant feed lines, etc.

I guess the main question is, what is YOUR budget, and YOUR goals?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.